Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pro and Con's of 2014 Trade Week

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 pm
Post subject: Pro and Con's of 2014 Trade WeekReply with quote

Pro:

Getting Crisp Feels a Need we have Lacked and that is a Tall Midfielder as we have to many of those 180cm guys and Crisp is 190cm so that helps us. Also has good Speed as well
Getting Greenwood help us with the loss of Beams. Gives us a Real Hard Body in the Midfield and is a Real Hard Nut
Varcoe pretty much replaces Lumumba and Not have the Off-Field Problems. Has speed and kicking skills we need
Getting Pick 5 which Means that Hine has a go at the top of the Draft with us also getting Moore

Cons:

Crisp and Greenwood are not very good Kicks and that is something we need improving. Though Crisp is improving his Kicking
Losing Beams realy sucks as is impossible in a Trade. Tried hard but just can't
Would of Liked to Improve Pick 30 but did not

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that covers it quite succinctly without we shoulda, coulda...

Sums it up well DTM.

Imagine if Crisp fills out & kicks better & throw in Marsh - looking forward that makes us very fast & strong in terms of leg speed.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Not a bad summation Dave.

I'm less convinced of the merits of Varcoe as a replacement for Lumumba though. Think we got stitched up in that trade, but hope I am wrong.

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:11 pm

COLLINGWOOD PASS
IN: Levi Greenwood, Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp
OUT: Dayne Beams, Heritier Lumumba
DRAFT PICKS: 5, 9 (Darcy Moore), 30, 48, 85, 103, 121
VERDICT: Far from ideal. Any trade period where you lose your second-best player and dont get a like-for-like sets the Pies back. But they made the best of a bad situation, playing hard ball to effectively get pick 5, Levi Greenwood and Jack Crisp. Travis Varcoe addresses the pace concerns, and while Heritier Lumumba was done, he did finish fourth in the B&F, with departing Dayne Beams third. Now need the kids Ben Kennedy, Tim Broomhead, Brodie Grundy to come through if they are to play finals next year.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl-trade-2014-report-card-who-were-the-winners-and-losers-in-the-trade-and-free-agency-period/story-fnaqgujp-1227092874309

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:13 pm

the kpi will be the number of heart in mouth moments we experience with varcoe.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 pm

stoliboy wrote:
COLLINGWOOD PASS
IN: Levi Greenwood, Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp
OUT: Dayne Beams, Heritier Lumumba
DRAFT PICKS: 5, 9 (Darcy Moore), 30, 48, 85, 103, 121
VERDICT: Far from ideal. Any trade period where you lose your second-best player and dont get a like-for-like sets the Pies back. But they made the best of a bad situation, playing hard ball to effectively get pick 5, Levi Greenwood and Jack Crisp. Travis Varcoe addresses the pace concerns, and while Heritier Lumumba was done, he did finish fourth in the B&F, with departing Dayne Beams third. Now need the kids Ben Kennedy, Tim Broomhead, Brodie Grundy to come through if they are to play finals next year.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl-trade-2014-report-card-who-were-the-winners-and-losers-in-the-trade-and-free-agency-period/story-fnaqgujp-1227092874309

i have read two other reports where one said we were clear winners whilst the other gave us a d minus. i thought we were closer to c+ given beams tied both wrists to one of our ankles. we didn't have pick 5 at the start of the trade period. beams is replaceable.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:38 pm

The guys on AFL.com gave us a B- which is a pretty solid score in anyone's language.

Terry Wallace has been shit canning us on trade radio and SEN. Saying it was some sort of disaster for us. His voice fair dinkum makes my ears bleed. Imagine listening to that all day. Really knows Jack shit about it as far as I'm concerned. Needs another Rod Grinter coat hanger!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:45 pm

John Wren wrote:

Could say the samething about Lumumba

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Damien wrote:
The guys on AFL.com gave us a B- which is a pretty solid score in anyone's language.

Terry Wallace has been shit canning us on trade radio and SEN. Saying it was some sort of disaster for us. His voice fair dinkum makes my ears bleed. Imagine listening to that all day. Really knows Jack shit about it as far as I'm concerned. Needs another Rod Grinter coat hanger!

i disagree with your assertion about wallace. i'd take on board his views a lot faster than the vast majority on here. ultimately, it is just one opinion in a sea of opinions. he gave us a d minus which i thought was a touch harsh but i don't think we were a b minus. dwayne russell said we had a stellar trade period. what you think of wallace is how i think of russell.

we were very much hamstrung with what we could get for beams given we only really had one team we could deal with. the giants made a mockery of stating that x player was not for trade. this showed up brisbane but they held their ground. to have considered to have done really well we needed to have secured an aish type.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Could say the samething about Lumumba

that's my point dave. if we don't have so many of those moments i will consider it a win.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:53 pm
Post subject: Re: Pro and Con's of 2014 Trade WeekReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Crisp Feels a Need

As do we all, from time to time. Wink

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:55 pm

John Wren wrote:

we were very much hamstrung with what we could get for beams given we only really had one team we could deal with. the giants made a mockery of stating that x player was not for trade. this showed up brisbane but they held their ground. to have considered to have done really well we needed to have secured an aish type.

Agree with Beams only wanting to go to Lions and not even let us talk to the Suns made the Job even harder

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Our immediate list holes in my mind are:

1. 2nd key forward. Didn't get one. Looks like we're going back to see if Reid and White can do it. Or play two rucks.

2. Small forward. Varcoe may fill this need a little but my understanding is he is recruited to play wing. So we didn't get one. Not that there was much about.

3. Additional depth in the midfield. We got Greenwood. Reported he can't hit a barn with his kicking. So that's a concern. But he and Crisp do add depth. So a tick. But I'm not excited nor disappointed. Underwhelming I guess.

4.Lock down and Running small defenders. Not sure it's a huge need as we have plenty of young guys coming through. But an experienced player in our back 6 is really needed. And we didn't get one.

Personally i would have rathered we kept at least one of our mid 20 picks for the Draft.

But overall I feel we fell further back in the pack for next year. Didn't get a star, just some good-ordinary players. We are really hanging hopes on our existing youth to come through.

And of course pick 5, with Moore, really will be the measure of our success this trade period. You would hope we gain two A graders there which formulate key players for a premiership. In 3-6 years.
DT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:01 pm

John Wren wrote:
Damien wrote:

i disagree with your assertion about wallace. i'd take on board his views a lot faster than the vast majority on here. ultimately, it is just one opinion in a sea of opinions. he gave us a d minus which i thought was a touch harsh but i don't think we were a b minus. dwayne russell said we had a stellar trade period. what you think of wallace is how i think of russell.

Agree. Wallace is not bad a judge but Dwayne Russell is unlistenable

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:26 pm

melliot wrote:
an experienced player in our back 6 is really needed

Would you feel better if I promised you, hand on heart, that the total experience in our back half would improve rapidly in 2015? Trust me on this: every single week, even if we go in with youngsters like Frost, Keefe, Williams, Langdon, Seedsman and Sinclair, our total back half experience will increase by an amazing six games in every single round of 2015.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: