Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Period: The Age ranks us LAST

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
Free agency's not the AFL's baby.

If I'm right the AFL opposed free agency but the AFL Players Association pushed hard for it over many years and finally won.
It is just stupid to put limits of a club's football related spending on one hand and then allow champion players to go to the Premiers on the other. Rolling Eyes Such a bloody mess but hey, thats what Luke Ball and his mates at the APA wanted. Crying or Very sad
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:46 am

I think there's probably a broader debate to be had about whether the people who watch the game - and are ultimately the reason it is able to generate large quantities of money - want a competition that is run principally for the benefit of the professional players competing in it or for the benefit of the clubs the watchers support.

The players are paid reasonably well. Many other well-paid occupations impose constraints upon how the participants can act and operate. It is not necessary to start on the assumption that players should be able to maximise their earnings. Free agency is only "necessary" from the players' perspective. There's nothing immutable about it.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:04 am

Lazza wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Free agency's not the AFL's baby.

If I'm right the AFL opposed free agency but the AFL Players Association pushed hard for it over many years and finally won.
It is just stupid to put limits of a club's football related spending on one hand and then allow champion players to go to the Premiers on the other. Rolling Eyes Such a bloody mess but hey, thats what Luke Ball and his mates at the APA wanted. Crying or Very sad

if a select few are getting most of the money there are a lot that aren't getting much in comparison. what's the salary cap nowadays?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:13 am

$10.071 million in 2015, according to the AFL. That's about $250,000 per listed player, on average, I guess (I'm not entirely sure at this stage whether the figures stated include rookie payments etc).

I also specifically mention this change, which I hadn't previously noticed: "If clubs spend less than the salary cap in one season they will be able to spend more than the cap the following season."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-05/salary-cap-safeguards-for-players-confirmed

THE AFL has confirmed the salary cap will rise beyond $10 million next season.

The cap will rise by $150,000 in each of the next two years, taking the Total Player Payments limit to $10.071 million in 2015 and $10.36 million in 2016.

Both the League and the AFL Players' Association confirmed the change after the two parties wrapped up the mid-term review of the players' collective bargaining agreement.

Player development managers to be exempt from spending cap

A number of other key matters were agreed upon as part of the review:

- If clubs spend less than the salary cap in one season they will be able to spend more than the cap the following season.

- The AFL has agreed to contribute an extra $7 million towards the existing AFL players’ player retirement fund.

- The AFL will provide $1 million over the next two years to be used for the establishment of a lifetime health care fund for retired players.

Click here to read the AFL's full statement on equalisation

- The provision of short-term income protection for players who are delisted due to a football injury.

"Negotiations were highly constructive and the review has enhanced the benefits available for both present and past AFL players," AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon said.

Equalisation changes explained

Acting players' association chief executive Ian Prendergast added: "We have been able to negotiate further benefits to players as we continue the push towards delivering a truly first-class sporting workplace."
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:34 am
Post subject: Re: Trade Period: The Age ranks us LASTReply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
The Age ranks us LAST in potential gain stakes in trade free agency period.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-free-agency-and-trade-period-rating-the-clubs-prospects-20141002-10pc58.html

How can there be rankings before the trading period has been completed? It is a nonsense article.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 am
Post subject: Re: Trade Period: The Age ranks us LASTReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
The Age ranks us LAST in potential gain stakes in trade free agency period.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-free-agency-and-trade-period-rating-the-clubs-prospects-20141002-10pc58.html

How can there be rankings before the trading period has been completed? It is a nonsense article.

Yep, just a fluff piece.

Clearly we'll be behind the other clubs. It appears we'll lose Beams who is (based on Brownlow voting) 1 of the top 10 players in the league, and Lumumba is is an AA and easily in our best 22. Who is losing more?
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Who the f@#$ rates a trade period before it even has started?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:45 pm

IF we get Dangerfield, this little prick author will have egg all over his moosh. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
IF we get Dangerfield, this little prick author will have egg all over his moosh. !

If we get Dangerfield this little author will have moosh all over his prick. Embarassed
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:00 pm

maybe try rearranging that sentence to keep it in the PG guidelines
Flashman 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

If we get Dangerfield this little author will have moosh all over his prick. Embarassed

I never got why you called yourself Rudeboy before but now I do.

Funny stuff Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: