Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we've got pick 5 and 30. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
So I'm wondering, what stops draft prospects saying to a club:

'Don't draft me I'm not interested and won't play for your club under any circumstances'?

Or alternatively

'Ok draft me but I'll only sign a one year deal and I want to be traded to the team of my choice (aka Buckley)'

Players have to declare their willingness to play for any club which drafts them. To do otherwise can lead them being disqualified from being in the draft.

Still doesn't stop Player X saying he's happy to be drafted to any team but they should be aware that he ultimately wants to be with family and will seek to get home at the first opportunity.

Emmm, just thinking how grossly unfair it is on a young 18 year old to be whipped across the country to a place like WA, or say for a young Collingwood supporter to be drafted by the Blues (or maybe the saints or Melbourne or GWS... if you get my drift, wink wink nudge nudge).

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Az wrote:

'Don't draft me I'm not interested and won't play for your club under any circumstances'?

Or alternatively

'Ok draft me but I'll only sign a one year deal and I want to be traded to the team of my choice (aka Buckley)'

I don't know for sure but I suppose your nomination for the draft could be rejected by the AFL if you're discovered to be tampering. I suppose that doesn't include deliberately acting like a douch bag in your interviews to turn certain clubs off you as that would be difficult to police. I know if I were set to be a top pick I would do anything in my power to not be selected by Melbourne.

I'd just keep talking about how much I love making model 'TANKS' in my interview with Melbourne, every time they talked about football... I'd say something like 'How awesome were those Tiger TANKS in WW2, pity they didn't call them Magpie TANKS instead'!!!

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:42 pm

^^ Ha ha ha. That's gold! You should have been training Petracca these last 12 months.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:47 pm

roar wrote:
^^ Ha ha ha. That's gold! You should have been training Petracca these last 12 months.

Alternatively, just keep getting photos published of you showing up to places like 'Gold Fingers' and or out on the town with the lads ala Fev style.

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Az wrote:

Or alternatively

I don't know for sure but I suppose your nomination for the draft could be rejected by the AFL if you're discovered to be tampering. I suppose that doesn't include deliberately acting like a douch bag in your interviews to turn certain clubs off you as that would be difficult to police. I know if I were set to be a top pick I would do anything in my power to not be selected by Melbourne.

I'd just keep talking about how much I love making model 'TANKS' in my interview with Melbourne, every time they talked about football... I'd say something like 'How awesome were those Tiger TANKS in WW2, pity they didn't call them Magpie TANKS instead'!!!

You win Nicks today Laughing
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:55 pm

Az wrote:

Or alternatively

And when they bring it back to Melborne... too many pansies when what they need is panzers...

Magpie tanks... nice touch!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:55 pm

jackcass wrote:
Az wrote:

Or alternatively

And when they bring it back to Melborne... too many pansies when what they need is panzers...

Magpie tanks... nice touch!

Too many bad puns tank you very much.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Back on topic.

One thing that slightly worries me about someone like Wright is that he's seen as being a bit of a gentle giant.

Despite his size some have suggested his marking can be a little weak in a contested situation when body contact is made.

I still maintain that one of the biggest reasons why you might take a player in Wright who seems surplus to our immediate needs is that he'll hold his draft value over the next couple of years.

Want to target a Treloar, Cameron or Petracca when they come out of contract then Wright is a significant bit of bait to hang in front of there respective clubs.

While we discuss whether GWS might make a strategic selection at 4 could we make one ourselves at 5 if Wright is available?

For me it's probably a win/win scenario in that we get a player who either turns into a power forward or holds his value and we can trade him in for a player who suits us better within 2 years.

More than happy to take Laverde at 5 but if both are available it's going to make for an interesting decision on Hines part.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Laverde:

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/696681/draft-prospect-jayden-laverde/

Wright:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-14/draft-prospect-peter-wright

Lever:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-14/draft-prospect-jake-lever

Pickett:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-14/draft-prospect-jarrod-pickett

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:31 pm

I'd be very happy if we took Pickett at 5. Would be nice to have a young player with that kind of skillset again.

I'm not saying he's the right option. I never have a strong view on that. Just that if Hine and co decided he was, It'd be an exciting selection.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:05 pm

They all looked pretty good to me.

Just don't think you take a small forward/midfielder with a top 5 selection.

Smells of Tambling all over again.

Hell even Rioli went at 12.

innocent_criminal 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:00 pm

Pickett's highlight reel definitely the best out of those... by a street. The go home factor might be a risk though... as long as he does it after a couple of flags that might soften the blow. Smile
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:38 am

What a pain we have to wait until the end of November for the draft.

You'd think it would be better to get it out of the way this weekend or last and allow the potential draftees to learn there fate one way or another.

I would have thought worrying about if you'll get drafted and where you might end up on top of VCE exams would be a double whammy of stress they could do without.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am

Peter Wright reminds me of a young J Roughead.
Looks the goods.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 am

swoop42 wrote:
What a pain we have to wait until the end of November for the draft.

You'd think it would be better to get it out of the way this weekend or last and allow the potential draftees to learn there fate one way or another.

I would have thought worrying about if you'll get drafted and where you might end up on top of VCE exams would be a double whammy of stress they could do without.

Would be nice for us but I think once they're drafted clubs start to make demands upon them which is what impacts on VCE studies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 10 of 22   

Jump to: