Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we've got pick 5 and 30. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Petracca, McCartin, Brayshaw and Wright will be gone first four. It's going to be Laverde, De Goey or Ahern folks.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:29 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The paper this morning suggested Collingwood has its eye on Ahern with its number 5 pick. It basically said that GWS may select him at 4, to prevent Collingwood taking him at 5.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2014-paul-ahern-keen-to-work-on-consistency-with-recruiters-unsure-of-his-place-in-draft-order/story-fnau1fjg-1227127319316

I'd be disappointed if we don't take Wright if we have the chance.

However, this kid sounds pretty skilful. Let him come & have my diet & I'll coach him to become less skinny in a matter of weeks.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:33 pm

watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The paper this morning suggested Collingwood has its eye on Ahern with its number 5 pick. It basically said that GWS may select him at 4, to prevent Collingwood taking him at 5.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2014-paul-ahern-keen-to-work-on-consistency-with-recruiters-unsure-of-his-place-in-draft-order/story-fnau1fjg-1227127319316

However, this kid sounds pretty skilful. Let him come & have my diet & I'll coach him to become less skinny in a matter of weeks.

I don't understand this way of thinking.
It's great to look at highlight reels etc, but Hine & Rendell know these kids better than we do by a long way. Strengths, weaknesses everything.
A few years ago I was hell bent on us drafting Tom Swift. Highlight reel was exceptional & picked to be a top pick in his draft year. Instead Hine went for Sidebottom & Beams. Swift was drafted by West Coast in the 20's somewhere. He struggled to break in to the Weagles side & ended up quitting to pursue medical studies. Shows what I know. It's easy to get lost in a highlights package but our guys watch these kids in probably near every game they play. Have faith they will get it right.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Podpicken wrote:
Petracca, McCartin, Brayshaw and Wright will be gone first four. It's going to be Laverde, De Goey or Ahern folks.

You're about the only one thinking Wright will still go at pick 4. Confused

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:25 pm

woftam wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

It's great to look at highlight reels etc, but Hine & Rendell know these kids better than we do by a long way. Strengths, weaknesses everything.
A few years ago I was hell bent on us drafting Tom Swift. Highlight reel was exceptional & picked to be a top pick in his draft year. Instead Hine went for Sidebottom & Beams. Swift was drafted by West Coast in the 20's somewhere. He struggled to break in to the Weagles side & ended up quitting to pursue medical studies. Shows what I know. It's easy to get lost in a highlights package but our guys watch these kids in probably near every game they play. Have faith they will get it right.

Problem is though with us getting Moore as well as losing Beams Hine might go for more needs based in his selection this time around rather than who might be best available big or small.

Who knows but I'd hate for us to overlook Wright purely because we are getting Moore, have lost Beams or looking for someone who could impact significantly within 2 years which is more likely found in a midfield type than a kpp.

Best available whoever that may be at pick 5 regardless of position played is our safest bet with more target selection choices at pick 30 and 48 of the types we require.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:02 pm

swoop42 wrote:
woftam wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Problem is though with us getting Moore as well as losing Beams Hine might go for more needs based in his selection this time around rather than who might be best available big or small.

Who knows but I'd hate for us to overlook Wright purely because we are getting Moore, have lost Beams or looking for someone who could impact significantly within 2 years which is more likely found in a midfield type than a kpp.

Best available whoever that may be at pick 5 regardless of position played is our safest bet with more target selection choices at pick 30 and 48 of the types we require.

The problem with that theory swoop is that comparing a KPP and a midfielder is like comparing apples and oranges, in terms of who is the best player. Despite what people say, it actually comes down to picking the type of player you need. Our problem is we need both a quality midfielder and KPP.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:21 pm

woftam wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Mate, buddy, pal,

Who's gunna know more?

Hine & Rendell who have played AFL, have a professional recruiting department, have picked many winners in drafts, have drafted for premiership teams, who do their recruiting full-time or me who has this for his footy CV:

1. East Brunswick Primary School - First Ruck
2. Pie night at Carlton
3. Having Ron Barrassi speak at primary school
4. 1968: playing 1/2 time at Brunswick VFA (like the little league)
5. Melbourne High School First 18 1973 & 1974
6. Amos - AJAX - first & seconds 1976 & 1977 played Ruck & Fwd pkt

Recruits: none.

& you question my recruiting choices compared to Hine & Rendell Shocked

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:26 pm

duggieboy wrote:
I still like Laverde at pick 5.

At 30 is there any love for Touk Miller, who I see the Hawks have their eye on? He's slated as a strong inside mid and sounds like we are in the hunt for mids.

Any thoughts on this guy Snoop?

You'll need to head over to bigfooty to get snoop's opinion. Wink and I suggest you do as he knows far far more than me about these potential recruits and far more than most.

He is still probably the best amateur phantom drafter there is IMO with all due respect to Knightmare who's not far behind and puts in a hell of a lot of work through the year over at bf.

As for Miller he would add to our midget brigade at only 177cm so don't think he's an ideal candidate for us but as far as midget prospects go only the highly rated flashier types like Pickett would seem better.

He's already 80kg and looks to have good core strength and is said be a strong tackler. Reminded me a bit of Kerr from his highlights.

Very much an inside midfielder at present but has a long and accurate kick on him and has shown to be capable of scoring a goal a game at U18 level.

Recorded high disposal efficiency at the champs in which he also captained Vic metro so obviously has leadership qualities which would appeal also.

As far as midgets go he isn't a bad one but at 30 we should be able to land that player with mid ranged height with similar capability which would suit our list profile better.

If he somehow slipped to 48 then no worries take him but that's unlikely to occur.

Expected to go somewhere between high 20's and low 40's.

duggieboy 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:27 am

Thanks Swoop - got a bit mixed up with names didn't I? lol

Yep I totally get your point re 177cm not helping our cause much. The times Blairy gets beaten simply because of size does highlight the fact.

You need a lot of other upside to compensate

Seeing Miller's highlights again, I agree he'll surely go in the later picks. He seems to get/be in the right spots but more outside than in & under. Could be wrong but that's how it looked.

Everything you mention makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:42 am

watt price tully wrote:
woftam wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Mate, buddy, pal,

Who's gunna know more?

Hine & Rendell who have played AFL, have a professional recruiting department, have picked many winners in drafts, have drafted for premiership teams, who do their recruiting full-time or me who has this for his footy CV:

2. Pie night at Carlton
5. Melboune High School First 18 1973 & 1974

& you question my recruiting choices compared to Hine & Rendell
Shocked

Okay Okay - I stand corrected. Impressive CV Very Happy
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 am

watt price tully wrote:
woftam wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Mate, buddy, pal,

Who's gunna know more?

2. Pie night at Carlton

i played ruck once for prahran's vfa team in the little league. based on that, i have the bona fides to suggest we take a tall. Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 pm

John Wren wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
woftam wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Mate, buddy, pal,

Who's gunna know more?

2. Pie night at Carlton

i played ruck once for prahran's vfa team in the little league. based on that, i have the bona fides to suggest we take a tall. Laughing

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship Wink

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:06 pm

Cavka:
Games:9
Goals:9
Ave. disposals:21.2
Kicking efficiency:61.2%
Ave. marks:6.6
Ave. cont. marks:0.6
Ave. tackles:4.8
Ave. handball receives:6.4

Killed it during the TAC cup finals apparently averaging 28 disposals and 4 goals across 2 games.

Happy to take him at 30.Wink

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:16 am

According to Emma Qualyle in today's paper, Wright seems to be 'sliding' out of favour and may not even end up a top 10 selection. She linked us to selecting one of Pickett, Laverde, De Doey, Ahern or Langford. Seems the journos have no idea either. Confused
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Not sure about our first pick but assuming Cockatoo is gone, I want Maynard or Rainbow at 30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22   

Jump to: