Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood's correct weight division

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:27 am
Post subject: Collingwood's correct weight divisionReply with quote

Collingwood has some really good footballers:
Elite - Pendlebury, Swan, Sidebottom, Cloke.
Exciting young players - Elliott, Williams, Adams, Crisp, Broomhead
Future stars - Moore, De Goey, Grundy
Solid Soldiers - Brown, Frost, Toovey, Blair, Greenwood.
Possible future stars - Maynard, Oxley, Marsh.
I haven't mentioned Reid, Scharenberg, or Freeman because their future is uncertain.
So, with a core like this, where should this team be positioned on the ladder bearing in mind that compared to other years, there've been few injuries?
As a humble supporter who doesn't really understand the technical structures of how the game should be played today, I think that Collingwood should be somewhere between 5th and 8th.
Collingwood has won one of its past nine games, and that was against Carlton, who are on the bottom.
Collingwood is not a premiership team or anywhere near it, but even 12th on the ladder looks flattering at present. Whatever is holding us back, should be fixed. Otherwise bringing in Treloar, or Aish or anyone else will make little difference.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point you are making. The only reward in AFL footy is a premiership. You don't even win that by finishing first at the end of the season. The only other reward is finishing last because you get first first pick in the national draft. If the AFL was serious about the competition there would a relegation system, prize for finishing first at the end of the home and away and a knockout competition for all the competing clubs and an equivalent prize to the side finishing first. Till that happens ladder position is meaningless. The mindset of each AFL club is just win every game you can and enjoy each victory.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:03 am

There's more than one thing holding us back. But one of the main things, as any Collingwood supporter will tell ya, is our poor kicking. So the question is: In terms of kicking efficiency who are our five worst players? In regards to players who are looking to leave their clubs: Which ones have the best kicking efficiency?
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:06 am
Post subject: Re: Collingwood's correct weight divisionReply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
Collingwood has some really good footballers:
Elite - Pendlebury, Swan, Sidebottom, Cloke.
Exciting young players - Elliott, Williams, Adams, Crisp, Broomhead
Future stars - Moore, De Goey, Grundy
Solid Soldiers - Brown, Frost, Toovey, Blair, Greenwood.
Possible future stars - Maynard, Oxley, Marsh.
I haven't mentioned Reid, Scharenberg, or Freeman because their future is uncertain.
So, with a core like this, where should this team be positioned on the ladder bearing in mind that compared to other years, there've been few injuries?
As a humble supporter who doesn't really understand the technical structures of how the game should be played today, I think that Collingwood should be somewhere between 5th and 8th.
Collingwood has won one of its past nice games, and that was against Carlton, who are on the bottom.
Collingwood is not a premiership team or anywhere near it, but even 12th on the ladder looks flattering at present. Whatever is holding us back, should be fixed. Otherwise bringing in Treloar, or Aish or anyone else will make little difference.

I think you have answered your own question.
Only four elite players cobbled together with youth padded and out with 'solid soldiers' does not cut it as a top 8 side.
Who did we just play ? - elite Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Rance. Supported by their soldiers in Reiwoldt, Maric, Chaplin, Newman, Batchelor, Morris, Houli, Lloyd, Vickery. Handy youth in Ellis, Vlaustin, Lennon, McIntosh..
Now I'm no lover of Richmond, but I can see the difference between sides (& between us and other sides as well).
We are not geared & thus not ready to be a top 8 side in 2015. Some stars and the promise of youth won't compete over 22 games for a top 8 position. I'm hopeful for the future, but as of now - I think realistically 10-12th will be it.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:39 am

We have a few problems, Cloke's form is killing us, if it's ok to drop Jesse then it should be ok to drop Cloke.

Our rucks are hurting us, neither of them provide a viable marking option, both will become good players but they're a couple of years off IMO.

Our backline lacks skills, all are tough and honest but we turn the ball over far to often coming out of defense.

Our game plan isn't suited to dry weather football IMO, it works in the wet but get get shown up on fast tracks, I honesly think we have to review the press.

Age profile of the list, future is bright but we don't have enough middle aged players IMO.

I've been harping on about this for ages, IMO our biggest need is a classy halfback, ideally 2 of them, and yes I know Shazza should be a classy HB in the future (providing he stays) but we're still 2 short IMO, we won't win a flag with Sinclair-Toovey-Marsh-Frost-Brown in the same back line, all of those boys are ordinary disposers.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:56 am

Look over Clokes footy career so far, with the exception if 2010 & 2011 it's been pretty much like this year. He is 29 next year and not going to get better

What you see is what it will be until the slow painful death of his footy life.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
Look over Clokes footy career so far, with the exception if 2010 & 2011 it's been pretty much like this year. He is 29 next year and not going to get better

What you see is what it will be until the slow painful death of his footy life.

He has a long history of losing form for long periods, I'm hoping he's got an injury issue, but if he hasn't he should be dropped, shit if he does have issues we may as well give him the rest of the year off to get ready for 2016 anyway.

In his defense our game plan is a KFs worst nightmare, constantly coming in from wide and flooding our own forward line makes his life very hard.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
roar 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:47 pm

Defender wrote:
I've been harping on about this for ages, IMO our biggest need is a classy halfback, ideally 2 of them, and yes I know Shazza should be a classy HB in the future (providing he stays) but we're still 2 short IMO, we won't win a flag with Sinclair-Toovey-Marsh-Frost-Brown in the same back line, all of those boys are ordinary disposers.

Agree that it's an area of concern but I think Sharon, Maynard and Ramsay should provide a pretty good combo. I think the bigger problem is that our coaching staff seem to think a backline choc full of ball-burners like Toovey, Sinclair, Frost and Williams won't turn the ball over every second disposal.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:57 pm

^^^ I think they actually wanted to play Ramsay, Keeffe and Scharenberg as three of that four but, for various reasons, mostly couldn't.
courtza 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:05 pm

I think our list is overrated, Pendlebury and Swan to a degree are our only elite players. Cloke is not elite and I dont think Sidey is either.
Richmonds list is better than ours, Id go as far as to say we have one of the worst lists in the comp.
Our list is based on future potential not current. Teenagers and early twenties players dont stand up against mature lists unless they are truly elite.
The entire top eight have mature lists with a sprinkle of youth with the Bullies being the exception.
We might have a good list but its years away.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:09 pm

roar wrote:
Defender wrote:

Agree that it's an area of concern but I think Sharon, Maynard and Ramsay should provide a pretty good combo. I think the bigger problem is that our coaching staff seem to think a backline choc full of ball-burners like Toovey, Sinclair, Frost and Williams won't turn the ball over every second disposal.

Shazza doesn't want to play for us, Ramsay was injured and Maynard has been played. Keeffe was also unavailable. Next year, we may well see Reid playing back in defence to give it more experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: