Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott to 'shirtfront' Putin

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Obama's kill count is probably 10 times that of Putin, and that's being generous.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:13 pm

1061 wrote:

I said we as in our glorious country is a huge Aircraft Carrier!

With Abbott at the helm I'm reminded of a few quotes regarding the Titanic!
"God himself could not sink this ship!"
Unknown Titanic crewmember to embarking passenger, Mrs Sylvia Caldwell.

I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that.
Captain Edward Smith.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:38 pm

This Monty Phython quote best sums up Abbott

"Our experts describe you as an appallingly dull fellow, unimaginative, timid, lacking in initiative, spineless, easily dominated, no sense of humour, tedious company and irrepressibly drab and awful. And whereas in most professions these would be considerable drawbacks, in chartered accountancy they are a positive boon."

Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Obviously replace chartered accountancy with politics and you have a winner, or should that be halfwit loser.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:37 am

OEP wrote:

"Our experts describe you as an appallingly dull fellow, unimaginative, timid, lacking in initiative, spineless, easily dominated, no sense of humour, tedious company and irrepressibly drab and awful. And whereas in most professions these would be considerable drawbacks, in chartered accountancy they are a positive boon."

Obviously replace chartered accountancy with politics and you have a winner, or should that be halfwit loser.

Replace the term "chartered accountant" with Politician and you've described most of them on all sides. That fits Shorten to a T.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:48 am

stui magpie wrote:
OEP wrote:

Replace the term "chartered accountant" with Politician and you've described most of them on all sides. That fits Shorten to a T.

Unfortunately this is true, he must be a nice fellow but he comes across as a public service twit.

Maybe he will be the sacrificial lamb for the first election post the Julia/Rudd fiasco and will be replaced in the second half of the next term for the ALP to have a chance against by then PM Bishop.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:11 am

Now we are sending a ship to keep watch on the Russians because "the Russians are spying on the G20". This Government are treating the public like idiots. Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 am

^^^
"Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite".
Every nation gets the government it deserves.

Joseph de Maistre.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:14 am

Culprit wrote:
Now we are sending a ship to keep watch on the Russians because "the Russians are spying on the G20". This Government are treating the public like idiots. Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes

I thought we had two frigates shadowing them.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:22 am

We've known those ships have been coming for months, they let us know. The media are such a bunch of tools. "Tone tells off Putin, Putin sends warships" yeah good one, idiots.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:03 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Abbott had two choices:

1). To say nothing about the events of MH17 back in July which would have been Shorten's course of action and of course would have received backlash from many people I'm sure as it would have appeared that he did not care about the victims of M17, especially the ones from Australia.

With respect Jezza, that's pure speculative bullshit.

Deal with facts: we know what the Mad Misogynist Miners Monk did & said.

We don't know what Shorten may have done or said when presented with the same set of options.

Well Shorten has intended to not talk to or acknowledge Putin if he was to have the opportunity to do so during the G20 meeting. He's quoted saying this the other day.

It's not the wrong position to take either as I can understand his logic that Putin doesn't care about Australia's opinion on the recent downing of MH17 back in July and who they reckon may be responsible for such a serious incident but to say that it's speculative is rubbish in the current context.

However if Shorten was the Prime Minister then maybe his course of action would be different in regards to how he would approach the situation with Putin, but as you say it's pure speculation in this context.

But I'm curious if Abbott's course of action was totally wrong, what would the preferred alternative be? I'm not agreeing with Abbott's actions necessarily but I'm just curious as so many are critical of Abbott's actions but haven't come up with an alternative of how they would approached this whole situation.

By the way here's the article from the Sydney Morning Herald of what Shorten said.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/shorten-reveals-surprise-tactic-hed-adopt-with-putin--say-nothing-20141112-11kv6b.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Jezza wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Abbott had two choices:

1). To say nothing about the events of MH17 back in July which would have been Shorten's course of action and of course would have received backlash from many people I'm sure as it would have appeared that he did not care about the victims of M17, especially the ones from Australia.

With respect Jezza, that's pure speculative bullshit.

Deal with facts: we know what the Mad Misogynist Miners Monk did & said.

We don't know what Shorten may have done or said when presented with the same set of options.

Well Shorten has intended to not talk to or acknowledge Putin if he was to have the opportunity to do so during the G20 meeting. He's quoted saying this the other day.

It's not the wrong position to take either as I can understand his logic that Putin doesn't care about Australia's opinion on the recent downing of MH17 back in July and who they reckon may be responsible for such a serious incident but to say that it's speculative is rubbish in the current context.

However if Shorten was the Prime Minister then maybe his course of action would be different in regards to how he would approach the situation with Putin, but as you say it's pure speculation in this context.

But I'm curious if Abbott's course of action was totally wrong, what would the preferred alternative be? I'm not agreeing with Abbott's actions necessarily but I'm just curious as so many are critical of Abbott's actions but haven't come up with an alternative of how they would approached this whole situation.

By the way here's the article from the Sydney Morning Herald of what Shorten said.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/shorten-reveals-surprise-tactic-hed-adopt-with-putin--say-nothing-20141112-11kv6b.html

Thanks for the link. I take it back with respect to what you wrote about Shorten. Cheers. I have edited my initial post to reflect this.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:00 pm

All Shorten was saying was the G20 Economic Summit isn't the right the place for such a confrontation and he was correct.
The leader of the opposition was well aware of the damage done to Russia- Australia relations by the P.M and the futility of talks with him in the present tense political climate.
(my 2c, Shorten didn't get Abbott into this mess, so why help him out of it?).

Shorten actual did suggest a third option Jezza fails to list.
Gather your evidence get international opinion on your side and take the matter to the International court of Justice like any civilized country would!

Unfortunately for Australia Abbott jumped on the thump the Ruskie band-wagon and started talking about banning Putin from even attending months ago ...and then there was the idiotic shirtfront "promise".
Abbott truly feels most comfortable in "dog whistle" attack dog mode and damn the consequences!
The world is tense place at the moment (in case anyone hasn't noticed) and this sort of idiotic chest thumping diplomacy does absolutely no one any good!

"Just to clarify *you wouldn't seek to talk to Mr Putin," a journalist asked.
"Not in the first instance," Mr Shorten agreed.
Mr Shorten said Australia's diplomatic efforts would be better focused talking to its allies to pressure Moscow at international forums.
"Talking these matters isn't going to resolve it now directly at APEC or at G20," he said

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 am; edited 3 times in total
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:12 pm

A family member of a victim pointed out that the inquiry hasn't yet determined what or who caused the crash.

Barrie Cassidy in the Drum on the ABC website is most entertaining. He barracks for the Pies, by the way
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Relations between Australia and Russia are both pretty unimportant and generally pretty bad. Abbott was playing for the home crowd and Putin is doing the same.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 pm

When was this exactly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: