Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley. How much time do we give him?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 am
Post subject: Buckley. How much time do we give him?Reply with quote

melliot wrote:
I'm totally flat. We've been an uninspiring team since Bux took over. Even after a win, it's a battle to enjoy a replay.

We now play an uninspiring brand that loses games.

I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better. We may go further backwards next year. Cos our footy brand is bottom 4 style and only made to look better by some scrap.

Prompted by this Melliot post I felt the need to start this thread.

Buckley has 22 games from now to prove he's the man for the job IMO.

We've gone from the youngest premiership side in 32 years, to runners up in 11, preliminary finalists in 12, an elimination final last season to now looking like we're missing the finals altogether.

While there's various reasons you could come up for it (which has been discussed to death previously) that's a downward spiral in anyone's language and come 2015 when he'll be in his 4th year as coach that trend needs to be going upwards.

We need to be playing a better brand of football.

It can't be denied Bucks inherited a list in 2012 that still had a core group of talented players just entering there prime years which lead all of us to expect we could remain in serious flag contention for seasons to come.

Three years down the track our list now looks remarkably different to when he took over from Malthouse and while I don't disagree with our recruiting strategy of the previous couple of years I don't think Buckley can use our now youngish list as an excuse either.

This was his doing, his decision to move on premiership heroes for draft picks so he must live and die by that decision.

While I think we have enough young talent on our list to believe our future could be bright, right now if I'm honest I'm not certain that Buckley is the man to get the best out of them into that future.

After such a promising start to the season where I saw signs that our game plan was finally coming together right at this moment I don't think I could even describe what exactly that game plan is.

It could all be explained away by our injuries, unstable line up and young team but what if that isn't the problem, what if it's the coach?

I don't wish to see this generation of Collingwood players like Pendlebury, Cloke, Sidebottom, Reid and Beams finish with just the one flag, I don't want to let the side suffer a slow demise when they showed such promise of being capable of delivering so much more just a few short years ago.

When is enough, enough?

I'm hoping Buckley can prove to be the right man for the job, I love the bloke but there comes a time for everybody when they must be judged on pure performance and not what we had hoped for them and us.

The club must always come first.

Surely we must improve next year.

Surely that's not to much to ask from a coach in his 4th year at the helm of such a powerful club.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to take two years to fix his mess...

I'd say we're stuck with him for next year - make or break in 2015, no excuses...

I've made my mind up, but in the real world, he'll get next year, there's no way two years out of the 8 he'll survive?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:43 am

End of next year, end of story. Whether as comedy, tragedy or romance I don't know.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 am

Let's wait until the end of his contract. That's what the club will do, presumably—certainly, what all clubs should do—so hopefully they will make an intelligent call at the right time. That call should be, should always be, "is the incumbent the best possible candidate available for the coming years?".

Honestly, I just don't have the data to assess that. Ladder positions, win/loss ratios and injuries tell us way too little about a senior coach's performance. There are just too many variables. You'd have to be an insider to know.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:15 am

i'd give him 2-3 year after this year.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 am

I noticed yesterday how leadership was missing from the team. Yes, Pendles is the Captain, but when Maxy was playing this year, he still lead the team. I don't feel that Pendles has that capacity. In fact, I thought Harry was more of leader onfield yesterday than Pendles was.

We need leadership on the field. I think Bucks is the right Coach, but we need the players to step up.

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:47 am

Buckley has one more year to show there is a future with this list, that's clear. It's his list.

Pendlebury is in his first year and the jury is out. I personally do not believe he is captain material.

But who is coming up through the ranks? I challenge anyone to name an alternative. We have none.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 am

I think he needs at least 2 years after this year now.

He knew when we took over that he had a great list but albeit one that had won a flag (and should have won 2) and that its absolutely best was past it. Anyone could have coached us to the prelim in 2012 such was the list and with a bit of luck may have even had a chance of winning. But since then Bucks new that we would have to rebuild with retirements and moving players on he positioned the club to take top end picks to build a future. There will be more retirements this year that will impact the list even more but we need to remember that more than half the team out on the park last night had played under 50 games including a very inexperienced backline most of these guys wont mature until they are in the 75-100 bracket.

It's not going to be a quick fix but Bucks needs at least 2015-2016 to get this team tracking back up the ladder.

Having said that I have concerns about match day and exactly what sort of football he wants this team to play.

Last night Adelaide killed us with their loose man Brodie Smith was at most times deep and was always prepared to give a 2-1 advantage to Adelaide on whoever was our deepest forward and we obliged be either kicking to that unfair contest or kicking it straight to him.

I couldn't even work out how we tried to use our loose it started with Harry at the back but then seemed to change to be around the contest then changed again and at times it became diabolical when the loose was caught between the lines in no mans land. Our loose had no real influence around the contest and it only served to keep Adelaide forward line open and when won the clearance our defence was under the pump because Adelaide always had 1 on 1 contests.

Our loose man should have been permanently in defence to help them out.
As crazy as it sounds when he was up the ground and having no influence it was like playing with 17 men.

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:54 am

It's staggering how much we miss Maxy
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 am

John Wren wrote:
i'd give him 2-3 year after this year.

I would agree with this but would also like to see an emerging game plan that evolves in a consistent manner. One minute we seem to be playing zonal defence and the next it is man on man which has proven to be more effective.

What we cannot buy into is blaming Buckley for some of the weaknesses of some of the younger players. Keefe as an example has a great deal of potential but does become vulnerable and seems to panic when under consent pressure. What can you expect from a young guy who has played only 35 games and is coming back from a knee reco surrounded by one experienced player who is also coming off a knee reco and a bunch of younger players with even less experience. When the backline has been weakened to such an extent we have little alternative than to support him and fast track development where possible.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:58 am

Proud Pies wrote:
I noticed yesterday how leadership was missing from the team. Yes, Pendles is the Captain, but when Maxy was playing this year, he still lead the team. I don't feel that Pendles has that capacity. In fact, I thought Harry was more of leader onfield yesterday than Pendles was.

We need leadership on the field. I think Bucks is the right Coach, but we need the players to step up.

I would agree. I just hope that seeing Maxy is no gone that Pendles steps up to the mark. That said I don't know if the type of leadership required is in his makeup.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 am

We are just no good in the middle, thats where it all starts, when we hit the front last night the next 2 goals for Crows came straight from centre clearances one after the other bang, bang and the game was over.

Need an experience strong ruckman like Goldstein (is he available?)....

The other issue is our back six, compare ours against Geelongs (sitting = top of the AFL ladder) who also are on a simliar path to us in terms of blooding young kids, they've had no change to the back six for years.

Lonaghan
Mackie
Enright
Taylor

I know frawley is not on our radar but someone like him would have been perfect.

You can argue Scharenberg, Langdon, Keefe, Frost, William & Toovey but gee thats a very very young back six!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28 am

As outlined in game day thread
adelide loose man in defence
still in last 10 minutes when we
were behind.
Any normal coach would ať least man
up that player.
Of course the ball came in
and then got swept out again
with a 2 on 1 situation.
Can someone please explain this?
Crap coaching i reckon!

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:38 am

I've had a faith in Bucks forever. This is the first time since he has been involved with Collingwood that my faith has started to wane.

We are in deep trouble at the moment.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 am

thompsoc wrote:
As outlined in game day thread
adelide loose man in defence
still in last 10 minutes when we
were behind.
!

So, why did the Adelaide coach say they went back to 6 forward, 6 mid, 6 back after half time? Don't think they had a loose man, they just worked harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36   

Jump to: