Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

More short kicking

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:18 pm
Post subject: More short kickingReply with quote

The short kicking game or ball movement has clearly worked well for the Hawks - maybe Port has also started to use it well. I think the Pies should focus on more short kicking to hold the ball/change momentum etc during games.

Not only it is a good strategy compared with big kicks backwards or frantic handballs followed by long kicks forward I also believe it is easier to kick accurately over a short distance compared to a long kick. Our kicking accuracy/efficiency is pretty poor and probably will not improve relative to other teams very much given our young list, so I am hoping to see the Pies in 2015 adopt this component to our game.

It requires hard running into space to support teammates etc but it builds confidence in the young guys kicking and marking.

I would not be shocked to see many teams adopt it more in 2015 - hopefully we are one of them!

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but I also think that to beat the best you have to come up we a game plan that beats theirs. Otherwise we are just playing catch up.

That's where mick's boundary line method worked for the time when it was new and ours to own.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Umps need lessons concerning how far 15m is. 3 Hawks goals were from short passes that travelled no more than 8m and another 2 that were 60/40 of just being short of 15m. The receivers just stop and claim forcing the Umps to blow the whistle. They did it all season and got away with it.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:08 pm

bwphantom wrote:
Umps need lessons concerning how far 15m is. 3 Hawks goals were from short passes that travelled no more than 8m and another 2 that were 60/40 of just being short of 15m. The receivers just stop and claim forcing the Umps to blow the whistle. They did it all season and got away with it.

You're talking about Hawthorn Phantom!!! They can do as they please.Short kicks,thuggery, head high hits,no one gets suspended.They are "Unsociable" after all!!
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:41 pm

agreed about the sub 15m passes phantom
the running patterns of the hawks seem to find a man spare for an easy pass as they transition up the ground
yes they have the skill to pass it but they have a system we need to tap into they are methodical
we are rush and hope

Az 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Not trying to put our players down, but had we of attempted this game plan we would have looked like a bunch of morons. We simply don't have anywhere near the kicking efficiency of Hawthorn to pull it off. Dimma at Richmond attempted it, realised nobody could kick then rightly changed it up (after that sook Riewdolt called them out on it). Hell regardless of Mick's famous press, I believe half the reason we even kicked down the boundary was because we weren't the greatest disposals of the footy which at the time Geelong owned.

I'm with Bucks in the capacity that we aren't so much as playing catch up with Hawthorn, rather the teams that are on their way up are the ones we need to keep up with. Port Adelaide being a great example. Hard running transition footy looks like the game of the future and I believe that's what we're trying to build towards if I remember him correctly.
Az 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Not trying to put our players down, but had we of attempted this game plan we would have looked like a bunch of morons. We simply don't have anywhere near the kicking efficiency of Hawthorn to pull it off. Dimma at Richmond attempted it, realised nobody could kick then rightly changed it up (after that sook Riewdolt called them out on it). Hell regardless of Mick's famous press, I believe half the reason we even kicked down the boundary was because we weren't the greatest disposals of the footy which at the time Geelong owned.

I'm with Bucks in the capacity that we aren't so much as playing catch up with Hawthorn, rather the teams that are on their way up are the ones we need to keep up with. Port Adelaide being a great example. Hard running transition footy looks like the game of the future and I believe that's what we're trying to build towards if I remember him correctly.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 am

Az wrote:

The game is always changing, I'm biding my time for when fat old slow blokes are the latest craze.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:35 am

Defender wrote:
Az wrote:

The game is always changing, I'm biding my time for when fat old slow blokes are the latest craze.

I should wash my socks, iron my shorts and tighten my studs then.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:44 am

bwphantom wrote:

Totally agree about umps and dodgy distance calls. Now as most of us here are, I am a tad one eyed, but I would be interested to see the stat on which team got pinged for short kicks the most this season.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 am

What's a little ironic is the "running into space"
Requires more fitness.

Maybe that Bucks understands that we do need the run.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Won't happen. Buckley is handball happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: