Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Monuments to the waste of the Green religion

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You are citing waste by anti-greens as evidence of greens causing waste. That is beyond stupid and right out into unhinged.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:15 pm

TBF, can you name some of these prominent adherents of the "Green religion" who are not affiliated with the Greens or any likeminded environmentalist groups, yet wield enough power to get questionable projects like the desalination plant approved? Thanks in advance.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:18 pm

David wrote:
TBF, you can put your fingers in your ears and sing every time someone points out that you're making a fundamental logical error, but what purpose does it serve? Anyone who reads this thread can see that you've got this one badly wrong. Why keep repeating the same old incorrect assertion and ignoring the responses? I just don't see what you're achieving here other than wasting your own time.

Your fundamental error is your failure to read what is being said. This is about the Green religion and it's wasteful consequences. Whilst the moronic Greens might have opposed the desal plant, that in no way changes that adherence to the green religion has contributed to this monumental waste.

This nonsense about dams never being filled again and refusal to build new dams and other scaremongering based on the Green religion results in such waste.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:46 pm

So, as I posted on page one, your point is this: had the Greens and likeminded environmentalist groups not caused the desalination plant to be built by opposing both desalination plants and dams, we would have had more white elephant dams instead of a white elephant desalination plant.

And this is a tribute to the waste of environmentalism as opposed to, say, poor public policy planning from a non-environmentalist state government.

"This logic amazes me. Tell me again how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped."

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ The most moronic post I have seen here. `The right wing of the ALP, noted opponents of the Greens, commission a project over the strenuous objections of the Greens and all known environmental groups, and you call this the Greens' fault?

Who, exactly, do think think this naked stupidity will fool? Are you even managing to fool yourself with it?

No Tannin, that's quite unfair on the hairless one. He's posted much more moronic stuff than this. Mind you it's up there Wink

The Libs had the chance to redo the contracts but chose not to.

Mind you: Libs f*ckin g up, his good mate the Mad Monk is F*cking up badly then cue the hairless opinion: As sure as night follows day. All a distraction.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:56 am

It works pretty well over here....

The Perth Seawater Desalination Plant, located in Kwinana, was completed in late 2006. It produces 45 billion litres of fresh drinking water a year around 17% of Perths water supply.

AND it's powered by a wind farm!

There's also the Southern Seawater desal plant at Binningup. This can produce 100 billion litres/year and....

The plants energy requirements are offset by the entire output from two renewable energy farms near Geraldton.
The 10 megawatt Greenough River Solar Farm Australias first utility-scale solar farm
The 55 megawatt Mumbida Wind Farm

These 2 plants produce 50% of Perths water demand.

http://www.watercorporation.com.au/water-supply-and-services/solutions-to-perths-water-supply/desalination

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:12 am

I haven't read through this thread for a while, but not sure what The Greens the political party have to do with 'green religion' the environmentalist feel good movement, beyond being adherents to it. The point I believe is being made is that trying to pander to inner city environmentalists has lead in this case to enormous waste and some mothballed, useless infrastructure. Whether those people wanted it or not doesn't change the motivation pushing the agenda, Labor wanted to appear to be doing something about the drought AND be all environmental and shit at the same time. In trying to please everyone, they pleased no-one (how unlike Labor Laughing).

Of course, if we cop another drought with our bloated population in the state capital this plant will be very useful. The same argument used with dams counts the same here, they need to be ready when the conditions for their use are optimal. Sometimes they need to be built when they're not needed.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:24 am

Funny, I would have thought God was the ultimate recycler,

Same for the devil, he just burns it all

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:49 pm

Wokko wrote:
The point I believe is being made is that trying to pander to inner city environmentalists has lead in this case to enormous waste and some mothballed, useless infrastructure.

I expect blind, counter-factual stupidity from the nutty bald critter, but you are smarter than that. The dumb desalination plant was opposed strongly by all people of sense as the economics of it were horrendous, and opposed most strongly of all by environmentally aware people, who were appalled by its wasteful impact on our carbon footprint, by its destruction of a perfectly good part of our lovely coastline, worried about its waste products, and just as aghast at the dreadful economics as everyone else.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Who told you that?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Tannin wrote:

I expect blind, counter-factual stupidity from the nutty bald critter, but you are smarter than that. The dumb desalination plant was opposed strongly by all people of sense as the economics of it were horrendous, and opposed most strongly of all by environmentally aware people, who were appalled by its wasteful impact on our carbon footprint, by its destruction of a perfectly good part of our lovely coastline, worried about its waste products, and just as aghast at the dreadful economics as everyone else.

I was just paraphrasing what I believe the point of the thread was, not stating my opinion. From what I remember the Libs where against it because it was a wasteful, not needed, union slush fund project from Labor and the Greens were against it because it was an unnecessary, dirty, polluting project with little gain and large environmental impact. I think Labor wanted to help out their mates and appear to be doing something about the water issue while trying to play the Green card of 'at least its not a dam'.

I agree the Desal plant isn't a great example of environmentalism screwing things up and the author of that hypothesis certainly hasn't proven their point as far as I'm concerned.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Who or what is what he or she remember the Libs where against it because it was a wasteful not needed union slush fund project from Labor and the Greens were against it because it was an unnecessary dirty polluting project with gain and large environmental impact?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Cheers Wokko. You can't bring yourself to go a bit further than "hasn't proven his point" then? Can't manage to just state the fact here, i.e., that the proposition is so nonsensical as to be ridiculous? That is remarkably timid of you.

As for dams, they were out of the question. Never mind that dams are useless without streamflow to fill them and every single useful stream west of Gippsland already had one or more big dams standing empty; never mind that dams take many years to construct, and many more years to fill; never mind that there hadn't been any decent rain for a decade and it was entirely possible that there wouldn't be any more for years to come; the then-government acted in panic to get something - anything! - that would provide certainty of water supply. That was their main motivation: fear.

For less than half the cost of the desal plant we could have had much more cost-effective, reliable and sustainable new water supply for Melbourne through a mix of simple, well-understood recycling and storm water harvesting technologies - technologies which are in daily use and working well all over the world.

And of course, the root cause of the problem, the reason we needed more water in the first place, is that our governing parties have consistently and willfully ignored the advice and pleas of the green movement (and of many others - more than 60% of Australia's population if the polls are anything to go by) over many, many years to restrain our uncontrolled population growth. The ability of the bald redneck to ignore good advice, get into trouble because of that bad decision, and then blame the very people who gave him the good advice he ignored so willfully for the consequences of his own actions is mind-boggling.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:49 pm

"We will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come"

Except "We" wont decide that at all, beyond stopping boat people. I hate that the whole immigration issue was so successfully obfuscated when the two issues should be totally separate.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:12 pm

er... wrong thread? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: