Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ryan Griffin wants out from Dogs to GWS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey wrote:
Can't believe I'm saying this but Bulldogs are showing the Pies how it's done. Not caring about crappy fringe players that would just clog our salary cap but throwing a massive offer right back at GWS to poach Tom Boyd.

Why haven't we done this. If we know Beam's is gonna leave, take his money and throw it at one of Brisbane's kids, or at a star from another club like a Cameron or Treloar and make Brisbane deal with them to get them to us if they want Beams.

No way Doggies are a more attractive club than us considering their internal turmoil and coaching situation. It's all about the $$ these days so we must use it to our advantage.

Spot on - how have we not been able to engage Tom even if it doesn't happen but to know he nominated us as a trade option.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:15 pm

mattdally wrote:
Absolutely agree. We need to flex more muscle in this. Let's try to poach Dylan Shiel / Adam Treloar / Lachie Whitfield.

Never thought I would ever say this but our negotiations have suddenly become soft as bloody butter over the weekend...... Rolling Eyes
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:20 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Can't believe I'm saying this but Bulldogs are showing the Pies how it's done. Not caring about crappy fringe players that would just clog our salary cap but throwing a massive offer right back at GWS to poach Tom Boyd.

Why haven't we done this. If we know Beam's is gonna leave, take his money and throw it at one of Brisbane's kids, or at a star from another club like a Cameron or Treloar and make Brisbane deal with them to get them to us if they want Beams.

No way Doggies are a more attractive club than us considering their internal turmoil and coaching situation. It's all about the $$ these days so we must use it to our advantage.

Spot on - how have we not been able to engage Tom even if it doesn't happen but to know he nominated us as a trade option.

mitch honeychurch is a good mate of boyd's. not sure which of our players would have a relationship with boyd.

it sounds very opportunistic of boyd and his management. i doubt we'd have anything gws would want that we'd be prepared to offer up. i have not included beams in this because of the primary driver to get back to brisbane.

Harvey 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:10 pm

John Wren wrote:

it sounds very opportunistic of boyd and his management. i doubt we'd have anything gws would want that we'd be prepared to offer up. i have not included beams in this because of the primary driver to get back to brisbane.

Well it doesn't seem to have stopped Brisbane considering they don't have anything to offer that we would want! If the Beams trade goes through as is, it sets the precedent that when a contracted player nominates a team, the nominated team can just offer up whatever scraps they have without hurting and get the player. We should just apply the same tactic to other clubs and players.

If that doesn't actually work and other clubs stand their ground more than us, it just shows our administration has failed and caved. I really hope we're holding out for a better offer. A lot of bargaining chips (mainly at other clubs) are opening up this week. We'd be stupid to just take Brisbane's offer just cause they added a packet of Crisps.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:40 pm

To be honest I'm not entirely happy seeing a player who's been at a club for a single year demanding such things.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:44 pm

swoop42 wrote:
To be honest I'm not entirely happy seeing a player who's been at a club for a single year demanding such things.

How long was Bucks at the Brion's before he wanted out?? 2 years??? Rolling Eyes
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Lazza wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

How long was Bucks at the Brion's before he wanted out?? 2 years??? Rolling Eyes

It was one.

It was a different landscape 20 years ago though playing at a club in a non football state and the bears were probably aware when they drafted Buckley he would be looking to move after his first season.

While GWS is a new identity like the bears were back in 1993, the NSW market for AFL isn't and in this day and age wages and conditions for players has never been better, the draft is no longer a chook raffle it was 20 years ago and No.1 draft pick is rightly highly prized.

Unlike Buckley who won the rising star in 93 Boyd has yet to show much at AFL level and while he's every chance to live up to his potential that saw him go No.1 it does smack of a little arrogance to be demanding a trade after a single year.

Museman 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:30 pm

GWS apparently don't have a problem dealing with in contract players.....we should have been heavily into Cameron from the moment we found out Beams was on the way out, we get him to nominate us and we tell the bears you satisfy GWS.

You could substitute Cameron for any other gun really, but the effect is the same.

I selected Cameron for the obvious reasons, but he is also one of us.
Harvey 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:33 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

It was one.

It was a different landscape 20 years ago though playing at a club in a non football state and the bears were probably aware when they drafted Buckley he would be looking to move after his first season.

While GWS is a new identity like the bears were back in 1993, the NSW market for AFL isn't and in this day and age wages and conditions for players has never been better, the draft is no longer a chook raffle it was 20 years ago and No.1 draft pick is rightly highly prized.

Unlike Buckley who won the rising star in 93 Boyd has yet to show much at AFL level and while he's every chance to live up to his potential that saw him go No.1 it does smack of a little arrogance to be demanding a trade after a single year.

Buckley chose us because he wanted to win premierships (ironically). Boyd's choosing Doggies for no other reason than money as Doggies are in shambles atm.

These days, it seems like players can just get an instant pay rise by requesting a trade to another club. Why see out your contract to wait for a payrise when you can get it one year earlier?

That's why I'm keen for the club to make a stand. Can't start setting a precedent that we will allow this to happen. Even if we keep Beams and can't negotiate another trade for him next year and he leaves for money, we can just use the free salary cap space he creates to aggressively go after another player (contracted or not). These days salary cap space is almost more valuable than draft picks.
Harvey 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:33 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

It was one.

Buckley chose us because he wanted to win premierships (ironically). Boyd's choosing Doggies for no other reason than money as Doggies are in shambles atm.

These days, it seems like players can just get an instant pay rise by requesting a trade to another club. Why see out your contract to wait for a payrise when you can get it one year earlier?

That's why I'm keen for the club to make a stand. Can't start setting a precedent that we will allow this to happen. Even if we keep Beams and can't negotiate another trade for him next year and he leaves for money, we can just use the free salary cap space he creates to aggressively go after another player (contracted or not). These days salary cap space is almost more valuable than draft picks.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

It was one.

I wonder if we could get Boyd, GWS takes Brissy's offer and we give brissy beams???? Boyd is one year away from being the next big thing. I'd go for it if it was on the table.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:35 pm

^It's an idea and a good one but I doubt GWS will end up indulging Boyd and will simply offer pick 4 and something else for Griffin.

Boyd will still command a big trade next year though like Beams he will be uncontracted so they probably wont get the same value in return with the threat of him entering the PSD hanging over there head.

If Bulldogs want Boyd then it'll be Griffen and pick 6 at a minimum you'd imagine which would trump pick 5, 25, 30 etc. so we'd have to come up with something extra.

Can't see us doing that considering we're getting Moore and have Cloke.

The dogs have no one.

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:52 pm

And that will be why Boyd wants to go there. He won't be in line behind Cameron and Patton, or Cloke for argument's sake, he'll be the top dog (etp).

I won't say we don't want Boyd, but I don't think we want him enough to part with what we'd have to part with. We have Cloke, Reid, Moore - of course he would strengthen the mix but we are better off investing resources in midfielders

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:01 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Yep, absolute winker who thinks he's above it all.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 pm

They wont be trading Boyd in a straight swap for Griffen that much is for sure.

The bulldogs are kidding themselves if they believe it will.

Griffen is what 28, 29?

Boyd is one year into the system and a former No.1 pick power forward.

They don't come cheap.

Griffen and pick 6 would get them closer but still probably wont be enough IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: