Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we've got pick 5 and 30. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love Leverde, Wright or Pickett at pick 5. Leverde is still my ideal candidate for pick 5 though.

If he's still available at pick 30, then definitely Nakia Cockatoo however it's likely he'll be gone in either the late first round or early second round of the draft.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:52 pm

*Originally posted on bigfooty where some can't seem to grasp the notion that Wright is more than just a ruck option.

People need to stop pigeonholing Wright as a pure ruck man.

Wright is a forward/ruck and sees himself as a forward.

He's shown an ability to kick goals far ahead of both Grundy and Witts at the same age.

We've drafted Lynch and White to try and fill the forward/ruck role with limited success while some are suggesting we need to rookie list a mature aged ruck man as insurance for Grundy and Witts.

Well hello get Wright and we get ourselves the best junior forward/ruck in the game, one who could still end up being the best forward of this draft, all the while we provide ourselves with some ruck backup (albeit inexperienced) should the worst occur with Grundy and Witts injured at the same time.

If both Wright and Laverde are there at 5 it's going to be a tough decision for Hine.

If it's only Wright it should be an easy one I would have thought.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:15 pm

I would be happy with Wright as well. For pick 30 Snoop Dog has persuaded me to actively think about Yarran. He & Darcy Moore have also spoken about Toby McLean. Wouldn't mind either but prefer Yarran at 30.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:22 pm

^Yarran?

What you talkin about Willis?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:26 pm

swoop42 wrote:
*Originally posted on bigfooty where some can't seem to grasp the notion that Wright is more than just a ruck option.

People need to stop pigeonholing Wright as a pure ruck man.

Wright is a forward/ruck and sees himself as a forward.

He's shown an ability to kick goals far ahead of both Grundy and Witts at the same age.

We've drafted Lynch and White to try and fill the forward/ruck role with limited success while some are suggesting we need to rookie list a mature aged ruck man as insurance for Grundy and Witts.

Well hello get Wright and we get ourselves the best junior forward/ruck in the game, one who could still end up being the best forward of this draft, all the while we provide ourselves with some ruck backup (albeit inexperienced) should the worst occur with Grundy and Witts injured at the same time.

If both Wright and Laverde are there at 5 it's going to be a tough decision for Hine.

If it's only Wright it should be an easy one I would have thought.

That makes a lot of sense except for the fact that we've just recruited a 199cm key forward who may also develop as a ruck option in Darcy Moore. It would seem rather odd to me to draft 2 big forwards with our first 2 picks.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Moore has the versatility to play a variety of positions including in defence so I don't see it as so much of a problem I would bypass on Wright because of it.

Moore like Wright comes with no guarantee of success either and who's to say Wright doesn't even overtake a Grundy or Witts within 2 years as a better 2nd ruck option who can also hit the scoreboard.

For me if you have the chance to take a good big man considered top 5 material (where most are found) it's hard to overlook him especially so when top 5 picks have been hard to come by for us and not since 2006 have we taken a single key position tall within the top 10.

Hawthorn went with Roughead and Franklin in the one draft and I'm sure they weren't upset on missing out on Deleido (Laverde) at pick 1 a few years down the track.

Happy with Laverde but content with Wright as well and if faced with the prospect of deciding between the two I'd struggle, ask for extra time, still not come up with an answer and forfeit my bloody selection.

LOL.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:59 pm

swoop42 wrote:
^Yarran?

Okay I see who you are talking about now.

Personally I wouldn't use pick 30 on a player more than likely to be available at 48 if not the rookie draft.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:10 pm

swoop42 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
^Yarran?

Okay I see who you are talking about now.

Personally I wouldn't use pick 30 on a player more than likely to be available at 48 if not the rookie draft.

Look, I didn't inhale I swear it, I don't mean to use ice I swear it, i didn't inject but I did have sex with that woman Wink

Made me look
You dirty chook
Hanging on a
Butchers hook:

From Snoopdog a few days ago on BF:

"The other is Shane Yarran who is an ex con and came up from bush to play WAFL this year and killed it"

He was more for pick 48 but if he's that good get him at 30, take a risk & he's a goal kicker.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:29 pm

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/5438

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/24791409/yarrans-journey-just-the-beginning/

Turns 26 in June of next year.

Though he's 186cm he must have played predominantly as a medium forward as he only averaged the 11.6 disposals across 20 games.

He did kick 39.25 though.

I'd be happy to take a chance with a pick above 48 or in the rookie draft.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:38 pm

swoop42 wrote:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/24791409/yarrans-journey-just-the-beginning/

Though he's 186cm he must have played predominantly as a medium forward as he only averaged the 11.6 disposals across 20 games.

Thanks for the links & thank your mother for the rabbits.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:53 pm

I still really like the sound of this guy at 30 as someone who's played senior footy already in the SANFL, should be capable of stepping up next year at AFL level and would provide us with another strong bodied inside type with enough tricks to become something more into the future.

If we end up with Laverde at 5 as that classy, outside player with speed then someone like Gore would compliment him with his inside ability.

I still think we could do with one more of his type on the list to help cover for the loss of Beams and Ball.

Credit goes to Knightmare for his bio:

Dean Gore (SA Mid) Height: 183cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 26/06/1996
Recruited from: Sturt

Draft range: 20-60Best position/role: Midfield on the ball.
Strengths: Contested ball winning ability Gore is a strong contested ball winner and attacks the ball at pace, more often than not coming out with it. He is strong over the ball and is clean with his pickups off the deck and can take it off the deck on the move. His contested ball winning numbers were strong both through the U18 Championships and at SANFL League level.
Strength and power Gore has a strong body and uses it to his advantage. He seemingly never goes to ground. He uses his strength over the ball to firstly win the contested ball but then can also bully his way through the contest with his forward momentum. He hits the contest at pace and has the strength and low centre of gravity to stand up in the tackle and the forward momentum to keep moving forward with the ball even through the tackle, such is his strength through the hips or get a clean handball off to a target. He will bury guys in his tackles and do some real damage when he takes guys to ground. He has the strength in the 1v1 contest to beat his guy.
Pace and endurance - Gore also for such a big bodied midfielder has some explosiveness, really in traffic almost always moving at full pace and going on 10m to 15m high speed bursts, exploding through the contest. He seems to have very good pace over 20m and also overs the ground well and has good endurance which is pleasing for a big bodied midfielder.
Tackling Gore has excellent tackle numbers but in addition to that he also attacks the man with real ferocity really burying guys in his tackles and knocking the stuffing out of them making it a real strength of his game.
Skillset Gore has a very good skillset by position. He has a long 55m kick on him and can finish on goal from range. To a target Gore is very good over short and medium distances and can when he has time and space lower his eyes but over long distances he has shown a tendency too often to blast away to a contest. By hand Gore is reliable in finding his targets consistently and in delivering cleanly.
Marking ability Gore is a strong mark overhead and has a real strength of hands overhead. He can take marks on the lead and is also a strong mark 1v1 and can out-body his opponent in the contest for the mark.
Versatility Gore while a midfielder first can also play in the front half and present as a marking target, provide some tackling pressure and hit forward 50 targets or hit the scoreboard. It is also not out of the question that he could as required play in the back half as he has a strong body but then also athletically and from a skill standpoint is more than good enough to make that transition into the back half if required. Weaknesses:Kicking under pressure - Under pressure in the contest by foot he can rush it onto his boot and kick it forward without look more than he perhaps needs to when he stands up so strongly though the tackles of opposition players.
Ability to accumulate outside At this stage Gore as with most inside players at this stage does not find much ball outside the contest and still needs to learn where to run outside the contest to get more involved in general play.
Ability to do damage outside Gore while quick inside the contest is not a threat at this stage to break the lines on the outside or break games open with his kicking or do anything game changing outside the contest. What I expect will improve:I expect Gore to continue to improve his inside game and as he progresses, to become more of a weapon in the front half as well as also learn how to find more ball outside the contest.
Who he can become?I see Gore developing into someone similar to Josh Caddy as that similar big bodied midfielder who can at times rotate forward.
When will he be ready to play?Gore has the ability to play as soon as season one and fit in at AFL level given his proven performance at SANFL League level.
How to best utilise him?Through the midfield on the ball with occasional stints in the front half.
Interpretation of his numbers:Numbers through the U18 Championships were strong collecting excellent contested ball numbers and tackle numbers. He has also in his play at SANFL League level showed that he can play and play well against the older bodies collecting strong numbers and also with strong contested ball numbers, strong clearance numbers, excellent marking numbers, a very good disposal efficiency with both his work by hand and foot good, as well as the ability to hit the scoreboard most games. Going off his play at SANFL League level Gore is capable of playing in season one.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:16 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Moore has the versatility to play a variety of positions including in defence so I don't see it as so much of a problem I would bypass on Wright because of it.

Moore like Wright comes with no guarantee of success either and who's to say Wright doesn't even overtake a Grundy or Witts within 2 years as a better 2nd ruck option who can also hit the scoreboard.

For me if you have the chance to take a good big man considered top 5 material (where most are found) it's hard to overlook him especially so when top 5 picks have been hard to come by for us and not since 2006 have we taken a single key position tall within the top 10.

Hawthorn went with Roughead and Franklin in the one draft and I'm sure they weren't upset on missing out on Deleido (Laverde) at pick 1 a few years down the track.

Happy with Laverde but content with Wright as well and if faced with the prospect of deciding between the two I'd struggle, ask for extra time, still not come up with an answer and forfeit my bloody selection.

LOL.

Can't argue with that. Confused
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:21 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Given his time in gaol, I suspect he might struggle to cope if he was drafted away from WA where his family support structure lie. I might be wrong of course, so he would definitely be worth checking out, but my gut tells me it might be too big of an ask to expect him to uproot and move interstate.

BTW swoop, Dean Gore seems a gooden! Smile
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:22 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Given his time in gaol, I suspect he might struggle to cope if he was drafted away from WA where his family support structure lie. I might be wrong of course, so he would definitely be worth checking out, but my gut tells me it might be too big of an ask to expect him to uproot and move interstate.

BTW swoop, Dean Gore seems a gooden! Smile

That's true but cousin Chris is playing for the blues & he's more mature now too. I just don't want a potential gun going to someone else. Can we draft everyone?

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 pm

I don't think it is wise to think Hine is only thinking Laverde or Wright.
A left field pick will not surprise me. I saw Laverde play twice in the u/18 champs & while he was pretty good, nothing said top 5 pick to me.

I really like the look of Reece McKenzie.
35 goals from 10 matches v Wright's 32 goals from 13 matches. Very strong in the air & already 100kg & 196cm. Impressive highlights package. Strong pack marks & quick on the lead.
Very doubtful to be available at pick 30.
To me I'm not sure any of the midfielders besides Petracca & Brayshaw are worthy of a top 5 pick. But Hine knows better than me, so I don't need to worry about it too much

Tall forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck. Extremely strong overhead mark and accurate kick for goal. Kicked 35 goals in 10 matches for the Northern Knights this year. Finished equal-first in the clean hands test (26/30), equal-second in the 20m sprint (2.87 sec) and equal-fifth in the standing vertical jump (72cm) at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. Father Warren was a premiership player for Carlton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 14 of 22   

Jump to: