Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MODERN 2015 FOOTBALLERS NEEDED : Jayden Laverde type

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 pm
Post subject: MODERN 2015 FOOTBALLERS NEEDED : Jayden Laverde typeReply with quote

The pies have an important decision to make regarding the accurate usage of pick 5 in the upcoming draft. What we don't need to see is Hine pick a player that is described in the herald Sun the day after as an:

"in and under, hard working, elite endurance mid fielder whose hard at it" which is really a euphemism for a 181cm, slow, basic skilled tough nut whom can't hit a target.

It's unlikely that messrs: Pretracca, McCartin, Brayshaw and White shall fall to pick 5 given the recruiters phantom draft opinions, I would suggest we take a MODERN FOOTBALL TYPE.

So a Jay Laverde type whose 189cm, can run, kick and adapt between midfield and the forward line is the way we should go. With a midfield of Pendlebury 190cm, Crisp 190cm and Laverde at 189cm it would help complement our current "short man syndrome" brigade that has:

* J Blair 172cm
* Kennedy 175cm
* J Thomas 176 cm
* J Elliot 178cm
* Adams 180cm
* S Sidebottom 180cm
* Greenwood 181cm
* T Varcoe 181cm
* B Sinclair 181cm
* Broomhead 183cm (but slight in build)

188cm plus players whom can kick is the priority as a lot of the above struggle to hit targets and can be prone to the Stephen Kernahan floater!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this obsession with height is overstated.

Yes we've got a few <180ish types but no more than other teams.

Factor in Seedsman (190), Scharenberg (191), Karnezis (191), Langdon (189), Oxley (192), Marsh (193), Young (189) and even White (196) on top of Pendles and Crisp and we've got more than enough talls to run through the midfield or develop into that role.

Actually getting the pill and using it well a higher priority.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:38 pm

If they played this or play next year!!!

*Scharenberg none this year or next
* Karnezis none and maybe 2015
* Oxley none in 2014
* Marsh none this year
* Seedsman 8 matches this year

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Doesn't exclude them from the discussion and same can be said for some of the shorter blokes you've listed, Blairs the only 1 (on our list) who didn't have injury issues in 2014.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:54 pm

jackcass wrote:
I think this obsession with height is overstated.

Yes we've got a few <180ish types but no more than other teams.

We played the equal most in the league by number in 2014, and the second most by total games:

Games played by players under 180cm in 2014.

Certainly not a major problem when your matching up almost exactly with the Hawks though.

If we're picking based on height then we are potentially missing out on a Pickett (181) who has excellent pace and skill and could complement a few of our more dour types (Adams, Greenwood, Thomas). So no, height should not be the overriding factor here, we need to look at the full range of a player's attributes.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm

^Yeah but averages can lie.

To me we don't have enough players in that mid range of 183 to 190cm.

If we aren't going for a genuine mid like Ahern or Weller then I prefer the taller Laverde to Pickett.

If Langdon, McLean or Lonie are still there at pick 48 we can grab ourselves a quick small forward.

Langdon in particular seems to be a bit of a Pickett type.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:31 pm

There are no averages in that table. You are right though, we did lack players in the middle height range during 2014 (being players between 180 and 189). We did have quite a few who would have played more though, so I'm not sure it's a big problem.

If we're picking based on height, especially if it's 181cm vs 187cm then we're making a mistake. Limiting yourself unnecessarily is the worst thing you can do and such a fine-grained limit really serves no purpose.

I'm not saying I prefer Pickett, just that my preference is more around an attacking, skillful type than a particular height. If Hine decided Pickett was the best option, then he'd fit in very well.

Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Was impressed with laverde during the u-18 champs, nice high half forward, reads the play well good skills, knows where the goals are. Would be happy if we went with him
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Laverde is exactly what we need. Reminds me of Bottempelli. Smile
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:31 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
There are no averages in that table. You are right though, we did lack players in the middle height range during 2014 (being players between 180 and 189). We did have quite a few who would have played more though, so I'm not sure it's a big problem.

If we're picking based on height, especially if it's 181cm vs 187cm then we're making a mistake. Limiting yourself unnecessarily is the worst thing you can do and such a fine-grained limit really serves no purpose.

I'm not saying I prefer Pickett, just that my preference is more around an attacking, skillful type than a particular height. If Hine decided Pickett was the best option, then he'd fit in very well.

I'm prepared to concede that Pickett at least belongs in the company of Ahern and Weller Wink as serious considerations at 5 but my preference is still for the tall, skilled and quick Laverde.

You don't take Laverde just because he's taller it's merely a point of difference to the other 3 that might set him apart in some peoples minds.

Neither Pickett or Laverde are your classical high possession midfielder at present so Hine will just have to way up there other abilities against that of more genuine midfield types like Weller and Ahern.

Anyway he's knows far more than us.

Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Pace, skill and class wins out every time. The Hawks took a chance on Rioli in the GF. Why? Pace, skill and class. Height had nothing to do with it.
In the end they didn't need him anyway.

All the same, we lack 'height' if that makes sense, so given his wraps Laverde looks the goods.

Cheers.

Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:26 pm

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I'm prepared to concede that Pickett at least belongs in the company of Ahern and Weller Wink as serious considerations at 5 but my preference is still for the tall, skilled and quick Laverde.

You don't take Laverde just because he's taller it's merely a point of difference to the other 3 that might set him apart in some peoples minds.

Neither Pickett or Laverde are your classical high possession midfielder at present so Hine will just have to way up there other abilities against that of more genuine midfield types like Weller and Ahern.

Anyway he's knows far more than us.

Do we think guys like Liam Duggan and Jordan De Goey are in this group too? I'm pretty impressed by the foot skills of both and think they could also end up being elite.

Particularly surprised De Goey isn't rated more highly. Seems a little bit fumbley in close, but I think that can be improved with more strength in his hands because he certainly throws himself in without any fear. Not sure on his tank, but he seems quick enough and has got a great build for AFL.

Not too worried about height. Ahern and Weller aren't that small and Pickett is pretty good overhead for his size. With Crisp and Greenwood coming in to help Adams, we don't have to go for another contested ball winner at 5.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Hine & Rendell have far more information than us. Trust them. They will get it right.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 pm

woftam wrote:
Hine & Rendell have far more information than us. Trust them. They will get it right.

That is funny!
You should be in comedy!
Trust Tony Abbot - he has more information than the
average pleb like us.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:05 pm

thompsoc wrote:
woftam wrote:

That is funny!
You should be in comedy!
Trust Tony Abbot - he has more information than the
average pleb like us.

The blind faith on this list is simply astounding at times, wish I was a door to door salesman at times like this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: