Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should the Bible carry an age restriction?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should children be allowed to read the Bible?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:28 pm
Post subject: Should the Bible carry an age restriction?Reply with quote

As anyone who's familiar with the Old Testament will know, the Bible contains some pretty adult content. Just off the top of my head, there are (sometimes quite graphic) descriptions of murder, rape, incest, dismemberings, war crimes and infanticide, and that's before we even get to the passages stating that homosexuals should be put to death or featuring kings being punished by God for not slaughtering civilians.

If you told an average person about a hypothetical book containing this contentwithout mentioning that it was the Bibleand then asked them whether they thought children should be allowed to read it, I suspect that most people would say no.

There is precedent for this kind of thinking, of course: when it comes to films, we have a classification system that aims to prevent children from seeing graphic violence or sex.

Yet, we've never really had anything of the sort for books. As far as I know, there's nothing stopping a child from picking up a HP Lovecraft novel or Mein Kampf or Lolita in a shop or library and reading it from cover to cover. Essentially, it seems like we have a different standard for words and images.

Do you think that distinction is reasonable? If so, why? And if not, and we need to be more careful about what kinds of books are available to children, should the Bible carry, say, a 13+ rating? What do you think?

(For Stui's sake, I've added a super-straightforward poll that even he can't complain about. Wink)

Last edited by David on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for crying out loud I thought you had a job to keep you occupied.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:56 pm

seriously David, are you just trying to pick fights? maybe give yourself some stuff to moderate? do you get badges for moderations or something?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:01 pm

think positive wrote:
seriously David, are you just trying to pick fights?

No, what makes you think that? You don't think it's an interesting topic?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:14 pm

no

besides: WHO READS THESE DAYS!!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Yes all religious material should be 85+ cause by that age picking up an AK47 or the like and firing in anger cause someone disagrees with your choice should be beyond the physical capacity of most Razz
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't think it should be regulated, Morrigu - that tends to create a market for things that people otherwise wouldn't think especially interesting. If you ban the bible, some folk might think they should read it.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't think it should be regulated, Morrigu - that tends to create a market for things that people otherwise wouldn't think especially interesting. If you ban the bible, some folk might think they should read it.

^ Excellent point!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:01 pm

When I was a kid, I'm sure I had a "children's pictorial bible". All I can say is that I was clearly robbed, or I missed the sealed section, alas.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Ha, I think I had a series of those as well. Most of the nasty bits left out, naturally!

Wish this had been around when I was a kid:

http://www.thebricktestament.com/home.html

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Mugwump wrote:
When I was a kid, I'm sure I had a "children's pictorial bible". All I can say is that I was clearly robbed, or I missed the sealed section, alas.

Half your luck I had an Irish Mic family who were always blithering on about hell and purgatory and sin and blah blah blah blah!

( I always have this over whelming urge to launch into Monty Python whenever someone says when I was young etc - I shall resist the temptation)

Anyway thankfully most that came to these fair shores including ma got over it

Mind you they might have been right - for my sins ( whatever the hell that means) I have been sent to work in purg no sorry public health Razz

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:40 pm

This Poll should be moved to general feedback.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Looking at the poll results, I was getting more of an "English Premier and A-League Soccer" forum vibe.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Half your luck I had an Irish Mic family who were always blithering on about hell and purgatory and sin and blah blah blah blah!

( I always have this over whelming urge to launch into Monty Python whenever someone says when I was young etc - I shall resist the temptation)

Anyway thankfully most that came to these fair shores including ma got over it

Mind you they might have been right - for my sins ( whatever the hell that means) I have been sent to work in purg no sorry public health Razz

Same background here, Morrigu, including catholic school, the lot. Interestingly, I saw no evidence of child molestation despite the high number of priests, though I suspect, on the evidence, I was lucky.

It seems to me that the major issues with child abuse in the Catholic Church have deeply Irish sources - twisted roots coming from the incredible privations of the Irish over centuries, and the brutality that this kind of privation and oppression fosters. As I've come to know many Italians and Latin Americans, I realise that their Catholicism is much more grounded in earthy realities, and sin is simply sin, not a filthy secret. I suppose that is why the sex abuse scandals have been concentrated in countries where the Irish Catholic Diaspora mainly migrated - The US, Australia, the Uk, and (separate case) in Ireland itself on a monumental scale.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:42 pm

think positive wrote:
no

besides: WHO READS THESE DAYS!!

I read every night even if I go to bed at 3am and have to be up at 6am I will still read for a bit! (but not the bible). Most nights I would read for about 45 minutes before I go to sleep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: