Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Burqa

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Proud Pies wrote:
mandy wrote:
If we're going to ban items of clothing, I say we start with leggings that are worn as pants in public.

Who's with me?

ban men in lycra

WPT would have to buy an entire new wardrobe!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:47 pm

Unfortunately, this has gained some traction. Niqab wearers are now banned from the public gallery in parliament house:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/03/tony-abbott-has-not-asked-for-burqa-ban-to-be-reversed-speakers-office-says

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:08 am

Any word on leggings?
#SIDEBYSIDE
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:27 am

I object to them. But because I think they are oppressive to woman, a form of slavery. Imagine wearing one of those every time you walk out the door, or another male is in your presence? Seriously Ł$%$ed up.

As for leggings, depends what you mean. Those thin cotton things, sometimes in garish patterns? Yep get your arse covered with a long top! Jeggings? As long as they are a thick material they look fine.

I have some thick ones from Jacquie e, they hold all the jiggles, but I still wear either a short dress, or long jumper with them. Can't beat them for comfort.

What about sports leggings? Aka skins? Seems all the rage now, like they think if they wear em, they've done their exercise!

So is this a body shame thing? ( OMG I sound like David!) can skinny girls wear em? Or is it only fattys copping the grief? I'll be honest,I see fatties in them, with the short tight top and think, gees you don't have a mirror? And even the skinnies in them, I think gees, breakfast is showing.

My daughter wears them as pants, and I'll occasionally say, you forgot something. But I gotta be honest, she looks sensational in them! As a mum, I'd rather she be a little more discreet. But after watching both my daughters go out on the town the last few years in little more than a band aide and a belt, hey, I'm kinda blasé now!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:51 pm

mandy wrote:
Any word on leggings?

I can't see em because of the bloody burqa's getting in the way.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:27 pm

swoop42 wrote:
mandy wrote:
Any word on leggings?

I can't see em because of the bloody burqa's getting in the way.

You misread the instruction manual (typical male). The Burqa's are for your wives not for you.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:39 pm

France's banning of the Burqa has allegedly led to a radicalisation of teenagers (amongst others): (ariticle in the Guardian):

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/03/schoolgirls-jihad-society-problem-france-burqa-ban

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:29 pm

^ way over the top!

I find only being able to see someone's eyes a bit uncomfortable but in the end that's my problem.

In some ways I think it would be quite liberating not having to worry about what you are going wear, not being subjected to looks and comments and not having to worry about whether it is fashionable ( not that I have any clues about fashion full stop!) - but then you'd have to get used to abuse and being spat on so maybe not.

And whilst I was reading that saw this......

Israel’s national airline, El Al, has been criticised for allowing ultra-orthodox Jewish men to disrupt flights by refusing to be seated next to women.

Female passengers on other airlines flying to and from Israel, such as British Airways and easyJet, have also been asked to move seats at the request of ultra-orthodox men. Some airlines close toilets for periods during flights to allow men to gather to pray.

The outcry over flights comes against a backdrop of moves by hardline ultra-orthodox communities in Israel to impose dress codes on women, restrictions on where they can sit on public buses, segregated checkout queues in supermarkets and the removal of women’s images from advertising hoardings.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/30/israeli-airline-ultra-orthodox-men-bullying-women

Why does it seem that male extremists of all religions have such a problem with women - ya wouldn't be here at all you pillocks without one Rolling Eyes

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ way over the top!

Israel’s national airline, El Al, has been criticised for allowing ultra-orthodox Jewish men to disrupt flights by refusing to be seated next to women.
Why does it seem that male extremists of all religions have such a problem with women - Rolling Eyes

Did you have to bite the apple the snake gave you then offer it to me?

Another example of the historical origins of Misogyny.

Then again your question could be framed as why do men have such a problem with women? Given a woman is killed every week by a man in Australia.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:43 pm

^ WPT, I could quibble with your premise (the fact that domestic violence is sickeningly common doesn't mean that even the average man has a "problem" with women in that direction), but the question is valid one.

It's a bit of a minefield, but I suppose that it's because male sexuality is a goal-directed, urgent, state of tension requiring release, and unresolved tension easily turns into anger. Because women have independent wills and usually pretty clear ideas about which men they want to choose, many men spend a lot of time being denied, or in fear of denial. Women's desire can be like that (I'm told!), but most of the time it seems a bit different.

I suspect this is why, historically, most societies - where men have had the power - have tended to accord tremendous power to female sexuality and tried to curb it with clothing, or with concepts like shame. It's men being afraid of their weakness, and their anger, and projecting that fear onto women. Since religion is very concerned with virtue and the avoidance of sin, religious men are particularly fearful of that awesome feminine power.

I dislike the burqa/niqab etc greatly, but in a pluralist society it is a choice that we should leave people to make. By remaining pluralist, I think we have a good chance it'll fade as a choice, much as veils and wimples - which had the same source - have faded from Christian societies since the 50s. Where I differ from the PC brigade is that I think we should be allowed to satirise it as a choice. At the moment I don't think we have that courage.

On domestic violence, I suspect it is often simply because living with another person is the ultimate challnge in dealing with independent wills, and when a man with aggression or self-control problems loses it, it happens to be a woman who is there. Sometimes the kids get it. If it was another man, then another man might get it. The problem is the nexus between anger and violence in men generally, and the self-control problems of many individual men. Sometimes it's also with violent women !

Last edited by Mugwump on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:49 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
^ way over the top!

Why does it seem that male extremists of all religions have such a problem with women - Rolling Eyes

Then again your question could be framed as why do men have such a problem with women? Given a woman is killed every week by a man in Australia.

Which man is that? He should be punished.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
^ way over the top!

Which man is that? He should be punished.

Busy bastard, killing one a week.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:08 pm

mugwump wrote:
Where I differ from the PC brigade is that I think we should be allowed to satirise it as a choice. At the moment I don't think we have that courage.

I know what you mean, but the libertarian angle on this is yet again being more fundamentalist than rational by favouring abstract mental symmetry (absolute free speech as a natural law) over real world consequences. Even worse, such is the obsession here that many contradict themselves in a much worse way by—as you and even Two Tier Tony rightly note—wanting to dress people!

I think the more salient point is the following, though.

Think about the anatomy of satire for a moment; it is the (often) purposeful distortion of a recognisable norm (aka "irony"). And the stronger the irony, ipso facto the more established the norm. For instance, black humour is only humorous because it is so recognisably "naughty" (and, sadly, often confused with its less sophisticated poor cousin, shock humour).

The issue here is that too few people are currently working out of a non-violent norm when it comes to this topic, and hence simply do not generate the kind of humorous irony you have in mind, taking the matter far too literally. And, for obvious reasons, irony which incites violence is no longer very humourous!

Obviously there is a line in there somewhere, but I'd say the evidence at the moment points to such humour being far more irresponsible than ironic.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:18 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
^ way over the top!

Presuming that each woman is being killed by a different man (probably not literally the case, but close enough statistically), that means that 0.0004% of Australia's male population kills a woman every year. Not sure what that says about the other 99.9996%.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:45 pm

pietillidie wrote:
mugwump wrote:
Where I differ from the PC brigade is that I think we should be allowed to satirise it as a choice. At the moment I don't think we have that courage.

I know what you mean, but the libertarian angle on this is yet again being more fundamentalist than rational by favouring abstract mental symmetry (absolute free speech as a natural law) over real world consequences. Even worse, such is the obsession here that many contradict themselves in a much worse way by—as you and even Two Tier Tony rightly note—wanting to dress people!

I think the more salient point is the following, though.

Think about the anatomy of satire for a moment; it is the (often) purposeful distortion of a recognisable norm (aka "irony"). And the stronger the irony, ipso facto the more established the norm. For instance, black humour is only humorous because it is so recognisably "naughty" (and, sadly, often confused with its less sophisticated poor cousin, shock humour).

The issue here is that too few people are currently working out of a non-violent norm when it comes to this topic, and hence simply do not generate the kind of humorous irony you have in mind, taking the matter far too literally. And, for obvious reasons, irony which incites violence is no longer very humourous!

Obviously there is a line in there somewhere, but I'd say the evidence at the moment points to such humour being far more irresponsible than ironic.

Well, yes, it's tricky, and i can see the limits of free speech where it is likely to incite hatred or its physical sibling, violence - but humour and irony is different from hate speech and humans distinguish between them with relative ease. If some people react to satire with violence they're likely to do so on some other pretext ; and if they do, we clobber them with the law. If people want to adopt extreme religous norms in a free secular society, however, they must expect to be subject to secular criticism.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: