Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A long way from the AFL and the CFC

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:50 pm
Post subject: A long way from the AFL and the CFCReply with quote

An interesting read:
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29624410

blakis 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Top read
It's a cakewalk 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Good read. However unfortunately given we don't play out of Vic Park anymore we have little influence in ticket costs or for food and beverage. It does outline how CFC could include all of the supporter base without losing in essence of this mighty club.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:35 pm

thanks. we play at a stadium that holds 100k, approx. 75% available to the general public yet we're struggling to fill it.

i don't follow european football but you sense bd play an attractive style of football. port adelaide do likewise. that gets bums on seats as much as lowering the barriers for people to attend.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:14 pm
Post subject: Re: A long way from the AFL and the CFCReply with quote

didick wrote:
An interesting read:
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29624410

Great stuff. And to think some people call us the Manchester United of AFL. We are not even worthy of being spoken of in the Borussia Dortmund category.

Sadly, I doubt we'll have too many games drawing 80,000 over the next few years.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14 am

John Wren wrote:
thanks. we play at a stadium that holds 100k, approx. 75% available to the general public yet we're struggling to fill it.

i don't follow european football but you sense bd play an attractive style of football. port adelaide do likewise. that gets bums on seats as much as lowering the barriers for people to attend.

Any idea on how much it would cost to upgrade Vic Park to AFL standard with increased seating (yes I know it's heritage listed)?

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:25 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Any idea on how much it would cost to upgrade Vic Park to AFL standard with increased seating (yes I know it's heritage listed)?

let me get back to you on that. what facilities would you like?

there'd be a truckload to fix up or replace.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

The dream is an official CFC 50K-60K boutique stadium for that REAL home ground feel / advantage. But ho-hum, we're stuck with a stale, bi-partisan arena that offers nothing but a welcome mat to opposition supporters and an anti-social hotline for passionate others.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

John Wren wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Yeah I know that (love the sarcasm btw Laughing ). No seriously, just looking for a ball park figure... 20 mil, 50 mil?

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:22 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
The dream is an official CFC 50K-60K boutique stadium for that REAL home ground feel / advantage. But ho-hum, we're stuck with a stale, bi-partisan arena that offers nothing but a welcome mat to opposition supporters and an anti-social hotline for passionate others.

do you remember the 80s proposal for magpieland and to extend vic park? iirc, mcallister wanted the precinct to be all about collingwood.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:26 am

John Wren wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Yeah I know that (love the sarcasm btw Laughing ). No seriously, just looking for a ball park figure... 20 mil, 50 mil?

hard to say. weaved into the sarcasm is the need to appreciate what the old girl looks like now, what the minimum standards are required by the afl and also what you'd want.

the underbelly, whilst it is functional, would need a significant upgrade. not too mention the seating, it infrastructure and doing something with the embankment that once was the rush stand. shane would have a better feel for this.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

John Wren wrote:

I know the Feds have committed $20M to the catterery upgrade, and that doesn't include State, councli, or GFC funds.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:03 am

I think we need to move on from Vic Park. Love the romance of the VFL using it but the reality is you aren't going to find the sort of funding needed to get it up to AFL standard.

Personally, I'm happy to go to the G, a little less so Etihad even though it is more convenient to those of us from the north and west. The fact we play at those venues isn't even a factor in whether or not I attend games. Scheduling is my biggest bug-bear. Not a fan of Sunday games although a 2:10 start isn't quite as bad.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:39 pm

The past is another country...

Remember parking at the brewery because all the car parks were off limits?

Remember parking at Rushall station, the only one with parking, and the train arriving at 2.20pm, just in time to miss the first quarter?

Remember the squashed like sardine feel, and the need to pay double for an elusive seat?

Remember seatlotto on that train back to Princes Bridge then the long walk back to the other train...to anywhere

Remember the trendy council that hated us, and deep down still does.

Merritt and Richardson did some silly things in administration, but getting us as the major tenant at the MCG instead of Waverley was that magic moment. It means that we will never rattle a tin again, attract the corporate loot that Dortmund does and one day soon will rejoin the Hawks and the Moggies as big players on the field.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:12 pm

This article should be forwarded to Pert and Eddie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: