Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What do we need in the draft/trade period?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Az 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Karnezis could possibly have a big role to play now that Beams is on the move. It's always been our intention to play him as a midfielder rather than a forward. Was absolutely killing it in the 2nds up north when played in the middle and wing, then in the couple of games he was played in the middle for us he was really good. We are screaming out for big bodied mids, especially now Beams is QLD bound. Hope he can get a massive preseason into him then let's see what he can produce.

As for our ruck/forward debacle, Daniel Gorringe from the Suns is looking to get back to Melb so why not give him a spot. 200cm 96kg. If Grundy or Witts go down, we only have Gault, White and Cox to be able to take on the duties. Pretty raw in that area!

As for our vacant spot that H has left, I say go after Malceski. Bloke is still elite, and although he won't be apart of our future, it allows guys like Fasolo and Ramsey to develop a bit more to take over that defensive role in the coming seasons. His experience would be invaluable too.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Mids with pace, very good or better skills, an appetite for 2-way running, and a passion for the physical stuff. Even better if they're 185+.

Can see Langdon, Karnezis, and Seedsman getting some midfield time and adding some size to the rotations. Can also see Williams, Sinclair and Toovey getting some midfield tagging rotations. Adds to the Pendles, Sidebottom, Adams, Thomas types and gives some depth. Have Freeman, Kennedy and Broomhead coming through. Elliott, Fosolo and even White as a RR add other options. Dwyer and Martin types as well.

All that aside, depth of midfield run and carry is the way of the future. Quality and variety is what we need.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:00 am

Our club is at a crossroads, our 2 prized midfield recruits from last year are well behind schedule through injury, do we trust those 2 to become our next Pendles-Swan? Because if they don't we're pretty much £$%$ed.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:51 am

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
I agree re we improved kicking skills from those we currently have and whomever we get.

There isn't a whole lot of current players left to pick up that will significantly improve our list in my opinion. Clarke would have been handy.

We need a real hard at it type, one who makes his team mate stand taller around them and who makes opposition think twice about winning cxontestyed footy around them. Not a thug, a warrior. I think, in time, not next year, that Taylor Adams will be in that mould, i.e. Joel Selwood.

I'm pretty happy with the young blokes coming through but great teams are made with those type of players. Millane, the Anvil, Maxwell are a few that I loved in our line up! I would love a Fyfe in our side. Nathan is the best player in the game at the moment (better than Abblett, can take a big mark and is as tough at the ball as Selwood) play him anywhere and can swing a game with those qualities. With Swanny slowly coming to the end of his career we need to unearth another. A couple of hard nuts will do us good.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:43 am

Mossi wrote:
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
I agree re we improved kicking skills from those we currently have and whomever we get.

There isn't a whole lot of current players left to pick up that will significantly improve our list in my opinion. Clarke would have been handy.

We need a real hard at it type, one who makes his team mate stand taller around them and who makes opposition think twice about winning cxontestyed footy around them. Not a thug, a warrior. I think, in time, not next year, that Taylor Adams will be in that mould, i.e. Joel Selwood.

I'm pretty happy with the young blokes coming through but great teams are made with those type of players. Millane, the Anvil, Maxwell are a few that I loved in our line up! I would love a Fyfe in our side. Nathan is the best player in the game at the moment (better than Abblett, can take a big mark and is as tough at the ball as Selwood) play him anywhere and can swing a game with those qualities. With Swanny slowly coming to the end of his career we need to unearth another. A couple of hard nuts will do us good.

Better than Ablett? No one to ever play our great game has been better than little Gaz, get off the hear bro.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:43 am

Someone said we need someone who can kick straight, and they're absolutely right, but the fact is that they can ALL kick straight. Confident players do it all the time! I watch our games every week more than once, and what I saw after June 15 (the day Maxy left, but of course that's completely co-incidental!) was at least half a dozen games lost to incredibly bad kicking.

But it started earlier. If we'd kicked straight in the first quarter of round 1 the shellacking wouldn't have happened. If we'd kicked straight in the first against Geelong we could've won that too. But after Maxy left no one could kick a damn thing, and THAT was what prevented us playing finals this year, not the lack of KPPs or tall mids! No midfield, even one composed of 3 Abletts and a Fyfe will get us over the line if we can't kick a score, and we didn't kick 15 goals ONCE after the footscray game, which we went into in 4th spot. in fact after two 13 goal games the next 2 weeks, we only scored 12 goals once, most weeks we kicked between 8 and 11, even the couple we won! That’s less than 3 goals per quarter, how is a midfielder or KPP going to help fix that! I won't even mention who I think is responsible for our unprecedented lack of confidence, how the hell do we FIX it???
Even our poor finishes in the last 2 seasons have got us nothing, neither of last year's early picks played a game, and one is already gone for 2015, as is our only tagger, and add Darcy Moore to that. He's skinny, and I'd be shocked if he played next year, which we're going to start just a couple of injuries short of a ruined season. The resultant pressure on Pendles not to get injured almost ensures he will, either that or he'll be too worried about it to play at his best. and what then?! New players won't help us there, especially kids from the draft.

Stuff whether we're better off with Tall forwards or mids, what we NEED to do is find a way to kick 4 or 5 goals per quarter. Do we have the best sports science people money can buy? Do we have the resources to get our guys' minds in the game? As far as I know we don't even do extra kicking practice! Why the hell not!?

Ah well, at least we're going to get a very early pick next year, that's how Hawthorn and Geelong got where they are, years of failure and high draft picks. Tell me, did you expect that in 2011? I know I didn't, we had better depth than the Indian Ocean, now our midfield is damn near gone. Just last year we had Pendles, Beamer, Swanny, Daisy, Bally and Steelo, best midfield I'd seen in years, if not ever. Now we have the Captain and Sidey and kids.

But again, if we can't kick 15 goals in a game we won't win very many, and 4 or 5 wins might just be good enough to earn the timber cutlery next year.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:43 am

dp

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 am

Dont need any 30 + players except possibly a mature age ruckman in Hudsons role (insurance) let Witts and Grundy take most of the ruck duties. Gault hopefully to come on as a ruck/forward.

With Moore as f/s we dont need anymore KPP

Definately need mids with Swan at the end of his career and Beams going unfortunately, two quality mids are needed add Freeman and long term improvement to the list. Remember mids come on far quicker than talls so that will rectify itself soon.

Hopefully we will get a couple of draft picks for Beams plus a Hine special in the 2/3 round picks.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 am

Since we are effectively forced into rebuilding anyway, I believe it would be prudent to try and pick up as many lower to middle 2nd round picks as we can (for the hit and miss factor), draft the best prospects we can (regardless of position or style of said players), and just take the pain for a better tomorrow. We already have some young likely prospects and supplementing these with a few extras will most likely pay off in the long run. No quick fixes.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Since we are effectively forced into rebuilding anyway, I believe it would be prudent to try and pick up as many lower to middle 2nd round picks as we can (for the hit and miss factor), draft the best prospects we can (regardless of position or style of said players), and just take the pain for a better tomorrow. We already have some young likely prospects and supplementing these with a few extras will most likely pay off in the long run. No quick fixes.

Please rephrase the content. Wink
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:08 am

woftam wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Please rephrase the content. Wink

Hahahaha this isn't Dopesendon, this is Collingwood (breaks out into song)!!!

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:09 am

This time last year I wrote here that we needed big bodied mids the size of Pendles and quick skilful mids. Our recruiting team knew this and I'm certain they had Bontimpelli pencilled in at 6 with Sharenberg as our second option. Sharenberg is elite and will play through the midfield. Unfortunately, like everybody else, he fell over.

We'll have the pace in 2015 with Freeman strutting his stuff; he'll play most games for sure and I reckon Elliott will be there too, but we still need bigger bodied skilful mids. I know nothing at this stage about this year's crop of draftees so I'll await Dave's Spring Festival of Draftees to set me straight. Very Happy

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:39 am

Agree with everything that has been said here. Strong bodied mids like Freeman and Ollie Wines are the type of players that we need to recruit. We need to replace Beams with a ready made experienced mid of similar talent to say a Dangerfield. Another small forward would come in handy. Since Carlton doesn't seem to want Garlett, I think he would be a good pick up. I was hoping to get Clark as he can play in tandem with Cloke in the forward line and can play as second ruck. Now we need to put in more development time with Gault. Moore is an obvious pick up to the forward line. Wouldn't mind another tall back either, as I don't have a lot of faith in Brown remaining injury free. Sam Frost may want to come to Collingwood to join his brother and would come cheaply. Otherwise keep drafting youth through the national draft and keep away from free agency.
magpiepete 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 am

If we take pick 4 from the Lions for Beamsy will that then mean that we have to use that pick for Darcy Moore???
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:37 am

magpiepete wrote:
If we take pick 4 from the Lions for Beamsy will that then mean that we have to use that pick for Darcy Moore???

No. Son father bids are done before trading as far as I'm aware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: