Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The List Manager on Trade Radio

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 am
Post subject: The List Manager on Trade RadioReply with quote

Yesterday on Trade Radio, Terry Wallace and Damien Barrett spent quite a lot of time examining Collingwood. Plow (Wallace) basically said that he thought his prediction that Collingwood would fall before we could rise, was pretty well on the mark. Yep he was correct there. At this time last year Wallace in his List Manager Role gave Collingwood a bare pass but suggested the future was very bright. 2015 and beyond would be looking terrific for Collingwood. He wasn't alone, many other footy experts were saying the same thing. From memory, I think Mike Sheehan was the only person who wasn't so bullish on Collingwood's list.

One year on and Wallace has changed his tune. Yesterday he made the following points:

•Nathan Buckley is going to have a very difficult 18 months
•Players have left the club and they don't have the experience any more
•They enter season 2015 with Beams and Lumumba gone and Macaffer and Sharenberg out for the year.
•Its going to be a difficult time. They were brave to move senior players on but buying time at footy clubs is difficult especially at Collingwood.
•Broomhead, Langdon, Grundy, Kennedy, Sharenberg, Freeman, Adams: we really don't know where these players are. Potentially they could all be very good footy players but they may not be.
•Then we look at the second group: Witts, Fasolo, Karnezis, Williams and Seedsman. These players are in their early 20s and may well be good players but we don't know if they are going to be the next group of young stars. That's 12 players who are potentially really good players but we don't know if these blokes will develop.
•Then we look at the holes in the list: Reid, where does he play? Can they get him right? Is he forward or back? I see him as a back. Buckley says 'we have to get him right and work out the strategy for him.'
•Key positions: Frost is a really nice player 2nd or 3rd tall rather than number one. Brown and Keeffe we don't know if Brown's body will hold up. Keeffe is up and down. His ability to defend is OK but his ability to make decisions when he has the ball is shaky. Out of that lot, if Reid is not there the back line looks too shaky.
Forwards: Will White make it? Lynch is gone. They tried to get Clark so they know it's an issue with only Cloke the big tall.
•Swanny's just about cooked. He's been a star of the game, but he's just about cooked. He'll still kick goals and he's too good to fall right off the pace but he is no longer a target for opposition clubs. Clubs go after Pendlebury and now with Beams gone, they'll target Sidebottom. Sidey took big steps forward this year, but there is an enormous hole in the midfield when Sidey is targeted and with Beams, Ball & Lumumba gone. They can only replace these guys with kids and kids, (Adams, Kennedy) are up and down.
•Rucks: Witts and Grundy are babies and Clark was going to help here.
Now it is precarious about where they sit and the pressure is right on Nathan Buckley.
•Drafting: with pick 4 they need to on-trade for a senior player as they did with Jolly and Ball. Someone in the same age bracket as Sidebottom. This won't be easy to achieve. They need to fast track the youngsters but to do this you need a good skeleton, good support. They can't lose experience and then keep drafting kids because it will set them back and take even longer - this is what Melbourne did.
•Future: 2016 is the year I think the talent will blossom but they need bigger bodies like Karnezis. They are light on for size. They'll come out the other side, but it won't be 2015.
•Barrett suggests Collingwood doesn't have a lot of salary cap room. Three players taking a huge chunk: Pendles, Swan and Cloke.
Plow:The problem is they have recruited tiny blokes to help Cloke. Blair was already there and then they brought in Elliott and Kennedy types. They need size. Midfield size and key position size.
Barrett: Pert and Buckley were very bullish until mid 2014. Buckley even went so far on AFL 360 after the Queen's Birthday round, to suggest Collingwood not be dismissed in premiership calculations. Then the whole thing blew up.
Plow: Buckley has confidence in his young players to do the job, but he is more confident than I am. The big question is this, can the Collingwood faithful stick fat?
**I recorded the segment and much of the above is direct quote. Some has been summarised for brevity.

I don't disagree with much of this analysis, but I think a lot of experts are forgetting that Collingwood finished one game out of the eight and were in the eight all year until the final round. This despite the worst injury run in recent memory.

I don't believe the picture is as bad as it's being painted and that goes for many posters here in Nick's. I do think that 2015 will be the year that the coaching panel really starts to earn its money. They need to fast-track the young talent and bring in some experience before the preseason begins. This draft is the most important for years; we've gotta get it spot on.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so doom and gloom. Get the fitness and injury right and we are competitive. Beams will be a loss but pick 4 and a player may go some way to covering that loss.

Any chance we can get Mitchell out of Sydney in a 3 way trade with Brisbane?

Museman 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:54 am

It wasn't doom and gloom, it was honest...what we tried didn't work.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:04 am

thanks for taking the time to do the write up.

there is a lot to be apprehensive about and we are at the tipping point. we have a lot of players who show they have the talent and ability but need to cement their place in the team. the beams situation has certainly put a spanner in the works. we need to try to replace like for like if we are to be anywhere near the leading pack in the next two to three years. an untried youngster only serves to strenghten us in the long term.

i'd like to see jt take the next step, broomy and kenno to get more game time. seedsman still has a bit to do to enjoy a good level of consistency and has the toolkit to have a breakout year. sinclair looks like he will take the next step and become the line breaker we need (along with seedsman). karnezsis is an unknown quantity at this point and has been earmarked to be a midfielder at some point. with a solid preseason and we should look forward to seeing him get senior games.

i am quite bullish about our prospects in the coming years and think we will have done well to make finals next year.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 am

I was talking about their 2015 predictions
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks for the write up Neil.

No real surprises in that. Pies are a club on the edge, a few things go right for us in 2015 and we'll rebound. Got a few kids who are getting to that 50 game mark and should start to show more consistency. Balance that with an over reliance in the development of the kids and it'll be an exciting ride.

Happy to go into 2015 as the complete underdog, bring it on!
Wilko 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am

I really don't know how 2015 will play out
I don't think anyone really knows too many pieces of the jigsaw puzzle
The club really needs to work overtime developing a strong culture again
and I feel that the players need to drive that
And frankly if you don't want to be at the club and work hard for good coin then &@&@ off
I think we are still seeing the washout from the 2013 Port final..
This is one massive job
Life's never boring been a pies supporter

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 am

Great write up
Still I would go with more high end draft picks
rather than give good picks for a ready made player.
I think we may get a first and second round pick for beams.
We may get pick 22 for harry.
This would give us 5 picks inside pick 30.
Build a very good team around this with our rebuild efforts
in 2012 and 2103.

Museman 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:51 am

thompsoc wrote:
Great write up
in 2012 and 2103.

Would mean we are 5-6 years from being a genuine threat given age profiles, and when we become that threat GWS and to a lesser extent GCS would be in their prime.....
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 am

Museman wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Great write up
in 2012 and 2103.

Would mean we are 5-6 years from being a genuine threat given age profiles, and when we become that threat GWS and to a lesser extent GCS would be in their prime.....

Can't see us winning the flag with a couple of top up players.
Winning a flag is the only thing that matters.
So, if it is 5 years then so be it!
Maybe worth trading cloke for melbourne's pick 2 and 3.
That would give us 4 picks inside pick 10
Be ruthless!
Cloke will be 28 next season - how long is his body going
to last given the battering he takes?

Museman 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:04 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Museman wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Great write up
in 2012 and 2103.

It's depressing.

I would have thought if we could add a few quality players in the pendles age group over the next 2 years we could bring our window forward.

I'm happy with our youth at present, and if we were to add 5 top 30 picks this year we could build an amazing group.......COULD!

But it means waiting...and sometimes things you are waiting for never arrive.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Museman wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Great write up
in 2012 and 2103.

Agree, unless you're bringing in top end quality, benefit of top up players is marginal over development of the kids. You aren't going to get a Beams clone to replace Beams so a kid who has had a few years in the system and could be on the cusp of breaking out (O'Rourke ??) appears the best option.

Disagree on the 5-6 year time frame, think we'll be pushing for the 8 in 2015, and a lot more competitive 2016 and beyond.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:08 pm

jackcass wrote:
Thanks for the write up Neil.

No real surprises in that. Pies are a club on the edge, a few things go right for us in 2015 and we'll rebound. Got a few kids who are getting to that 50 game mark and should start to show more consistency. Balance that with an over reliance in the development of the kids and it'll be an exciting ride.

Happy to go into 2015 as the complete underdog, bring it on!

I have stated over the past two years that we will see our best results in 2016. This stuff only reinforces my stated views.

Thanks for summarising that Neil. The best at Collingwood is yet to come and I see this as being in a very good position as a club and Collingwood supporter
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:29 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Museman wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Great write up
in 2012 and 2103.

Maybe worth trading cloke for melbourne's pick 2 and 3.
That would give us 4 picks inside pick 10
Be ruthless!
Cloke will be 28 next season - how long is his body going
to last given the battering he takes?

Given where we are at it's not so crazy. But.....what about the need for leadership to the likes of Moore.

We could trade out cloke, lose more experience and leadership for our young forwards and pick up a pick 1 or 2 and they end up being a dud.

Like I said it's not crazy, but I don't think it's the way forward. Clokes been pretty durable, we may get another 4-5 yrs out of him.

He's untouchable in my opinion.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 pm

There could be more than one purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: