Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What 2014 Trade Recurit Excites you the Most?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What 2014 Trade Recurit Excites you the Most?
Crisp
29%
 29%  [ 15 ]
Greenwood
60%
 60%  [ 31 ]
Varcoe
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 51

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
^^I don't understand this seemingly pervasive view. Varcoe is the only one of the three who has been a consistent part of his team over the last 5 years. And he played for Geelong, not a bottom 4 team like Brisbane or a middle of the table team like North. He's clearly had a better career than the other two players we've brought in, though Greenwood did have the superior 2014. There's every reason to expect that he'll be a fixture in our starting 22 next season.

So I should rate Varcoe on what he did 2 years ago? For what ever reason he's been average at best since then, to me he looks to be on a downward spiral, hoping I'm wrong though, he certainly has the talent, but does he have the heart?

And remember mate, crisp was steak knives, Varcoe cost us a decent pick.

He didn't really cost us a pick, but Greenwood did.

I don't think there's any real reason to think Varcoe's in a career-ending spiral. He's only 26. He had injuries in 2013 and an ordinary 2014. A year where he still played 23 games for a top 4 team. Greenwood has had one year where he was a consistent first-teamer for the Roos. Crisp has played 18 games in three years. Varcoe has comfortably had the better career of the three so far. It's debatable who's in better shape going into 2014 between Varcoe and Greenwood but there's nothing like the gulf between them to justify the level of negativity around Trav.

And we don't know what pick Varcoe cost us. There may not have been any on offer. What he did cost was Lumumba and that's not small in itself. Similarly with Crisp. We should have been getting a pick in the 20s instead but the Lions wouldn't give it.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
^^I don't understand this seemingly pervasive view. Varcoe is the only one of the three who has been a consistent part of his team over the last 5 years. And he played for Geelong, not a bottom 4 team like Brisbane or a middle of the table team like North. He's clearly had a better career than the other two players we've brought in, though Greenwood did have the superior 2014. There's every reason to expect that he'll be a fixture in our starting 22 next season.

So I should rate Varcoe on what he did 2 years ago? For what ever reason he's been average at best since then, to me he looks to be on a downward spiral, hoping I'm wrong though, he certainly has the talent, but does he have the heart?

I don't think there's any real reason to think Varcoe's in a career-ending spiral. He's only 26. He had injuries in 2013 and an ordinary 2014. A year where he still played 23 games for a top 4 team. Greenwood has had one year where he was a consistent first-teamer for the Roos. Crisp has played 18 games in three years. Varcoe has comfortably had the better career of the three so far. It's debatable who's in better shape going into 2014 between Varcoe and Greenwood but there's nothing like the gulf between them to justify the level of negativity around Trav.

And we don't know what pick Varcoe cost us. There may not have been any on offer. What he did cost was Lumumba and that's not small in itself. Similarly with Crisp. We should have been getting a pick in the 20s instead but the Lions wouldn't give it.

Varcoes been to the summit and his form hasn't been great since, IMO recruiting mature talent makes more sense when the player hasn't reached the summit, superstars aside not many B grade premiership players improve with a new club.

Seriously if the Cats couldn't get the best out of him how do you expect us to? Sorry but I would've much preferred a second round DP over him.

Happy to be corrected though.

And BTW mate, Varcoe cost us Harry, I think H was worth amid second rounder at least.

I know everyone knows I'm not happy with our strategy ATM, but I'm willing to spend a few years in the wilderness to build a team worthy of us, I don't like we're heading there ATM, I think we're taking short cuts to remain competitive.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:05 am

Defender wrote:
superstars aside not many B grade premiership players improve with a new club

Nonsense. What about Young? Or White?

Err ... sorry. As you were.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:13 am

1. Moore
2. Pick 5
3. Greenwood
4. Crisp
5. Pick 30
6. Varcoe

It's not that I don't rate Varcoe, I just don't rate Varcoe.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:16 am

Tannin wrote:
Defender wrote:

Cam Mooney. Laughing
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Wokko wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Defender wrote:

Cam Mooney. Laughing

G. Ablett?

B. Franklin?

D. Cloke?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:00 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Varcoe's probably the best player of the three and has the most exciting playstyle, so I'll go for him.

Yep, has never played a bad game against the Pies, tore us apart in the 2011 GF I recall. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:09 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Defender wrote:

Cam Mooney. Laughing

G. Ablett?

B. Franklin?

D. Cloke?

Misread your post excluding superstars. Embarassed
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Varcoes been to the summit and his form hasn't been great since, IMO recruiting mature talent makes more sense when the player hasn't reached the summit, superstars aside not many B grade premiership players improve with a new club.

Seriously if the Cats couldn't get the best out of him how do you expect us to? Sorry but I would've much preferred a second round DP over him.

And BTW mate, Varcoe cost us Harry, I think H was worth amid second rounder at least.

I know everyone knows I'm not happy with our strategy ATM, but I'm willing to spend a few years in the wilderness to build a team worthy of us, I don't like we're heading there ATM, I think we're taking short cuts to remain competitive.

I really don't see any logic to your assertion that B-grade premiership players don't improve or at least continue to play to a B-grade level at another club. I can think of two anyway: Leigh Brown, Heath Shaw Wink.

And your "short cuts" accusation is unfair. We haven't taken a short cut this trade period. We have moved to ensure that the plan we had before Lumumba and Beams wanted out remains largely intact. Staying the planned course, not shortcutting. It's unfarir to rubbish moves we made to get younger (Thomas, Wellingham, Dawes for picks and Shaw for Adams), only to claim we should be younger still when we're already one of the youngest teams in the comp.

I think you've misjudged where we are at. We mostly have our bigs in place and mids can come on quickly. It is very much possible that we could be back for the top 4 in 2016.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:17 pm

cityslick1 wrote:
wow... Crisp rated higher than a player who finished in the top 3 of the B&F for a team that finished top 4. interesting.

Pick 5 is the most exciting for mine, but I'm hoping that we found a genuine gun inside mid in greenwood to help fill the hole left by Beams and Ball. I'm actually more excited by what Thomas, Adams, Broomhead and Freeman can bring to the table in '15 than Crisp.

I am not Rating Crisp ahead of Greenwood at the Moment. Next Season Greenwood is the Best player but I think by end of the Career Crisp has the Potential of being the Best out of the 3

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Would you like to know more?
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:54 am
Post subject: Re: What 2014 Trade Recurit Excites you the Most?Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Well Varcoe and Greenwood are good ins. Varcoe give us some more speed and can use the ball well. Greenwood is a HardNut who does the Gruntwork.

Crisp is the one that Excites me the most. He is a Tall Utiity that we most likely play thru the Midfield. He has great speed, Great Jump and has good hands in Close. Just needs more work on his kicking. Which is just keep getting better at. Just so much upside to him. He might not come an Elite Player like Pendles but he can become a Very Good Player?

You Agree? Who are you most excited about?

I agree with this assessment Dave.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:57 am

Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Imagine having to play next to that giant wanker Hawkins every week. There be your answer, me matey.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:54 am

The new fitness guy!
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 pm

1 - Pick 9 F/S
2 - Greenwood
3 - Pick 5
4 - Crisp
5 - Pick 30
6 - Varcoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: