Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Three champs of the two thousands

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm
Post subject: Three champs of the two thousandsReply with quote

Our Nathan together with Heard and Voss were great players in that decade
Voss was given a coaching job at WCE then reneged and went to Brisbane
Heard went on to coach the Bombers and stuffed up
Voss sacked and Golden boy sohhhhh close
We have the pick of the three I rekon

DT 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This time next year all 3 will be members of the sacked coaches club
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:31 pm

I've mentioned this before and it of course means that Essendon and Brisbane are a year in front of us (although Brisbane went and repeated the mistake with Leppitsch). Essendon in particular have been far smarter than us and will be in the frame for another flag sooner than we will be.
You're absolutely right DT, next year Buckley will join the list of great players that were hopeless coaches (Almost all of the greatest coaches were ordinary or 'satisfactory' players, not elite legends) and we will have thrown 2015 on the dungheap.
But who will we get? Who will be around? Roos maybe, but no one gets results at a third club, not even guys like Barrassi, Jeans, or Kennedy, (which at least means we don't have to worry about Carlton getting another flag soon)

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Gees 35 give it a rest
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 pm

35forever wrote:
I've mentioned this before and it of course means that Essendon and Brisbane are a year in front of us (although Brisbane went and repeated the mistake with Leppitsch). Essendon in particular have been far smarter than us and will be in the frame for another flag sooner than we will be.
You're absolutely right DT, next year Buckley will join the list of great players that were hopeless coaches (Almost all of the greatest coaches were ordinary or 'satisfactory' players, not elite legends) and we will have thrown 2015 on the dungheap.
But who will we get? Who will be around? Roos maybe, but no one gets results at a third club, not even guys like Barrassi, Jeans, or Kennedy, (which at least means we don't have to worry about Carlton getting another flag soon)

Wrong again.
So the following premiership coaches were themselves not good players?
How about you learn something about the playing careers of the following premiership coaches;
Jock McHale, Phonse Kyne, Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight, John Coleman, Jack Worrall, Checker Hughes, Ron Barassi, Charlie Sutton, Fred Hughson, Norm Smith, John Kennedy, Alex Jesaulenko, Bob Davis, Jack Dyer, Robert Walls, David Parkin, Perce Bentley, Reg Hickey, Dick Reynolds, Mark Williams, John Worsfold.
All were great players. We have Brownlow Medallists, Premiership captains, club captains, Team of the century players, hundred goal kickers, state reps, premiership players....they combined have 59 flags. Maybe Kevin Sheedy should be included - 250 games, state rep, club captain, 3 flags as a player (hardly a dud). That would bring it up to 63 flags coached by excellent players.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:32 pm

^^^^FACT!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 pm

oh god. someone make it stop.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:23 pm

35forever wrote:

Ummmmm, Malthouse couched Footscray and Weagles before us. We were his third club. Confused

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:49 am

sixpoints wrote:
35forever wrote:

Wrong again.
So the following premiership coaches were themselves not good players?
How about you learn something about the playing careers of the following premiership coaches;
Jock McHale, Phonse Kyne, Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight, John Coleman, Jack Worrall, Checker Hughes, Ron Barassi, Charlie Sutton, Fred Hughson, Norm Smith, John Kennedy, Alex Jesaulenko, Bob Davis, Jack Dyer, Robert Walls, David Parkin, Perce Bentley, Reg Hickey, Dick Reynolds, Mark Williams, John Worsfold.
All were great players. We have Brownlow Medallists, Premiership captains, club captains, Team of the century players, hundred goal kickers, state reps, premiership players....they combined have 59 flags. Maybe Kevin Sheedy should be included - 250 games, state rep, club captain, 3 flags as a player (hardly a dud). That would bring it up to 63 flags coached by excellent players.

Really? You must be kidding!
If you read what I've been writing all month you'd know my point about coaches has been that champion players don't go on to be great coaches at the same club they played at. I've also said half a dozen times that I'm talking about the modern game, or do you think I don't know who McHale, Kyne and Smith are???
Go back to your stats website and check again, the only player to break the mould was Woosher. You could count Roos but I don't see him as a champion player at Sydney, his best footy was at Fitzroy.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: