Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hawthorn - proof that short-term pain can be worth it

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Museman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
The problem we have in comparison to Hawthorn is we look like losing our Mitchell (later pick gem), in Beams, and have already lost Thomas.

Injuries destroyed Thomas, and in any case Freeman may prove a great replacement. Let's see who we get for Beams before we start crying spilt milk.

Because injury's have been kind to Freeman so far.....

Lollipops, lollipops, lollipops... Laughing

Too right, after a couple of hamstring injuries we might as well put a line through Freeman's career.... Rolling Eyes
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 pm

King Malta wrote:
Museman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
The problem we have in comparison to Hawthorn is we look like losing our Mitchell (later pick gem), in Beams, and have already lost Thomas.

Injuries destroyed Thomas, and in any case Freeman may prove a great replacement. Let's see who we get for Beams before we start crying spilt milk.

Too right, after a couple of hamstring injuries we might as well put a line through Freeman's career.... Rolling Eyes

Try 3 hamstring injuries, one bad enough to sideline him for 3 months, odds are his body will struggle with the demands of AFL.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Museman 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:47 pm

King Malta wrote:
Museman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I'M WITH YA Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Maybe it's hard to see my point because your eyes are...well... Rolling Eyes

but... Rolling Eyes using a kid who has had a very bad year injury wise as the the replacement argument for a bloke who played how many games this year?

strikes me as a tad ironic Rolling Eyes Wink
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 pm

In 2014 Hawthorn's win proves that enough went right for them to be premiers.

In 2015 Hawthorn's 2014 premiership means nothing. (And that is how they will be approaching it too)

2015 the game changes again.

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Museman wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Museman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I'M WITH YA Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Maybe it's hard to see my point because your eyes are...well... Rolling Eyes

but... Rolling Eyes using a kid who has had a very bad year injury wise as the the replacement argument for a bloke who played how many games this year?

strikes me as a tad ironic Rolling Eyes Wink

I see your point.

But my point is that hamstring injuries at the beginning of a career are a bit different than the degenerative ankle injury that Daisy is carrying mate.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:33 pm

King Malta wrote:
I see your point.

But my point is that hamstring injuries at the beginning of a career are a bit different than the degenerative ankle injury that Daisy is carrying mate.

And certainly not worth consigning the kid's career to the scrap heap. By all reports Freeman was back in full training the last few weeks of the season so we should look forward to him showing his wares in 2015.
Museman 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 pm

jackcass wrote:
King Malta wrote:
I see your point.

And certainly not worth consigning the kid's career to the scrap heap. By all reports Freeman was back in full training the last few weeks of the season so we should look forward to him showing his wares in 2015.

Would you recruit Cyril given his hamstring issues?

What if Freeman does another early next year.

I hope like hell the kid gets over it...but I am worried for him.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Museman wrote:
jackcass wrote:
King Malta wrote:
I see your point.

Would you recruit Cyril given his hamstring issues?

What if Freeman does another early next year.

I hope like hell the kid gets over it...but I am worried for him.

Yep, where do we sign!

Then he goes back to the rehab group.

I have more significant issues to worry about rather than forcasting the demise and subsequent waste of a high draft pick.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:30 pm

Defender wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Museman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Try 3 hamstring injuries, one bad enough to sideline him for 3 months, odds are his body will struggle with the demands of AFL.

Reiwvolt, Mathew Loyd to name 2 champs came back from similar injuires AND Freeman is much younger so he will be fine.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:58 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I think the point, well made, is that we also got a big 6 of superstars. actually it was a big 9 -

Cloke, Swan, Shaw, Reid, Brown, Pendles, Thomas, Sidey and Beams. This 9 should always be able to be supplemented with quality role players to produce good if not GREAT teams. Sadly, Shaw and Thomas are gone - and Brown and Reid cant get healthy. intermittently, we've also lost other members for chunks of time. cloke, Pendles and Sidey are the only ones we haven't lost for large chunks of the season.

I'd love one of the stats junkies to tell me how many games of footy these 9 players played together and how many of those we lost. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they didn't lose a game after the 2010 GF (other than maybe the 2011 Grand Final). sadly, I would expect that there might have been less than 5 games where all 9 were on the park at the same time.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:47 am

E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I think the point, well made, is that we also got a big 6 of superstars. actually it was a big 9 -

Cloke, Swan, Shaw, Reid, Brown, Pendles, Thomas, Sidey and Beams. This 9 should always be able to be supplemented with quality role players to produce good if not GREAT teams. Sadly, Shaw and Thomas are gone - and Brown and Reid cant get healthy. intermittently, we've also lost other members for chunks of time. cloke, Pendles and Sidey are the only ones we haven't lost for large chunks of the season.

I'd love one of the stats junkies to tell me how many games of footy these 9 players played together and how many of those we lost. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they didn't lose a game after the 2010 GF (other than maybe the 2011 Grand Final). sadly, I would expect that there might have been less than 5 games where all 9 were on the park at the same time.

Nathan Brown missed the whole 2011 season, so that's that gone

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 am

Just to emphasise how long ago the present Hawthorn team's success was set in train, at their best and fairest last night Lewis was 1st (drafted 2004), Birchall was 2nd (drafted 2005), Roughead was 3rd (drafted 2004) and Hodge was 4th (drafted 2001).

The noise from the decision a decade ago to trade pick 7 to Hawthorn is still reverberating. Not only did Chad Morrison get delisted after 2 seasons but Chris Egan, who - if things had have gone according to plan - should have been in his prime this year at 27, was delisted in 2008.

I don't mention this to encourage more public self-flagellation by some of our more miserable posters but, rather, to point to the longer-term source of some of our present difficulties and, more importantly, to the necessarily incremental nature of the corrections required to our list.

Put another way, Clarkson is continuing to reap the benefits of some good outcomes achieved by the football administration of his immediate predecessor.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:25 am

One might add, following the same theme, that Mitchell (drafted 2001) was named their best player in finals this year, as well.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:39 am

P4S your using common sense and facts in a Nicks thread, you should know by now neither of those two are welcome anymore.

But I agree with you, great clubs aren't built overnight they take years of careful planning and often along the way bumps in the road will occur (aka Dayne Beams) and the good clubs make the necessary corrections when they occur.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:09 am

swoop42 wrote:
We would not be in the state we are now with better list management and man management.

The likes of Swan, Cloke, Shaw, Thomas, Pendlebury, Reid, Brown, Beams and Sidebottom amongst others were drafted a long while ago now and should have formed the backbone to premiership assaults over the last year, this year and next but for various reasons discussed at length already it's all gone to shite.

To be perfectly frank as much as I was overjoyed with the succession plan put in place in 2009 after the seasons we had in 2010 and 11 cooler heads should have prevailed with Buckley asked to put his ambitions on hold for a couple of more years.

We played the most dominant football I've seen from a Collingwood side in my lifetime during those two years and while we didn't deliver the two flags we should it's folly to suggest any senior coach in history should or would be replaced on the back of those two seasons.

It's all gone downhill since then and while I don't blame Buckley personally for all of it from that day forward a division in the playing group has formed IMO and it's lead to a situation now where the club isn't the happy place it once was, players aren't prepared to stick fat with teammates for less money or when personal issues arise while others have been moved on because they haven't embraced the new coach or his methods.

Until we become a happy and united playing group again we won't be a finals force anytime soon and only time will tell whether Buckley is the man to lead us back to that place or is one of the problems standing in the way of it.

nicely put swoop

one exception - buckley was paid to maintain and improve, not be the wrecking ball
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: