Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we've got pick 5 and 30. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'd be inclined to take pick 4 and a player over pick 1. We need to bring in at least two established or close to established players this off-season to replace Beams and Lumumba.

And let's remember that the best player we've ever drafted was taken at pick 5.

Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:57 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Also, I'd be inclined to take pick 4 and a player over pick 1. We need to bring in at least two established or close to established players this off-season to replace Beams and Lumumba.

And let's remember that the best player we've ever drafted was taken at pick 5.

I thought it was Petracca or bust for you?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:15 pm

McCartin or Wright could still slip to pick 5 depending on how the first 3 selections go.

If the saints go for Petracca I then expect the dees will take Brayshaw and one of McCartin/Wright.

GWS are likely IMO to overlook another key forward in preference of a key defender in Lever/Durdin.

Hello one of Wright/McCartin at pick 5.

Warbler 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 am

Who is Cameron that an_inkling says we'll get next year ??

GO PIES
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:53 am

Jeremy Cameron, the GWS full-forward. Don't know if we will get him but he'd be top of my list, too.

Here's his stats: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jeremy_Cameron.html
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:41 pm

So if indeed we end up with pick 5 then I wonder what our next move will be?

Do we use it to go fishing and see what we get offered in terms of a ready made player?

Do we use it to try and improve our draft position?

Do we just keep it and take best available?

If we wanted to try for pick 2/3 from Melbourne it would seem now we might be forced to part ways with a player as I don't see how else it might be achieved.

If pick 30/48 was enough for Sam Frost then could he and pick 5 be enough to see us land pick 3?

Or how about we look at an alternate option and see if the Bulldogs would trade pick 6 and 27 for 5?

My theory behind this hinges on them being desperate to land a key forward and I still believe Wright is a realistic chance to slip pass GWS to 5 and this "chance" might be enough to see them give up a second round pick in order to be in with a shot.

This of course is assuming Hine would be happy to pass on Wright himself if available in preference for a midfield type and another bite of the cherry within the top 30.

In some draft years a top 5 pick and 30 might be enough to see you land 8 and 15 from the Gold Coast but I don't see this as one of them unfortunately.

What options would you like to see us take with pick 5?

What player would you be prepared to trade to upgrade to pick 2?

If we keep pick 5 and Wright is available do we take him or pass because we'll be getting Moore at 9?

Coxy83 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:50 am

I don't think we'd be able to trade with any of the teams higher in the draft and as such should take best available midfielder at 5
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:52 am

Coxy83 wrote:
I don't think we'd be able to trade with any of the teams higher in the draft and as such should take best available midfielder at 5

Yep, Hine's philosophy is to ALWAYS take the best available early in the draft, in this case hopefully ita a midfielder.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Now that we actually have this pick, I think there's a chance we go tall. If both Petracca and Brayshaw are gone with one of McCartin or Wright remaining, it's probably the best option. We've just brought in three mids to replace two, so balance wise another tall isn't a bad move. I say we take best available regardless of position, not doing so almost always gets you into trouble.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:22 pm

^Even the remote chance Wright could slip to 5 is probably stuffed now with the dogs likely to end up with pick 4 if the Griffen trade goes through.

Melbourne getting pick 3 has really screwed the pooch for us.

If we keep pick 5 then I think it'll end up being between Wright, Laverde, Pickett and Ahern.

Lever to much risk attached coming off that knee for mine.

No standout pick 5 for mine unless Wright slips to it.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:38 pm

^^I doubt it will end up being that cut and dry. It would need to go exactly as currently planned for us to miss out on all of: Petracca, Brayshaw, Wright and McCartin. I don't think that will happen.

Just look to last year, Bomtempelli was more like pick 6-10 at this stage of the year. We will see changes in the top 5.

And even putting aside my bias against talls, I'm not big on Wright so I'm hoping he goes top 4.

Of those you listed, Pickett looks a good option to complement our current mix of mids. Looks to have a higher ceiling than the others too and would be a useful small forward even in his first year. And I'm still not ruling out Lamb as a Hine special.

Ok, I've talked myself out of it again. I want a mid, not a tall Wink and I do like Pickett.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:52 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Do we use it to go fishing and see what we get offered in terms of a ready made player?

If we wanted to try for pick 2/3 from Melbourne it would seem now we might be forced to part ways with a player as I don't see how else it might be achieved.

If pick 30/48 was enough for Sam Frost then could he and pick 5 be enough to see us land pick 3?

Or how about we look at an alternate option and see if the Bulldogs would trade pick 6 and 27 for 5?

My theory behind this hinges on them being desperate to land a key forward and I still believe Wright is a realistic chance to slip pass GWS to 5 and this "chance" might be enough to see them give up a second round pick in order to be in with a shot.

This of course is assuming Hine would be happy to pass on Wright himself if available in preference for a midfield type and another bite of the cherry within the top 30.

In some draft years a top 5 pick and 30 might be enough to see you land 8 and 15 from the Gold Coast but I don't see this as one of them unfortunately.

If we keep pick 5 and Wright is available do we take him or pass because we'll be getting Moore at 9?

Do you think the pies might have enquired about the Dees intentions with picks 2 and 3 in helping them with the Clarke/Lumumba trade?

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:07 am

I'm not sold on Pickett as yet.

No doubt highly talented but at this stage there appears to be queries over the defensive running side of his game. He's seen as being a bit of a Lewis Jetta type.

Slightly built indigenous small forwards to often seem to go missing in finals as well.

In fairness a lot of small forwards do.

Our record with indigenous boys isn't great either though I guess we need to try and change that at some stage.

Coming from WA the go home factor might scare us off to but that will probably depend a lot on his personality type and whether he has no trouble adapting to Melbourne life.

I have a small theory that our interest in Varcoe could in part be because we have a strong interest in Pickett and perhaps other indigenous players like Garlett or Cockatoo if we retain a pick in the 20's.

Our club is whiter than a roll of sorbent at present outside of Armstrong so adding Varcoe for not only what he offers on field isn't such a bad idea if it helps a Pickett settle in easier to his new surroundings.

I still think if we end up with a mid 20's pick someone like Garlett or Cockatoo might be available who have similar attributes to Pickett so we may go for something different at pick 5.

Of course that theory could be switched and we go for someone like a Langford if we have a pick 25 or so.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:11 am

^^Your starting to sound like Bucks with all of this defensive running talk. Just admit you want another Blair and won't settle for less Very Happy.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:21 am

E wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Do you think the pies might have enquired about the Dees intentions with picks 2 and 3 in helping them with the Clarke/Lumumba trade?

Pick 5 and Lumumba wouldn't be enough to get us pick 3 I'm afraid.

Pick 5, Brown and Thomas might get us pick 1 or 2 in which we could get a midfielder in Petracca or Brayshaw most would view as having more potential than Thomas and offer us that bigger bodied midfielder but it would mean losing a good key defensive option in Brown albeit one with a injury prone shoulder.

With so many players retiring, delisted, traded or requesting trades in recent years I doubt we'll entertain trading off more teammates and risk upsetting the group any further this trade period.

It will be interesting to see in coming days if we do try and change pick 5 into something else and I wouldn't be necessarily ruling anything out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22   

Jump to: