Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hawthorn - proof that short-term pain can be worth it

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Hawthorn/PDFs/2013-207%20Strategic%20Plan.pdf

here's the hfc strategic plan 2013-17. i'm surprised spindog has not posted this. where is ours?

i remember i asked for this a few years' back and was advised they don't share it externally.

hfc come across as a well-oiled machine. they certainly are leaders in the industry. for all the good that our club does i get a sense we're slowly falling off the pace. that's not to say the club is not busting a gut to get things right, perhaps it is not as evident.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:42 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
We would not be in the state we are now with better list management and man management.

The likes of Swan, Cloke, Shaw, Thomas, Pendlebury, Reid, Brown, Beams and Sidebottom amongst others were drafted a long while ago now and should have formed the backbone to premiership assaults over the last year, this year and next but for various reasons discussed at length already it's all gone to shite.

To be perfectly frank as much as I was overjoyed with the succession plan put in place in 2009 after the seasons we had in 2010 and 11 cooler heads should have prevailed with Buckley asked to put his ambitions on hold for a couple of more years.

We played the most dominant football I've seen from a Collingwood side in my lifetime during those two years and while we didn't deliver the two flags we should it's folly to suggest any senior coach in history should or would be replaced on the back of those two seasons.

It's all gone downhill since then and while I don't blame Buckley personally for all of it from that day forward a division in the playing group has formed IMO and it's lead to a situation now where the club isn't the happy place it once was, players aren't prepared to stick fat with teammates for less money or when personal issues arise while others have been moved on because they haven't embraced the new coach or his methods.

Until we become a happy and united playing group again we won't be a finals force anytime soon and only time will tell whether Buckley is the man to lead us back to that place or is one of the problems standing in the way of it.

nicely put swoop

one exception - buckley was paid to maintain and improve, not be the wrecking ball

And that was tried. There were no significant changes for the 2012 season.

After that season the club decided that more significant change was needed. We can argue the rights or wrongs of it but now we are on a different path, it really is time to accept that rather than continue to pine over what never was and may have never been.

It's now up to Buckley to show us that this new path will lead to success. Starting with season 2015 we need to see progress. That is our focus now, not looking back and fantasising on what might have been, but looking forward and building towards what will be.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:14 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
We would not be in the state we are now with better list management and man management.

The likes of Swan, Cloke, Shaw, Thomas, Pendlebury, Reid, Brown, Beams and Sidebottom amongst others were drafted a long while ago now and should have formed the backbone to premiership assaults over the last year, this year and next but for various reasons discussed at length already it's all gone to shite.

To be perfectly frank as much as I was overjoyed with the succession plan put in place in 2009 after the seasons we had in 2010 and 11 cooler heads should have prevailed with Buckley asked to put his ambitions on hold for a couple of more years.

We played the most dominant football I've seen from a Collingwood side in my lifetime during those two years and while we didn't deliver the two flags we should it's folly to suggest any senior coach in history should or would be replaced on the back of those two seasons.

It's all gone downhill since then and while I don't blame Buckley personally for all of it from that day forward a division in the playing group has formed IMO and it's lead to a situation now where the club isn't the happy place it once was, players aren't prepared to stick fat with teammates for less money or when personal issues arise while others have been moved on because they haven't embraced the new coach or his methods.

Until we become a happy and united playing group again we won't be a finals force anytime soon and only time will tell whether Buckley is the man to lead us back to that place or is one of the problems standing in the way of it.

nicely put swoop

one exception - buckley was paid to maintain and improve, not be the wrecking ball

And that was tried. There were no significant changes for the 2012 season.

After that season the club decided that more significant change was needed. We can argue the rights or wrongs of it but now we are on a different path, it really is time to accept that rather than continue to pine over what never was and may have never been.

It's now up to Buckley to show us that this new path will lead to success. Starting with season 2015 we need to see progress. That is our focus now, not looking back and fantasising on what might have been, but looking forward and building towards what will be.

OK I'll try really.

Im so pessimistic about the 2015 season.
I don't think Bucks has any chance to 'progress' in terms of the ladder, or WIN/LOSS. I don't think anyone could given the state of our list and Caff and Sharra injuries.

If Reid and Brown play 18+ games each and no one else gets hurt I still don't see us making the finals.

I just want all the surprises to stop, the club to come clean and stop the spin.
Then I might have hope.

Those at the top MUST take their fair-share of responsibility and reset the message in order for us to progress.

At the moment we are still in the March track where Pert said, upon extending Bucks' contract:
"I would suggest not only playing in finals for the next three years, but I would expect us to be top four and winning a premiership during that period of time."

It's already failed, and we should be 1000-1 for the 2015 flag and probably 100-1 for top 4.

Only 2 years left - the plan/vision/sales pitch needs a tweak.

Then we can stop being critical and get on board. Then I'd be happy to give Bucks until we are out of contention for 2016.

At the moment its a freakin joke.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Just to emphasise how long ago the present Hawthorn team's success was set in train, at their best and fairest last night Lewis was 1st (drafted 2004), Birchall was 2nd (drafted 2005), Roughead was 3rd (drafted 2004) and Hodge was 4th (drafted 2001).

The noise from the decision a decade ago to trade pick 7 to Hawthorn is still reverberating. Not only did Chad Morrison get delisted after 2 seasons but Chris Egan, who - if things had have gone according to plan - should have been in his prime this year at 27, was delisted in 2008.

I don't mention this to encourage more public self-flagellation by some of our more miserable posters but, rather, to point to the longer-term source of some of our present difficulties and, more importantly, to the necessarily incremental nature of the corrections required to our list.

Put another way, Clarkson is continuing to reap the benefits of some good outcomes achieved by the football administration of his immediate predecessor.

Just a small bump to try to bring this back on topic. There are plenty of threads where sentiments for or against Buckley might be (and incessantly are) aired. I'm a little tired of them spilling into every thread. I expect that many others are too.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Just to emphasise how long ago the present Hawthorn team's success was set in train, at their best and fairest last night Lewis was 1st (drafted 2004), Birchall was 2nd (drafted 2005), Roughead was 3rd (drafted 2004) and Hodge was 4th (drafted 2001).

The noise from the decision a decade ago to trade pick 7 to Hawthorn is still reverberating. Not only did Chad Morrison get delisted after 2 seasons but Chris Egan, who - if things had have gone according to plan - should have been in his prime this year at 27, was delisted in 2008.

I don't mention this to encourage more public self-flagellation by some of our more miserable posters but, rather, to point to the longer-term source of some of our present difficulties and, more importantly, to the necessarily incremental nature of the corrections required to our list.

Put another way, Clarkson is continuing to reap the benefits of some good outcomes achieved by the football administration of his immediate predecessor.

Just a small bump to try to bring this back on topic. There are plenty of threads where sentiments for or against Buckley might be (and incessantly are) aired. I'm a little tired of them spilling into every thread. I expect that many others are too.

Re-read your thread starter and send your resume to the mods.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks for that.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:16 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Thanks for that.

Well I hope you pushed the blue button on your post! Shocked

Yes, I agree, painful as it is! None of us know what's going on in the club, I guess it's just easy to blame one person. But gees it's tiresome!

Hopefully we can see some similarities to the Hawks coming soon. But we will need some bigger bodies!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:36 am

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Thanks for that.

Well I hope you pushed the blue button on your post! Shocked

Yes, I agree, painful as it is! None of us know what's going on in the club, I guess it's just easy to blame one person. But gees it's tiresome!

Hopefully we can see some similarities to the Hawks coming soon. But we will need some bigger bodies!

Buckley did a stint on ABC as a guest commentator during the finals and was queried at length about the very subjects we discuss. We've had the fan forum where club officials fielded questions from the great unwashed. It's not that we're not being told, it's that people are choosing to ignore the new messages, or put a negative spin on them, to push their own agendas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: