Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Free Universities.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
Unfortunately, TP, as demonstrated in the past your reactionary black and white arguments on this make no sense at all because we've already established you're not going to pay for even 500 yards of freeway.

Well I missed your edit (see the original quoted above!) because my iPads wifi was a bit slow.

So I will answer. I have black and white blood, and that's how I see everything! Side by side. Sharing and not I'm better than you, or wow I'm in awe of you.

And you may think you've established that, but my tax man will tell you different!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:19 am

pietillidie wrote:
For some bizarre reason you think I'm suggesting you need an education;

Just a stab in the dark but suggesting that " people such as yourself would give it a shot..." might have given that impression Rolling Eyes

Whether you actually believe it or whether it is an inability to articulate your argument you seem to totally negate the benefits of education acquired through on the job training - or do you not consider that education?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:19 am

Well, it's your shout next then!

Just remember that I view education for humans much like coaching and practice for a golfer; it's something we do as a species.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 am

Whenever this argument arises, I think back to the results of the last election. The voters who were successfully convinced that our national debt was at crisis levels, because they hadn't studied economics. The voters who thought the carbon tax was a waste of time because they thought the jury was still out on anthropogenic climate change. The people who thought there was a link between refugee intake and imminent Sharia Law in Australia.

I'm not saying that such people contributed the total Liberal vote at the last election. But there were certainly quite a few of them, and we know that because it's how those issues were pitched: three-word slogans; alarmist language; complete lack of any meaningful policy agenda. And it worked, spectacularly.

Can you imagine if our leaders at the last election were speaking to a well-educated populace? One in which 20% had studied economics at some level and the rest had the literacy, critical reasoning skills and general knowledge to have been able to digest some of the basics? One in which similar figures knew enough about tech to know which party had the better broadband plan and why it mattered? Can you imagine a prime minister and opposition leader actually debating competing, well-thought-through visions for the country's future without having to worry about whether the country's most widely-read newspaper would depict them in a Nazi uniform the next morning over some triviality?

It's a fantasy, I know. But is it such an unattainable one? For me, the key difference between that ideal and what we have now is simple: education. Not just tertiary, of coursebut you can't just leave it out as an optional extra. The sooner we start seeing education as not a privilege but a necessity, the better off we'll be as a country.

Last edited by David on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am

Morrigu wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
For some bizarre reason you think I'm suggesting you need an education;

Just a stab in the dark but suggesting that " people such as yourself would give it a shot..." might have given that impression Rolling Eyes

Whether you actually believe it or whether it is an inability to articulate your argument you seem to totally negate the benefits of education acquired through on the job training - or do you not consider that education?

You're preaching to the choir; I actually view it as a central innate cognitive function. You can't "not learn" if you try, but you most certainly can learn more and less intensively, like any physical activity.

The bizarre thing is I self learn and haven't study formally for ages. It is now officially too ridiculously expensive to do so in Australia, hence the bleeding topic, yet I keep being pegged as the great defender of traditional education. My philosphy is this: You either know stuff or you don't; I couldn't give a stuff how, when or where you learned it.

This topic sure does rouse paranoia, which I assume is due to historical discrimination, now made worse by Two Tier Tony's efforts to associate access to education with wealth.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:31 am

David wrote:
Whenever this argument arises, I think back to the results of the last election. The voters who were successfully convinced that our national debt was at crisis levels, because they hadn't studied economics. The voters who thought the carbon tax was a waste of time because they thought the jury was still out on anthropogenic climate change. The people who thought there was a link between refugee intake and imminent Sharia Law in Australia.

I'm not saying that such people contributed the total Liberal vote at the last election. But there were certainly quite a few of them, and we know that because it's how those issues were pitched: three-word slogans; alarmist language; complete lack of any meaningful policy agenda.

Can you imagine if our leaders at the last election were speaking to a well-educated populace? One in which 20% had studied economics at some level and the rest had the literacy, critical reasoning skills and general knowledge to have been able to digest some of the basics? One in which similar figures knew enough about tech to know which party had the better broadband plan and why it mattered? Can you imagine a prime minister and opposition leader actually debating competing, well-thought-through visions for the country's future without having to worry about whether the country's most widely-read newspaper would depict them in a Nazi uniform the next morning over some triviality?

It's a fantasy, I know. But is it such an unattainable one? For me, the key difference between that ideal and what we have now is simple: education. Not just tertiary, of course, but it's a crucial part of that. The sooner we stop seeing education as not a privilege but a necessity, the better we'll be as a country.

OMFG imagine if those educated manicured gents knew that the reason their car makes that god awful noise when they do a u turn is either their power steering pump dying, or their fan belt about to snap (you should get that checked out by the way).

Yes everyone should be educated. But, but but, everyone should also know the value, and pain of hard work! Any kind of work!

Oh and by the way, Tonys statement today about the Burka? Love it!

Oh how ignorant am I!

So tell me who is banning puppy farms, cos that's who this unwashed (actually Melbourne water would love me if that was true) will be voting for! Cheers

And by the way, of I had time. I'd go back a couple of years, I distinctly remember in my fuddled under worked brain, your thinking the holocaust was over rated!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:38 am

Well David I couldn't give a rats about any of that - I'm voting for whoever vows to stop live animal exports, stop imports of ivory and ban trade with those that allow it, actually do something that will contribute to preserving the environments for the wildlife of this planet.

See what is important to you and others is totally irrelevant to those who have alternate views on what is important.

Oh and I hate to tell you I am very well educated - so education does not always work the way you think it will Wink Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:45 am

Morrigu wrote:
Well David I couldn't give a rats about any of that - I'm voting for whoever vows to stop live animal exports, stop imports of ivory and ban trade with those that allow it, actually do something that will contribute to preserving the environments for the wildlife of this planet.

See what is important to you and others is totally irrelevant to those who have alternate views on what is important.

Oh and I hate to tell you I am very well educated - so education does not always work the way you think it will Wink Razz

This had me cheering out loud!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:54 am

think positive wrote:
OMFG imagine if those educated manicured gents knew that the reason their car makes that god awful noise when they do a u turn is either their power steering pump dying, or their fan belt about to snap (you should get that checked out by the way).

Yes everyone should be educated. But, but but, everyone should also know the value, and pain of hard work! Any kind of work!

Oh how ignorant am I!

So tell me who is banning puppy farms, cos that's who this unwashed (actually Melbourne water would love me if that was true) will be voting for! Cheers

And by the way, of I had time. I'd go back a couple of years, I distinctly remember in my fuddled under worked brain, your thinking the holocaust was over rated!

I don't understand why you think a tertiary education would stop someone from getting a job as a car mechanic, or prevent them from at least taking a casual interest in how cars work. I mean, it's not my bag, but clearly there are heaps of people out there who are passionate about this stuff.

Neither does an education preclude someone from knowing about hard work. Indeed, many highly qualified jobs are hard work (unless you just mean manual labour, in which case, see my first paragraph).

By the way, before you complain that this is all just something tertiary-educated people go on about to make themselves feel superior, do you know what my highest educational qualification is right now? It's a Year 12 Certificate. But I do think finishing a decent degree will improve my skills in at least one field, and I think it'd do the same for you. And it'd do the same for the rest of the country. Why is that such a contentious thing to say? And who in their right minds wouldn't want a better-educated, more highly skilled populace?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:59 am

Morrigu wrote:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_welfare_in_Nazi_Germany

Be careful what you wish for! Wink

Last edited by David on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 am

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Apparently Hitler was into animal rights. Be careful what you wish for! Wink

And there you go, you just debunked your whole theory about your education being so important.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 am

How so? And see my edit!

All I'm saying is, be wary of voting according to single issues. And in case anyone's looking for Godwin, he's stepped out for a bit. Wink

Last edited by David on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Oh how ignorant am I!

I don't understand why you think a tertiary education would stop someone from getting a job as a car mechanic, or prevent them from at least taking a casual interest in how cars work. I mean, it's not my bag, but clearly there are heaps of people out there who are passionate about this stuff.

Neither does an education preclude someone from knowing about hard work. Indeed, many highly qualified jobs are hard work (unless you just mean manual labour, in which case, see my first paragraph).

By the way, before you complain that this is all just something tertiary-educated people go on about to make themselves feel superior, do you know what my highest educational qualification is right now? It's a Year 12 Certificate. But I do think finishing a decent degree will improve my skills in at least one field, and I think it'd do the same for you. And it'd do the same for the rest of the country. Why is that such a contentious thing to say? And who in their right minds wouldn't want a better-educated, more highly skilled populace?

David you've been a school to long. I can't believe at your age your proud of all your university non finishes. And for me, it's why I can't take you seriously on this subject. I don't want my taxes paying for you to "enjoy" yourself getting an education. You can do that in your spare time. Right now get a real job to support your almost family. Do you have any idea how much it costs to raise a baby?

Last edited by think positive on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:09 am

What do you classify as a "real" job? Who said I was proud? And what makes tertiary education more "enjoyable" than working?

I find my artificial/non-real/surreal job much easier and less stressful than studying.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:38 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Oh how ignorant am I!

David you've been a school to long. I can't believe at your age your proud of all your university non finishes. And for me, it's why I can't take you seriously on this subject. I don't want my taxes paying for you to "enjoy" yourself getting an education. You can do that in your spare time. Right now get a real job to support your almost family. Do you have any idea how much it costs to raise a baby?

About five times longer if he gets a low-productivity, shithouse job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: