Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Exile

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:10 am
Post subject: ExileReply with quote

You have been condemned by the Abbotstazi to exile for thought crimes.

In a few minutes, you will be flown to a deserted island from which there is no escape. There you will remain until further notice. If you are lucky, your appeal for clemency and rehabilitation will be considered in perhaps five or ten years time. Meanwhile, you will stay on the island. You will have no contact with civilisation of any kind. No radio, no TV, no Internet, no newspapers, no phone calls, no letters, no visitors.

You will be abandoned there with nothing but the clothes you stand in and a few survival aids, such as fishing line and hooks, a primitive first aid kit, some knives, plates and spoons, a cooking pot, and a plentiful supply of matches.

The island itself is perfectly safe and comfortable. The climate is benign enough for you to sleep naked on the soft sand under a tree, or in one of the several small caves if it is raining. There is a fresh water spring which never runs dry, and any amount of food to be found, ranging from fruits and wild vegetables through to plump, tender wild turkeys and a huge variety of seafood. Barring accident, you should survive in comfort for however many years it will be before your appeal is finally heard. You will, of course, be searched carefully to make sure that you take nothing whatsoever from the world of civilisation barring the standard survival kit that is provided to you.

Just as you are about to be frog-marched onto the small float-plane, and you are taking what will be your last look at buildings and street lamps and other works of civilisation for a very long time, your Corrections Officer says that there has been a last minute change of policy. In the interests of humanity, you will be given a small, solar-powered CD player, apparently of quite good quality, and as a sign of the government's great generosity, even a CD-ROM to go with it.

One.

Any album you like. You have 10 seconds to choose it. This will be the only music you hear for the next 10 years. Choose it well. Eight seconds left. If you can't make your mind up in time, the offer is off. Seven seconds left. You can have any album you like; you might get away with asking for a double album, or you might not. If you ask for a triple album or a boxed set, that will just demonstrate your greed and probably lead to you being shot. Four seconds left. You might regret your choice later and wish you'd thought to ask for something different, but you have no time to ponder, only to blurt the first one you think of. Two seconds left.

Make your choice.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatloaf bat out of hell and a gallon jar of insect repellent please.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:36 am

Triple J Hottest 100 of all Time.

Hopefully asking for an ABC album doesn't count against my appeal Laughing

https://shop.abc.net.au/products/triple-j-hottest-100-of-all-time
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:06 am

"Build a raft" cd and a basketball
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:42 am

Why bring a basketball when you've got coconuts?

I'd bring The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion by The Incredible String Band. And learn how to cultivate a hemp plantation. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_5000_Spirits_or_the_Layers_of_the_Onion

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 am

You are teaching me just my conversing with me.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 am

Icehouse - Flowers, love it!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:07 am

The Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed.

On the plane, I realise my mistake. I should, of course, have asked for the one absolutely irreplacable recording, the one work that never, ever fails to lift my spirits, Mozart's immortal Marriage of Figaro. There are lots of good versions, but I'd go for my much loved original, Kiri Te Kanawa under Solti with the London Philharmonic. I am heartbroken. I love Let it Bleed but how could I have been so stupid?

Nearing the island, I suddenly start shaking with fright. I just remembered that it is a triple album. Close escape!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:32 am

Don't worry, Tannin, Let It Bleed is the correct call, provided you have a remote control that lets you skip "Monkey Man" and, as necessary, repeat the rest.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:41 am

Alternatively, you could take anything by Nick Cave - I can hardly think of a better incentive to redouble efforts to get off that island - and fast.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:49 am

Monkey Man is the odd one out, isn't it. I used to dislike it considerably and press "skip" as often as not. But I've mellowed towards it in recent years, once I learned to stop thinking of it as one of the worst Stones songs snuck somehow onto what is otherwise the best Stones album and start thinking of it as simply a great Richards guitar line rather spoiled by Jagger's nevertheless heroic effort to make something like a song out of nothing more than a great guitar line. It works better really loud. Or, or course, not at all. Never in between.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 am

David wrote:
Why bring a basketball when you've got coconuts?

WILSOOOOOOOOOOON

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am

Haha, well played. Mr. Green
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:54 am

Tannin wrote:
Monkey Man is the odd one out, isn't it. I used to dislike it considerably and press "skip" as often as not. But I've mellowed towards it in recent years, once I learned to stop thinking of it as one of the worst Stones songs snuck somehow onto what is otherwise the best Stones album and start thinking of it as simply a great Richards guitar line rather spoiled by Jagger's nevertheless heroic effort to make something like a song out of nothing more than a great guitar line. It works better really loud. Or, or course, not at all. Never in between.

I think it's inclusion was accidental - to this day, I believe that the Stones intended to put "Midnight Rambler" on the record twice and a mistake was made in the final edit. Wink
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:06 am

I'd take disc two of "The Willie Dixon Story". Or "Little Walter - His Best". No, make that disc one of "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol 2" (well, really, just the first track). Well, actually, make that "There Goes Rhymin' Simon". No, what I really meant was "The Modern Lovers" or "Wheels of Fire - Live at the Fillmore" or "New Boots and Panties" or ....

No, it just has to be "Leon Live" (sounds of gunfire follow).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: