Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The "What do we get for Beams?" thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

If Greenwood maintains his form from this season that's at least 80% of Beams covered already at a minimum.

Who knows he might just get better from here on out and close the gap again next season.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 am

Eddie has confirmed that the deal will be done. Link to follow shortly.
jdpie1970 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:49 am

Breadcrawl wrote:
We don't need to wait for free agency or target players out of contract.

Brisbane didn't.

Rockliff is the way to make everything right again

There are a lot more Victorian boys at Brisbane than Queensland boys at Collingwood. Hopefully we have a bit of spite in us and take pleasure in extracting the best of the bunch from them in the next couple of years.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 am

Here's Eddie's comments on MMM this morning, as reported on the AFL site:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-14/green-light-for-beams

He's quoted as saying that the 5-way trade has been approved, including Varcoe to the 'Pies.

And here's the link to the MMM page with the sound-bite:

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/trade-free-agency2/trade-free-agency-tracker/2014/10/the-multi-club-swap-around-the-collingwood-brisbane-deal-for-dayne-beams/
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:29 am

Bucks2014 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
I like the look of Crisp. He has size, pace and seemingly good foot skills. Looks a really good runner which should be our number 1 priority. So I'm not disappointed that it seems as if he'll be added to our list.

The fact remains though that he has very little value and that the deal, if it goes ahead, is a loss for us and a big win for the Lions.

And let's remember that Simon Buckley had most of the same attributes Wink.

Note the comparison, I think this kid has more tricks though. He isn't scared is very quick and I liked the way he stepped around opponents.

Anyway time will tell, how long to the NAB Cup or whatever they call it these days? I will admit I'm a shit judge of talent as I thought Jesse White was going to be our recruit of the year, wow I got that horribly wrong.

I'm more comfortable with 5, 25 & Crisp for Beams than I am with Lumumba for Varcoe. Crisp is hopefully just a late developer but he appears to have some upside. Varcoe you know what you'll get and I'd prefer to get pick 23 for H to use in the draft, either that or a straight swap for Greenwood and use 25 in the draft.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:30 am

Albert Parker wrote:
^Tasteless?

Completely.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 am

In case anyone still cares, Beams' manager is apparently going to be on AFL trade radio at 11am.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:44 am

What we've basically gotten is pick 5, Greenwood and Crisp. Greenwood came second in his clubs B&F last season, a club that made a preliminary final mind you.

If Greenwood played for Brisbane and we ended up trading beams for pick 5, the second player in Brisbane's B&F and Crisp we'd be fairly pleased, so i don't see an issue with this deal at all to be honest. Sure, I would have preferred Redden or Aish but it's clear Brisbane simply weren't willing to do it and at the end of the day, as much as some here would have apparently loved to see it, keeping Beams was not an option. He's been working to make his position untenable (no B&F turnup, smart ass comments on social media etc) and he's gotten his way.

As far as Varcoe for H, I think that's a level trade. I've been one of H's biggest fans during his career with us but the last 2 seasons he's been disappointing in my eyes. Plays ripper first quarters and constantly disappears afterwards, not to mention that in games where we lose his impact is normally quite low. His best games come during Collingwood's best games, he thrives on our momentum, not the other way around.

Varcoe may not be everyone's favourite player but he fills in some gaps for us; he's got pace, can use the football, has an x factor that we are desperately missing and has been part of a successful system at Geelong.

I'm content with the business we've done, hopefully we pick the right player at the draft!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:55 am

King Malta wrote:
What we've basically gotten is pick 5, Greenwood and Crisp. Greenwood came second in his clubs B&F last season, a club that made a preliminary final mind you.

If Greenwood played for Brisbane and we ended up trading beams for pick 5, the second player in Brisbane's B&F and Crisp we'd be fairly pleased, so i don't see an issue with this deal at all to be honest. Sure, I would have preferred Redden or Aish but it's clear Brisbane simply weren't willing to do it and at the end of the day, as much as some here would have apparently loved to see it, keeping Beams was not an option. He's been working to make his position untenable (no B&F turnup, smart ass comments on social media etc) and he's gotten his way.

As far as Varcoe for H, I think that's a level trade. I've been one of H's biggest fans during his career with us but the last 2 seasons he's been disappointing in my eyes. Plays ripper first quarters and constantly disappears afterwards, not to mention that in games where we lose his impact is normally quite low. His best games come during Collingwood's best games, he thrives on our momentum, not the other way around.

Varcoe may not be everyone's favourite player but he fills in some gaps for us; he's got pace, can use the football, has an x factor that we are desperately missing and has been part of a successful system at Geelong.

I'm content with the business we've done, hopefully we pick the right player at the draft!

Can't disagree with that. I guess, my only misgiving is that I have never seen Crisp play. Apparently he's a big bodied, hard at it, gut running midfielder, which is what we need. Struggling to get a regular game at the Lions is a definite worry, but at 21 yrs of age, there may be huge upside with him. I guess we'll know in a year or two, whether he was a good recruit. If he becomes part of our best 22 then its been a good deal.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:21 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
In case anyone still cares, Beams' manager is apparently going to be on AFL trade radio at 11am.

And this is a summary of what he apparently said:

"11.20am: The manager of Dayne Beams is confident he will become a Brisbane Lion before Thursday's 2pm deadline.

Paul Connors told Trade Radio talks were "not done and dusted but were all heading in the right direction".

Connors also said the Magpies had wanted Beams to attend the best and fairest but he spoke to coach Nathan Buckley beforehand about feeling "uncomfortable" about going.

And, he said there were only "off the cuff" talks with Greater Western Sydney about Beams going there but it was mainly Heath Shaw who wanted him on board."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-14/live-trade-period-two-days-to-deadline-day
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:24 am

Just to make it more confusing, this is The Age's take on the very same interview:

"11:02am- Dayne Beams' manager Paul Connors has told AFL Trade Radio that his imminent trade to the Brisbane Lions is 'not done and dusted yet'.

Connors said there was still a bit of water to go under bridge and hopefully it was all headed in the right direction.

Beams and Connors are waiting for Collingwood to complete its due diligence surrounding Jack Crisp who will head to Collingwood along with pick five and pick 25 as part of the deal."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trade-period-2014-day-nine-20141014-115muf.html#ixzz3G4fHiUpf
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:

Brisbane didn't.

Rockliff wont leave, he loves it up there.

I say we don't give up on Aish. The kid is refusing to sign a contract. I reckon he wants to come to Collingwood and play under his hero, Nathan Buckley, and with his good mates, Schrenberg, Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead. It's just that he doesn't feel right about asking for a trade in his first year.

Our first pick in 2015 should get the deal done. Cool
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:

Brisbane didn't.

I say we don't give up on Aish. The kid is refusing to sign a contract. I reckon he wants to come to Collingwood and play under his hero, Nathan Buckley, and with his good mates, Schrenberg, Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead. It's just that he doesn't feel right about asking for a trade in his first year.

I'd rather we go after Botempelli. Smile
E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:07 pm

swoop42 wrote:
If Greenwood maintains his form from this season that's at least 80% of Beams covered already at a minimum.

Who knows he might just get better from here on out and close the gap again next season.

Frankly, our problem stems from the fact that we are replacing players with players who are 80% of the player they are replacing. When we were premiers, the team that won the wooden spoon had players that were across the board on average probably 90% as good as our players.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Domesticated_Ape wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:

Brisbane didn't.

I'd rather we go after Botempelli. Smile

we could of course hunt the spoon next year while our youth develops and then take a Boyd or Aish with the number 1 pick in the preseason draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 63 of 67   

Jump to: