Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL apprehension

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 am
Post subject: AFL apprehensionReply with quote

I read on a post that poor game slots given us was detrimental
Well IMHO i believe AFL wants a strong Collingwood for $$$$$$$$$$$$
but also a Collingwood that if they say jump we say how high
They want total control and feel uncomfortable with our size

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the adverse game scheduling last year was a parting gift from Andrew Dimetriou. I think there is something in your opinion and whist the AFL like the high attendance figures that bring the big dollars they also want a Collingwood that tows the line. The poor attendance figures for Collingwood last year could translate into lower membership figures and revenue next year.

The AFLs other focus has been on the big dollars associated with television rights. I would suggest that the Sunday Collingwood games would have been quite successful from a TV viewer perspective although I have no evidence to back this up.

It is evident over recent years with the number of Sunday late afternoon/evening games and the games payed at other times outside of the traditional times that the needs of the game going supporters has been a secondary consideration to the television rights.

Gil says he wants to improve the game day experience and increase game attendance. So now we have a new AFL CEO who in the past was part of the problem but now professes to be the solution. That may in actual fact be the case and it will be interesting to sit back and see what transpires over the next 24 months.

Gil's first big test was the away jumpers that Port had to use in the prelim final. Gil could have intervened here and stipulated that both teams play in their traditional colours. He dismally failed in this area.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:03 am

Reminds me enough of something I posted six years ago that I am going to dig it up and repost it.

If I remember rightly I was having an argument with rocketronnie, and again, if I remember rightly, six years later my side of the argument is looking better than his.

I bet he doesn't see it that way though - if he's around that is.

We haven't lost a game in the past two weeks so he probably has no purpose to visit Nick's at the minute

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 pm

I simply think the AFL got too cocky and greedy. They thought supporters would attend in big numbers regardless of the scheduling. This year has demonstrated that there is a soft underbelly to football attendances nowadays, with many people content to watch it on TV. The expansion of the competition, the assistance given to interstate teams, the Essendon drugs fiasco, the cost of attending, plus the Americanisation of pre-game and half time 'entertainment', the sterile stadium environments at the MCG and Docklands which have no 'home ground' feel, plus the incessant speed of the game due to the expanded interchange which has dramatically changed the look and feel of the game, have all contributed to an overall decline in passion for the game. I think the game is actually in a very bad way at present and I don't see much sign of it improving.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Scheduling like we witnessed in 2014 makes it particularly tough for people who live a certain distance outside of Melbourne. I'm only 2 hours away on what is now an excellent freeway but even I think twice about attending Sunday night/twilight games.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
I believe the adverse game scheduling last year was a parting gift from Andrew Dimetriou. I think there is something in your opinion and whist the AFL like the high attendance figures that bring the big dollars they also want a Collingwood that tows the line. The poor attendance figures for Collingwood last year could translate into lower membership figures and revenue next year.

The attendance figures last year can hardly be called 'poor'

Average attendance for 2014 games was 47,647. The 13th highest for the last 30 years.

I'd call 1987 poor with an average of 24,390!
The highest average is 2010 when an average of 63,917 attended (2 packed GFs pumped that average up a bit)

The average attendance at Pies games over the last 28years is 47,103. So in fact, 2014 attendances were above average.

I agree Sunday twilight games are ridiculous and our games should be better scheduled. But to say attendances have dropped is just plain wrong.

roar 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:37 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The expansion of the competition, the assistance given to interstate teams, the Essendon drugs fiasco, the cost of attending, plus the Americanisation of pre-game and half time 'entertainment', the sterile stadium environments at the MCG and Docklands which have no 'home ground' feel, plus the incessant speed of the game due to the expanded interchange which has dramatically changed the look and feel of the game, have all contributed to an overall decline in passion for the game. I think the game is actually in a very bad way at present and I don't see much sign of it improving.

Well said, Rudey.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Part of the problem is tv games are broadcast live. So why go to a game in the middle of winter on a Sunday evening and get ripped off on prices when you could stay at home and watch it live.

As for Collingwood have such shit times a lot of other clubs esp Doggies North have been having this problem for years.

Basically schedule the games when it is convenient for people to attend and let the TV stations broadcast at the time that suits them.

If you have a problem with this consider all the viewers outside of Victoria that have put up with broadcast times that suited the network not them.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Skids wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

The attendance figures last year can hardly be called 'poor'

Average attendance for 2014 games was 47,647. The 13th highest for the last 30 years.

I'd call 1987 poor with an average of 24,390!
The highest average is 2010 when an average of 63,917 attended (2 packed GFs pumped that average up a bit)

The average attendance at Pies games over the last 28years is 47,103. So in fact, 2014 attendances were above average.

I agree Sunday twilight games are ridiculous and our games should be better scheduled. But to say attendances have dropped is just plain wrong.

This figure was inflated by the terrific attendances this year at the new Adelaide ground, which is a genuine 'home ground' fortress, unlike the sterile stadiums everywhere else.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:07 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I simply think the AFL got too cocky and greedy. They thought supporters would attend in big numbers regardless of the scheduling. This year has demonstrated that there is a soft underbelly to football attendances nowadays, with many people content to watch it on TV. The expansion of the competition, the assistance given to interstate teams, the Essendon drugs fiasco, the cost of attending, plus the Americanisation of pre-game and half time 'entertainment', the sterile stadium environments at the MCG and Docklands which have no 'home ground' feel, plus the incessant speed of the game due to the expanded interchange which has dramatically changed the look and feel of the game, have all contributed to an overall decline in passion for the game. I think the game is actually in a very bad way at present and I don't see much sign of it improving.

Yeah, I'm inclined to this view that is, the AFL were too greedy & lazy.

I think laziness & greed extends beyond time scheduling but also to the way the season started. A staggered start meant there was no clear delineation to the AFL season commencing. Compare this to the fabulous opening of the soccer season this year & I'm no huge fan of soccer.

If they can get the start right then this can be a solid foundation for the the rest of the season. However, too much money from broadcasting rights means the game attender the mugs are not considered as valuable.

Now pass me the crown larger or the AFL micro brew as I go to the Landy room at the G to watch the unwashed sit in the stands, watch the stripper, eat my 4 course meal, watch the flat screen panel, get my bets on, check the stockmarket vagaries, send some lewd photos to 'me mates' just don't show the missus. The AFL is looking after me.

Wot's all this fuss then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: