Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Good read: an article about trading by Greg Baum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:06 pm
Post subject: Good read: an article about trading by Greg BaumReply with quote

The wonderful Greg Baum has written an interesting article in the Age about the horse trading etc. He invariably writes a decent article:

BTW, the word Palimpsest is defined by Wiki as:

A palimpsest /ˈpælɪmpsɛst/ is a manuscript page, either from a scroll or a book, from which the text has been either scraped or washed off so that the page can be reused, for another document. In contemporary usage, the denotation of the term palimpsest also is used in architecture, archaeology, and geomorphology.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/trading-faces-the-game-within-the-game-sparked-by-free-agency-and-fans-frenzy-20141014-1160fh.html

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

russell greene ... a last from the past, my old history teacher.

Quote:
Otherwise, a player's only protection is mediocrity, being neither good enough to be saleable nor poor enough to be dispensable.

there's got to be something said for mediocrity. Laughing

good article.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Good read.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 pm

"The Saints had won 5 more wooden spoons" - Ah, good times.
SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:45 am
Post subject: Re: Good read: an article about trading by Greg BaumReply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
The wonderful Greg Baum has written an interesting article in the Age about the horse trading etc. He invariably writes a decent article:

A palimpsest /ˈpælɪmpsɛst/ is a manuscript page, either from a scroll or a book, from which the text has been either scraped or washed off so that the page can be reused, for another document. In contemporary usage, the denotation of the term palimpsest also is used in architecture, archaeology, and geomorphology.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/trading-faces-the-game-within-the-game-sparked-by-free-agency-and-fans-frenzy-20141014-1160fh.html

Good article. I am a long-standing admirer of Greg Baum's journalism. Don't know if he's a Collingwood supporter or not, but do you reckon we could get him to start posting on Nick's ? It would improve the tone of the site no end.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:36 am
Post subject: Re: Good read: an article about trading by Greg BaumReply with quote

SuperSwede wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Good article. I am a long-standing admirer of Greg Baum's journalism. Don't know if he's a Collingwood supporter or not, but do you reckon we could get him to start posting on Nick's ? It would improve the tone of the site no end.

Yes, he is a Collingwood supporter. Like you I've admired his work for quite a while too.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 am

SuperSwede wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

The tone of Nick's won't be improved by having another logical, articulate poster. The site already has plenty of those. What would improve the tone of the place would be if some of the more vocal clowns in the "for Buckley" and "against Buckley" camps would just stop braying. They've spread like a pair of flesh-eating viruses and have sucked most of the the oxygen out of the place.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:02 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
SuperSwede wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

The tone of Nick's won't be improved by having another logical, articulate poster. The site already has plenty of those. What would improve the tone of the place would be if some of the more vocal clowns in the "for Buckley" and "against Buckley" camps would just stop braying. They've spread like a pair of flesh-eating viruses and have sucked most of the the oxygen out of the place.
just use the ignore button, you don't have to read the crap and they get no Oxygen
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:22 am

"The other factor is social media. Once, the involvement of fans was arm's length and on delay. Now it is immediate and palpable, and since Richmond's signing of Ben Cousins five years has been seen to figure in the decision-making".

Hope this means we'll be getting pick 23 today. It's what the people want pies!

"It has also revealed, surprisingly, that fans can be as callous as they think officials are, and as cavalier as their perception of players. They move names around like so many fridge magnets, wilfully blind to the fact that each name represents a person, a life, a family, a network of roots, a set of hopes, dreams and fears".

Yep that's us!

"But it is changing with the landscape. In a freer market, it is fraught for a fan to become too attached to a player, or for that matter a coach".

Yep that's me. No more Daicos love affairs shall I see.

And it's off with Buckley's head should we not make finals next year.

Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:52 pm

swoop42 wrote:

"But it is changing with the landscape. In a freer market, it is fraught for a fan to become too attached to a player, or for that matter a coach".

Yep that's me. No more Daicos love affairs shall I see.

Laughing

Hands off, I saw him first

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

No they haven't; like Family First and Access Ministries, they are loud persistent and dead wrong. We just need to argue rationally and they'll get tired and go somewhere else......I hope.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:18 pm

John Wren wrote:
russell greene ... a last from the past, my old history teacher.

Quote:
Otherwise, a player's only protection is mediocrity, being neither good enough to be saleable nor poor enough to be dispensable.

there's got to be something said for mediocrity. Laughing

good article.

Mate, any number of office workers cottoned onto that philosophy decades ago. Wink

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks for posting. Is a good read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: