Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Free Universities.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
And so the suckers in society work hard at lesser jobs while those folk are getting educated on their taxes, so they can get a better job, earn more money, and look down their noses at em, yeah sounds fair. Bugger that, user pays, at least some of it!

The problem here of feeling looked down upon is fair enough in a certain respect because it can rightly reflect a form of discrimination.

We are all paranoid of being boxed in by dumb formulae, such as "she's educated and therefore more suited to the job", or "he's Asian so he won't be strong enough to lead the department", or "Westerners are lazy", or "she's overweight and therefore lacks self control and cannot be trusted".

On the other hand, the real productivity value of education is so biglike monstrousit cannot be ignored and must be encouraged if you want to build an advanced society. So let's deal with the discriminatory elements and make it free which in turn makes it even less prone to exclusivity. (Not to mention making the taxation system work properly at higher incomes would do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of disproportionately accrued benefit).

What's the bet if it were free a lot of people such as yourself would give it a shot in one or another form? That would be a win-win for everyone; no need to oppose it out of bitterness as we all gain.

People such as me?

Edited, not worth it,

My two kids are at UNi, with HECS bills. We can afford to pay it for them, but have no intention of handing them life on a platter. That does no one any favours. I've seen plenty of spoon fed kids, and guess what, they are all lazy bastards. Their private education was paid for with no reservations at all, and no regrets, it was worth every cent, but they want more, they can earn it. I don't look down on anyone, and I don't let people look down on me. You think knowing big words makes you a better person? You think going to school for another 4-10 to study history or painting makes someone a better person than me, more deserving? You can stick your "more advanced" society where the sun don't shine. I'll settle for one where people are kind to each other. Kind to animals and kind to the world we live in. Education is worth nothing if you don't have world experience and people skills. Education is nothing if your not happy. And I gotta tell ya, from the condescending, pompous posts I read on here so often from many of the so called educated "class" there's a lot of unhappy people out there using big words. We don't need more chiefs out there with no hands on skills, but plenty of stupid unworkable ideas, we need the folks out there learning on the job the best way to get things done, we need them to get the recognition they deserve. And we need the lazy bastards hiding behind school books forever and a day to get there hands dirty.

Nothing is free. Everything has a price, and somebody pays.

You want to make something free? Make it health care. The rest, you earn.

So are you paying the HECS fees or they will with there future earnings?

I'm confused.

HECS don't have to be paid off until a person reaches a certain level of salary isn't that correct?

If so then I'm not certain how many people actually put off going to university because of HECS and think that far into the future when there just 18.

More importantly what percentage of people end up actually paying all of it back throughout there life.

I'd imagine a lot of women might end up putting the importance of raising there children ahead of a full time career while many other men and women mightn't reach the minimum threshold of salary required to start paying it off or only do so for periods of there life.

As long as people can earn a degree without having to pay as they go then I don't think changing the system to make it free is really required if it was to be done purely to increase university participation.

A lot of people have no interest in going to university, some haven't been afforded the opportunity in life to gain the smarts to be accepted into one and would prefer to enter the workforce upon leaving school, go to tafe or take up an apprenticeship as they enjoy doing more hands on type of work.

Personally I'd rather seen apprentices be awarded fairer wages by government funding rather than free university education.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:54 am

^I doubt anybody would argue with that, but you have to put numbers on your "feelings" about these things. It's the high-productivity jobs that make much of our social wealth possible, including government-supported traineeships, so we have to keep pumping candidates for such jobs out, not deterring candidates or defending our own backgrounds just because that's what we know.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:09 am

swoop42 wrote:
think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
And so the suckers in society work hard at lesser jobs while those folk are getting educated on their taxes, so they can get a better job, earn more money, and look down their noses at em, yeah sounds fair. Bugger that, user pays, at least some of it!

The problem here of feeling looked down upon is fair enough in a certain respect because it can rightly reflect a form of discrimination.

We are all paranoid of being boxed in by dumb formulae, such as "she's educated and therefore more suited to the job", or "he's Asian so he won't be strong enough to lead the department", or "Westerners are lazy", or "she's overweight and therefore lacks self control and cannot be trusted".

On the other hand, the real productivity value of education is so biglike monstrousit cannot be ignored and must be encouraged if you want to build an advanced society. So let's deal with the discriminatory elements and make it free which in turn makes it even less prone to exclusivity. (Not to mention making the taxation system work properly at higher incomes would do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of disproportionately accrued benefit).

What's the bet if it were free a lot of people such as yourself would give it a shot in one or another form? That would be a win-win for everyone; no need to oppose it out of bitterness as we all gain.

People such as me?

Edited, not worth it,

My two kids are at UNi, with HECS bills. We can afford to pay it for them, but have no intention of handing them life on a platter. That does no one any favours. I've seen plenty of spoon fed kids, and guess what, they are all lazy bastards. Their private education was paid for with no reservations at all, and no regrets, it was worth every cent, but they want more, they can earn it. I don't look down on anyone, and I don't let people look down on me. You think knowing big words makes you a better person? You think going to school for another 4-10 to study history or painting makes someone a better person than me, more deserving? You can stick your "more advanced" society where the sun don't shine. I'll settle for one where people are kind to each other. Kind to animals and kind to the world we live in. Education is worth nothing if you don't have world experience and people skills. Education is nothing if your not happy. And I gotta tell ya, from the condescending, pompous posts I read on here so often from many of the so called educated "class" there's a lot of unhappy people out there using big words. We don't need more chiefs out there with no hands on skills, but plenty of stupid unworkable ideas, we need the folks out there learning on the job the best way to get things done, we need them to get the recognition they deserve. And we need the lazy bastards hiding behind school books forever and a day to get there hands dirty.

Nothing is free. Everything has a price, and somebody pays.

You want to make something free? Make it health care. The rest, you earn.

So are you paying the HECS fees or they will with there future earnings?

I'm confused.

HECS don't have to be paid off until a person reaches a certain level of salary isn't that correct?

If so then I'm not certain how many people actually put off going to university because of HECS and think that far into the future when there just 18.

More importantly what percentage of people end up actually paying all of it back throughout there life.

I'd imagine a lot of women might end up putting the importance of raising there children ahead of a full time career while many other men and women mightn't reach the minimum threshold of salary required to start paying it off or only do so for periods of there life.

As long as people can earn a degree without having to pay as they go then I don't think changing the system to make it free is really required if it was to be done purely to increase university participation.

A lot of people have no interest in going to university, some haven't been afforded the opportunity in life to gain the smarts to be accepted into one and would prefer to enter the workforce upon leaving school, go to tafe or take up an apprenticeship as they enjoy doing more hands on type of work.

Personally I'd rather seen apprentices be awarded fairer wages by government funding rather than free university education.

They have HECS bills. I buy the books, and pay the little bills along the way, plus 1/2 petrol, parking for vic UNi, and Myki for RMIT. And yes, HECS kicks in at $50,000. So I'm sure more than a few drops out may never pay it off.

Agree with your post 100%. We need apprenticeships, and trainee ships, there is a shortage of tradesmen in this country. And it will get worse with the demise of the big car industries. When I started at GMH there was only a dozen or so of us mechanics, and there was about 20-30 fitter and turners. It's ok to have a lot of bosses, but someone needs to build and repair things.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:13 am

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
OMFG imagine if those educated manicured gents knew that the reason their car makes that god awful noise when they do a u turn is either their power steering pump dying, or their fan belt about to snap (you should get that checked out by the way).

Yes everyone should be educated. But, but but, everyone should also know the value, and pain of hard work! Any kind of work!

Oh and by the way, Tonys statement today about the Burka? Love it!

Oh how ignorant am I!

So tell me who is banning puppy farms, cos that's who this unwashed (actually Melbourne water would love me if that was true) will be voting for! Cheers

And by the way, of I had time. I'd go back a couple of years, I distinctly remember in my fuddled under worked brain, your thinking the holocaust was over rated!

I don't understand why you think a tertiary education would stop someone from getting a job as a car mechanic, or prevent them from at least taking a casual interest in how cars work. I mean, it's not my bag, but clearly there are heaps of people out there who are passionate about this stuff.

Neither does an education preclude someone from knowing about hard work. Indeed, many highly qualified jobs are hard work (unless you just mean manual labour, in which case, see my first paragraph).

By the way, before you complain that this is all just something tertiary-educated people go on about to make themselves feel superior, do you know what my highest educational qualification is right now? It's a Year 12 Certificate. But I do think finishing a decent degree will improve my skills in at least one field, and I think it'd do the same for you. And it'd do the same for the rest of the country. Why is that such a contentious thing to say? And who in their right minds wouldn't want a better-educated, more highly skilled populace?

David you've been a school to long. I can't believe at your age your proud of all your university non finishes. And for me, it's why I can't take you seriously on this subject. I don't want my taxes paying for you to "enjoy" yourself getting an education. You can do that in your spare time. Right now get a real job to support your almost family. Do you have any idea how much it costs to raise a baby?

About five times longer if he gets a low-productivity, shithouse job?

So unless you have a university degree, that's all you can get hey?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:22 am

David wrote:
What do you classify as a "real" job? Who said I was proud? And what makes tertiary education more "enjoyable" than working?

I find my artificial/non-real/surreal job much easier and less stressful than studying.

Sorry. I really am sorry I was over the top and out of line.

Surely with the study you have done you could get a job at a paper, or an editing firm, work your way up, start using your education. And I did not mean to degenerate your job, more that it's part time to accommodate UNI. You have a baby coming very shortly, and I don't think you have begun to understand the bills that come with them! Call me old fashion, I probably am, I'm old enough to be, but I just think when kids come along, it's time to start living, and put the learning on hold, or do as my Dad did, and go to night school.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:37 am

think positive wrote:

You want to give free education to doctors and surgeons (except cosmetic) fair enough. Medical studies, finding a cure for cancer, environmental science, but going to school to learn about history, make a mint sueing people (ps I have nothing against lawyers, but maybe not ever needing one has prevented me from being jaded) or doing a companies accounts, working out where Michelangelo had his first root, then no, not free. Things that physically assist society, fair enough, but all that other stuff, no.

And not making it about me? What was that line then? I'm not particularly sensitive, I can take a barrel of shit, but don't call me dumb, and you may not realise it with your condescending way of thinking but that's exactly how it reads. And I say with no malice intended, but I've often thought from your posts, which I'm sure you think are old chap funny, your a $$%^%%$ snob!

You must have forgotten many treatments for Cancer include Cosmetic Surgeries such as for example Breast augmentation.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 am

David wrote:
Whenever this argument arises, I think back to the results of the last election. The voters who were successfully convinced that our national debt was at crisis levels, because they hadn't studied economics. The voters who thought the carbon tax was a waste of time because they thought the jury was still out on anthropogenic climate change. The people who thought there was a link between refugee intake and imminent Sharia Law in Australia.

I'm not saying that such people contributed the total Liberal vote at the last election. But there were certainly quite a few of them, and we know that because it's how those issues were pitched: three-word slogans; alarmist language; complete lack of any meaningful policy agenda. And it worked, spectacularly.

Can you imagine if our leaders at the last election were speaking to a well-educated populace? One in which 20% had studied economics at some level and the rest had the literacy, critical reasoning skills and general knowledge to have been able to digest some of the basics? One in which similar figures knew enough about tech to know which party had the better broadband plan and why it mattered? Can you imagine a prime minister and opposition leader actually debating competing, well-thought-through visions for the country's future without having to worry about whether the country's most widely-read newspaper would depict them in a Nazi uniform the next morning over some triviality?

It's a fantasy, I know. But is it such an unattainable one? For me, the key difference between that ideal and what we have now is simple: education. Not just tertiary, of coursebut you can't just leave it out as an optional extra. The sooner we start seeing education as not a privilege but a necessity, the better off we'll be as a country.

Both Economics and science are/were high school subjects too you know. You are drawing a massive gulf there between secondary and tertiary education which doesn't actually exist.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 am

Again, for the ten millionth time, it's not about how you "feel" about these things, TP, or even your personal experience of them.

Have a go at separating your person self from the facts about the world for five minutes.

There are known meta facts in the world that exist whether it offends you or not. Such meta facts might take a form like the following:

* People with Personality Type X are more suited to jobs like Type Y at companies like Type Z.

* People with Personality Type X report being happier and more satisfied when they are employed in Type Y careers.

* Overall, people who graduate with a bachelor's degree earn X% more over their lifetime than those who don't.

* Overall, people who graduate with a master's degree earn Y% more over their lifetime than those who don't.

* Overall, people who graduate with a bachelor's degree are X% more satisfied with their careers than those who don't.

* Overall, the workforce is creating low-end service jobs at a rate X Times faster than high-paying jobs.

* Overall, W Percent of jobs with annual salaries over X currently require an average of Y Years of tertiary education and are expected to require an average of Z Years of tertiary education by 2020.

* Overall, the fastest growing in jobs with annual salaries over Y are in A, B, C and D fields.

Etc.

Until you know what those sort of parameters are, especially pertaining to David and his particular personality, skill set and ambitions, your own highly specific experience may have very little relevance to his own career path.

Despite airing his laundry more than the rest of us and thus appearing less certain about who he is, my guess is David is much more aware of these things than he lets on.

Let's also not forget his achievements: Very few young people have a better writing folio at his ageand indeed have kept at it despite the pasting he has copped. There is great merit in this for a public communicator. Not to mention he's quite the film expert already, and has an excellent grasp of grammar and composition.

This will translate in the knowledge economy in one or another form if he keeps excelling at it.

Last edited by pietillidie on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 am

1061 wrote:
think positive wrote:

You want to give free education to doctors and surgeons (except cosmetic) fair enough. Medical studies, finding a cure for cancer, environmental science, but going to school to learn about history, make a mint sueing people (ps I have nothing against lawyers, but maybe not ever needing one has prevented me from being jaded) or doing a companies accounts, working out where Michelangelo had his first root, then no, not free. Things that physically assist society, fair enough, but all that other stuff, no.

And not making it about me? What was that line then? I'm not particularly sensitive, I can take a barrel of shit, but don't call me dumb, and you may not realise it with your condescending way of thinking but that's exactly how it reads. And I say with no malice intended, but I've often thought from your posts, which I'm sure you think are old chap funny, your a $$%^%%$ snob!

You must have forgotten many treatments for Cancer include Cosmetic Surgeries such as for example Breast augmentation.

Actually no, and I was going to change it. But I figured people would know that I meant electives such as boob jobs, nose jobs, and lipo ala page three girls and boys. But since we are being so liberal with the tax dollar, hey chuck them in too. Maybe they will drop their fees?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 am

think positive wrote:

They have HECS bills. I buy the books, and pay the little bills along the way, plus 1/2 petrol, parking for vic UNi, and Myki for RMIT. And yes, HECS kicks in at $50,000. So I'm sure more than a few drops out may never pay it off.

The average wage is well over $50,000 so that Hecs trigger should probably be lifted to $80,00 or there abouts to make it fairer to the "drop outs".

think positive wrote:

Actually no, and I was going to change it. But I figured people would know that I meant electives such as boob jobs, nose jobs, and lipo ala page three girls and boys. But since we are being so liberal with the tax dollar, hey chuck them in too. Maybe they will drop their fees?

So after reading that reply I'd like to think you agree with a change to Medicare so Medicare should be paying for sometimes life saving Sex Change Surgeries as well considering these procedures are not elective for those who require such serious surgery.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:04 am

TP, there's an interesting issue underlying that distinction about where the line should be drawn and why it should be drawn there. No one I know has ever had, or had any interest in, cosmetic surgery but I'm not sure why a person who is miserable about their nose simpliciter is less deserving of public support than someone who has a medical condition that, as a side issue, makes them miserable about their nose?

That same distinction seems to pervade the debate about what education "should" be publicly funded. Knowledge and understanding isn't any less important because it doesn't cure a disease. In fact, I take the view that the most support should be given to funding educational pursuits that don't have any directly apparent economic object, since the ones that do are typically supported by people and organizations that need to employ people who know about such things.

To take a trivial example: our market economy requires lawyers to perform certain functions and market participants will pay substantial sums of money to lawyers to perform those functions because the participants value them. The most lucrative area of practice is, of course, commercial law. But we don't just want our education system to be producing commercial lawyers. Indeed, we don't want the education system just to be producing lawyers with a trade certificate enabling them to practice. The most important role of public funding in such areas is to ensure that the less apparently "useful" pursuits are encouraged and supported. Thus, we need to educate people to understand and analyse the legal system and legal matters more generally, not merely to work within it. Of course, for the few of us who make squillions as commercial lawyers the cost of our "free" education is repaid through the tax system (at least for those of us who think we should pay tax). It's the other pursuits that don't necessarily lead to highly-paid outcomes - but are every bit as important - that need public support.

Thus, in my universe, I am as happy to fund people who study media or film or history (as an aside, what's wrong with the world that we consider the study of the past as some sort of optional extra?) as I am to fund engineeringy, sciencey, medical research sorts of things. Probably more so, since the latter group will always tend to find a funding source.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:47 am

1061 wrote:
think positive wrote:

The average wage is well over $50,000 so that Hecs trigger should probably be lifted to $80,00 or there abouts to make it fairer to the "drop outs".

think positive wrote:

So after reading that reply I'd like to think you agree with a change to Medicare so Medicare should be paying for sometimes life saving Sex Change Surgeries as well considering these procedures are not elective for those who require such serious surgery.

well the first made me laugh!!

and yes absolutely. if your born in the wrong body, yes of course it should be covered. I cant imagine the anxiety and depression that goes along with such a thing. Just as depression is a mental illness, ive heard the horror stories about desperation to the point of taking a knife to yourself. absolutely, its life saving.

I really think you see me all wrong. I believe in rights for everyone, and I don't judge people. the problem I think you see with me, is because I try to treat everyone equally, I dont think that the minority should get more rights than the majority.

I did judge people when I was younger, and then I went through seeing my mum so altered by a brain tumour, as to appear drunk, or on drugs. I now look at people completely differently.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
TP, there's an interesting issue underlying that distinction about where the line should be drawn and why it should be drawn there. No one I know has ever had, or had any interest in, cosmetic surgery but I'm not sure why a person who is miserable about their nose simpliciter is less deserving of public support than someone who has a medical condition that, as a side issue, makes them miserable about their nose?

That same distinction seems to pervade the debate about what education "should" be publicly funded. Knowledge and understanding isn't any less important because it doesn't cure a disease. In fact, I take the view that the most support should be given to funding educational pursuits that don't have any directly apparent economic object, since the ones that do are typically supported by people and organizations that need to employ people who know about such things.

To take a trivial example: our market economy requires lawyers to perform certain functions and market participants will pay substantial sums of money to lawyers to perform those functions because the participants value them. The most lucrative area of practice is, of course, commercial law. But we don't just want our education system to be producing commercial lawyers. Indeed, we don't want the education system just to be producing lawyers with a trade certificate enabling them to practice. The most important role of public funding in such areas is to ensure that the less apparently "useful" pursuits are encouraged and supported. Thus, we need to educate people to understand and analyse the legal system and legal matters more generally, not merely to work within it. Of course, for the few of us who make squillions as commercial lawyers the cost of our "free" education is repaid through the tax system (at least for those of us who think we should pay tax). It's the other pursuits that don't necessarily lead to highly-paid outcomes - but are every bit as important - that need public support.

Thus, in my universe, I am as happy to fund people who study media or film or history (as an aside, what's wrong with the world that we consider the study of the past as some sort of optional extra?) as I am to fund engineeringy, sciencey, medical research sorts of things. Probably more so, since the latter group will always tend to find a funding source.

cool ill send you my daughters HECS bills Wink

and I hate my thighs!! they have brought me to tears in the past!! can we stick Lipo on there? Laughing

jokes aside, I get where your coming from, ok let the plastic surgeons have it too. and pro bono lawyers. Twisted Evil dont forget we are funding UNI degrees anyway. HECS bills are a part payment, and an interest free loan. I think its a pretty good deal.
media film art, no, nup, not at all. especially in this country, we make for the most part, crap movies Shocked

give me Arnie any day

hasta lavista baby!

Last edited by think positive on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:00 am

pietillidie wrote:
YADA YADA YADA.

and who will pay to raise the baby?

I actually get along well with David. even though we have vastly different views on life. its all well and good you carping on with the above crap, looks great on paper, but its not real life.

and as for OVERALL, I honestly don't give a rats arse. im an emotional person (wow theres a surprise) and im also a very equal opportunity person. and nothing shits me more than so called brainiacs using big words to put the little people down.

why is it not about how I feel? lets not forget, this is called the Tavern, where the opinions of bogans are just as acceptable as the office toff!

we are all equal when we come into this world, and we all go out the same way. dead.

now excuse me while I head off to WORK!

Last edited by think positive on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 am

So women are getting an education? WTF?

If we chose the Afghanistan model of education funding we could save heaps.

Then again if we chose the Afghani model of women in Cabinet in Federal Government we would need an increase of 300%.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: