Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nick's Exclusive: Obama a Muslim

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

Everyone has an opinion. And there are indeed three sides to every story. I'm just sick and tired of the howling down method used on this forum.

The method you describe can be clearly linked to those of a left political persuasion. It's quite fascinating to observe because they will argue black and blue that they don't, but they do and can't see it.

Hehehe ah, so I must be um, right and right then! (I love it when you use sentences I have to read at least three times to work it out exactly! )

I still don't get all this left right stuff, I just know what I believe in, and what I want to happen when the next government comes in. And I'll lean towards whoever seems to be more to my way of thinking.

Cheers

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Precisely. You love it when you use sentences he or she have to read three times to work it out. What do you like about it when you use sentences he or she have to read three times to work it out so much?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:02 pm

^

You know those annoying cnuts who think the world owes them a living?

The lefties think we should pay for them, the righties think they should get a job. Politics boiled down.
]
On that note, I got my tax retuen letter today, they include a statement telling you the breakup of where your tax went. I assume that's supposed to cheer me up. Well it didn't

Of the tax I paid last year, $11,000 of it went to welfare.

I'm a one man charity.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

The lefties think we should pay for them, the righties think they should get a job. Politics boiled down.
]
On that note, I got my tax retuen letter today, they include a statement telling you the breakup of where your tax went. I assume that's supposed to cheer me up. Well it didn't

I'm a one man charity.

I'm with you:

I wish our taxes would stop paying for the elderly, the disabled, the mentally ill let alone the veterans. Bloody Welfare Bludgers.

You really must get rid of the blow up Terry McCran blow up doll. Wink

The bolded bit is what I use to fertilise the garden with Razz

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:42 pm

David wrote:
I think (oh God, here I go, I'm going to have to split the thread again Laughing) that people go too easy on the right in some of these discussions because conservatives own so much of the status quo. Take the Herald Sun for example: now, that's a right-wing paper with an aggressively political agenda, but a lot of people don't see that because they see those views as the norm.

When, say, I suggest a slightly more radical left-wing political idea on here and get howled down by the typical Herald Sun-reading set, people don't see that as an aggressive right-wing response; just the mainstream asserting the rightful order of things. If anyone wants proof of sustained right-wing aggression, look at the vitriol levelled at the last Labor government and its leaders from the right side of politics (keeping in mind that this was a government that any political scientist would denote as centrist if not centre-right).

Unlike some on the left, I don't see that either side has a monopoly on virtue or civility. Both sides can be as nasty, ignorant and censorious as the other. That's why, as a general rule, I try to remain sceptical of all opinions and open to all argumentsbut even that has its limitations, as this thread shows. Perhaps sometimes we (whether left or right) just need to be able to say "I respect you as a person, but that's dumb". I think this is one such case.

Absolutely, David. I was not having a go at you, just using it as a stepping-off place to muse on the eay that the left and right tend to construct disagreement. You are a shining light of civility and patience on this board, amd i think everyone of goodwill recognises that. On the Obama = Muslim debate, indeed, that is the more extreme rightist thinking in action. Obama is not of my political side, therefore I must find ways and grounds (however poorly-evidenced) to disqualify him from the circle of our tribal allegiance.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:06 pm

I'm more worried about the belief system you're slipping deeper into, Pa Marmo. This is no answer to the struggles we have as humans, even if it feels like it is.

The world is not one vast evil conspiracy, and you are not part of the righteous few on a life raft. You're a good, flawed average person like the rest of usembrace it!

The media makes it feel like we're surrounded by evil, but that's why "news" is such a rubbish source of insight into the wider world: Good, flawed average people account for the vast proportion of society and everyday social encounters, and are not newsworthy because of that fact.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:08 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

Everyone has an opinion. And there are indeed three sides to every story. I'm just sick and tired of the howling down method used on this forum.

The method you describe can be clearly linked to those of a left political persuasion. It's quite fascinating to observe because they will argue black and blue that they don't, but they do and can't see it.

Hehehe ah, so I must be um, right and right then! (I love it when you use sentences I have to read at least three times to work it out exactly! )

I still don't get all this left right stuff, I just know what I believe in, and what I want to happen when the next government comes in. And I'll lean towards whoever seems to be more to my way of thinking.

Cheers

I think the distinctions ate pretty tired, actually. We all tend to think and opine according to useful, but rather stale columns - left/right, Israeli/Palestinian, pro-/anti, etc.

Increasingly, i think the really important distinction runs not down the columns, but across the rows. It is the distinction between those who genuinely have an open mind, who understand that their narrative about reality is not the only one, and who have some reverence for facts, vs their personal doctrinal orthodoxy. You find these people on both sides of most debates, and the opposite faction on both sides as well.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:18 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I'm more worried about the belief system you're slipping deeper into, Pa Marmo. This is no answer to the struggles we have as humans, even if it feels like it is.

The world is not one vast evil conspiracy, and you are not part of the righteous few on a life raft. You're a good, flawed average person like the rest of usembrace it!

The media makes it feel like we're surrounded by evil, but that's why "news" is such a rubbish source of insight into the wider world: Good, flawed average people account for the vast proportion of society and everyday social encounters, and are not newsworthy because of that fact.

Don't worry about me PTD, I'm safe and secure in my God, I am happy, healthy, and very comfortable in my own skin. Unlike the the crud that gets said about me being a bigot, or a racist, I actually care about and pray for you all, whether you want me to or not. I don't hate Muslims, I hate islam, I don't hate gays, I hate homosexuality just as much as I hate any other sin. I'm not perfect, in fact I, better than anyone, know I'm far from it, but I'm praying constantly to be better, and more able to assist others. I am a born again, bible believing Christian, who has dedicated his life to seeking to serve the Lord Jesus Christ. If that makes me looney in others eyes, then so be it, I'm looney, or as the bible says, im a fool for Christ, and will be until I die, or kingdom come.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Pa Marmo wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Don't worry about me PTD, I'm safe and secure in my God, I am happy, healthy, and very comfortable in my own skin. Unlike the the crud that gets said about me being a bigot, or a racist, I actually care about and pray for you all, whether you want me to or not. I don't hate Muslims, I hate islam, I don't hate gays, I hate homosexuality just as much as I hate any other sin. I'm not perfect, in fact I, better than anyone, know I'm far from it, but I'm praying constantly to be better, and more able to assist others. I am a born again, bible believing Christian, who has dedicated his life to seeking to serve the Lord Jesus Christ. If that makes me looney in others eyes, then so be it, I'm looney, or as the bible says, im a fool for Christ, and will be until I die, or kingdom come.

When you say you hate homosexuality but don't hate gays what do you mean? What if one of your children was gay how would you feel? How would you treat them?

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:39 pm

KenH wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

When you say you hate homosexuality but don't hate gays what do you mean? What if one of your children was gay how would you feel? How would you treat them?

You can hate sin without hating the sinner Ken, I myself am a sinner (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God). My own eldest daughter lived for several years in a lesbian relationship, I still loved her, and she knew it. She was also fully aware that I didnt, and wouldn't condone her life style choice. We continued to have a normal father daughter relationship, until, a little over five years ago, when she met, fell in love with, and married the father of her three beautiful sons.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:43 pm

If he is a Muslim then it's clearly not hindering his decision to kill plenty of the ones that probably need killing over in Iraq.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Pa Marmo wrote:
KenH wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

You can hate sin without hating the sinner Ken, I myself am a sinner (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God). My own eldest daughter lived for several years in a lesbian relationship, I still loved her, and she knew it. She was also fully aware that I didnt, and wouldn't condone her life style choice. We continued to have a normal father daughter relationship, until, a little over five years ago, when she met, fell in love with, and married the father of her three beautiful sons.

Sorry Pa, but I don't really follow, my son is gay and he will never fall in love with a girl as much as my wife and I would have liked. We understand that he is gay and he is loved by us and we will welcome his partner into our family and we will never let him think that he has disappointed us because he is gay, it is not a choice and I find it hard to understand that it can be be changed!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Good onya Ken. Wish my parents were as accepting as you.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks David, I believe that both my boys love me and my wife as much as we love them and you can't ask for more than that!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:35 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

]

I'm a one man charity.

For that you got emergency services on-call, access to entire utilities, legal, education and transport systems, as well as the wastefully-deployed Abbott Army and ultra-rubbish broadband you begged for.

What more do you want for your taxes?

You could always bite the bullet and take full personal responsibility for yourself, only using those things you have paid for, such as the 37 yards of reinforced footpath in Doveton that are yours; or the 63m of highly-engineered cable used on a bridge in Mitchell Park in Adelaide; or those 4.1 minutes of remote coast guard services; or those 13.2 seconds of national defense.

Or, when the sulking subsides, you could always up-skill using the education system you have personally funded .0000000001 cents on the dollar of, keeping your skills up-to-date and therefore warranting a higher income.
Idea Idea
Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: