Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we've got pick 5 and 30. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
The talk of a clear top 4 is out the window. Top three still looks fairly settled, but it seems no one knows what's happening after that.

Wright with a potential Grundy slide? I wouldn't have picked that given most see him as a forward more than a ruck, but there may still be some doubts over his potential as a pure forward. We'll know more in the next couple of weeks as clubs let slip their intentions.

IMO a natural forward standing at 203cm would rip the TAC cup apart, If he wasn't dominant in the u18s he's going to struggle in the AFL as a KF, I think he'll end up being a ruck who can rest forward and you don't spend prime picks on those types (unless their freaks like NicNat),

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
The talk of a clear top 4 is out the window. Top three still looks fairly settled, but it seems no one knows what's happening after that.

Wright with a potential Grundy slide? I wouldn't have picked that given most see him as a forward more than a ruck, but there may still be some doubts over his potential as a pure forward. We'll know more in the next couple of weeks as clubs let slip their intentions.

IMO a natural forward standing at 203cm would rip the TAC cup apart, If he wasn't dominant in the u18s he's going to struggle in the AFL as a KF, I think he'll end up being a ruck who can rest forward and you don't spend prime picks on those types (unless their freaks like NicNat),

A 18 year old at 203cm ripping the competition apart doesn't happen. It takes time to get the core strength when you get real tall real quick.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:43 pm

FWIW, over at BF, Knightmare has put a spanner in the works & is thinking of Mckenzie from Northern Knights for pick 5.

He is not averse to Laverde, Wright & some others but his preference if I read it correctly yesterday is for a "left field" clunk grab of mark, big hulk of a kid.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

A 18 year old at 203cm ripping the competition apart doesn't happen. It takes time to get the core strength when you get real tall real quick.

Mostly true, Daniher was a lot better than Wright at junior level though, I made the point earlier that tall KFs rarely make the grade no matter how promising they were as juniors, the position just doesn't suit guys of that height and the vast majority of young 200cm+ KFs break down, not one 200cm KF has kicked a ton.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
mavs5 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Interesting part of the HS today in the potential draft selection was the one about Melbourne at pick 3.
Rumors has them looking at Lever for pick 3.
That would leave it very interesting in regards to what GWS do with pick 4.
Any chance of McCartin slipping to us at pick 5???!?
Highly unlikely, but.......
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:00 pm

yeah I saw that... still I want Laverde tho... full of grunt and his attack on the ball looks exceptional from his highlights package
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Defender wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Mostly true, Daniher was a lot better than Wright at junior level though, I made the point earlier that tall KFs rarely make the grade no matter how promising they were as juniors, the position just doesn't suit guys of that height and the vast majority of young 200cm+ KFs break down, not one 200cm KF has kicked a ton.

Going back, there has barely ever been a key forward over 200cm. Salmon was the best and had a decent career. In the modern day, we won't be seeing 100 goals kicked by anyone very often.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:30 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Defender wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Defender wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Going back, there has barely ever been a key forward over 200cm. Salmon was the best and had a decent career. In the modern day, we won't be seeing 100 goals kicked by anyone very often.

In fact, the position of a permanent full forward has become defunct.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 pm

^And it's probably why McKenzie isn't expected to go top 10.

You could make the same case against McCartin as well to be fair but I guess he has more runs on the board and is seen as the better prospect at this stage.

If it wasn't for us getting Moore then Wright and McKenzie would be right in the mix for us you'd assume (the latter has a basketball background which would appeal to Hine) but it would seem unless McCartin somehow slips to 5 then we'll be taking a midfielder/flanker.

It seems like it's down to three in Laverde, De Goey and Langford as those most likely to be taken.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:49 am

mavs5 wrote:
Interesting part of the HS today in the potential draft selection was the one about Melbourne at pick 3.
Rumors has them looking at Lever for pick 3.
That would leave it very interesting in regards to what GWS do with pick 4.
Any chance of McCartin slipping to us at pick 5???!?
Highly unlikely, but.......

Said elsewhere that either 2x mids or a mid & Lever better suits their needs. Got Dawes, Hogan and a heap of ruck/forward options but a bit light on for KPDs. Recruited Frost which does help. Either way, I don't think the top 4 is as cut and dried as some suggest.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:12 am

While it's hardly a startling observation you get the feeling that Laverde, Langford and De Goey are the pool of talent that our selection at pick 5 will come from.

Weller, Ahern and Pickett can't be dismissed entirely from the conversation either but with us losing Beams it would appear we are after a player who has shown they can impact the scoreboard, is that taller type and has scope to play through the midfield in time.

Basically we are after the best Beams replacement going forward we can find at 5 and why the smaller but more pure midfielders in Weller and Ahern are likely to be overlooked.

P.S-In the unlikely scenario that McCartin slips to 5 it will make things all the more interesting in who we select. You would have to go for McCartin surely as to come out of the draft with potentially the two best key forward options is to good an opportunity to pass up.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:19 pm

swoop42 wrote:
While it's hardly a startling observation you get the feeling that Laverde, Langford and De Goey are the pool of talent that our selection at pick 5 will come from.

Weller, Ahern and Pickett can't be dismissed entirely from the conversation either but with us losing Beams it would appear we are after a player who has shown they can impact the scoreboard, is that taller type and has scope to play through the midfield in time.

Basically we are after the best Beams replacement going forward we can find at 5 and why the smaller but more pure midfielders in Weller and Ahern are likely to be overlooked.

P.S-In the unlikely scenario that McCartin slips to 5 it will make things all the more interesting in who we select. You would have to go for McCartin surely as to come out of the draft with potentially the two best key forward options is to good an opportunity to pass up.

nat fyffe, mundy, pendles etc are now the prototype midfielder. we have the smaller in and under types in abundance. we are building a reserve of the 190cm type midfielders and will likely have crisp and karnezis supporting pendles, greenwood and the other smaller mids.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:57 pm

We us seemingly going to overlook Wright the 3 that standout from the pack and appear worthy of a number 5 selection looking at there highlights package are Lever, Pickett and Laverde.

Langford might well belong in that company before to long and has some appeal being a bottom aged prospect. I like the way he moves and is obviously a very good mark. If he was one month younger he might well have been considered a certainty for top 5 this time next year. He has something this kid.

De Goey would be a safe solid selection at 5 but his highlights package isn't quite up to the level of the other 4 IMHO.

Still if Hine takes him then it's good enough for me.

P.S-I never thought I'd say this but even despite the concerns over his knee I'm warming to Lever. If it wasn't for him missing this season he could well have been the likely No.1 pick. His highlights package screams A grade talent to me.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:15 pm

swoop42 wrote:
We us seemingly going to overlook Wright the 3 that standout from the pack and appear worthy of a number 5 selection looking at there highlights package are Lever, Pickett and Laverde.

Langford might well belong in that company before to long and has some appeal being a bottom aged prospect. I like the way he moves and is obviously a very good mark. If he was one month younger he might well have been considered a certainty for top 5 this time next year. He has something this kid.

De Goey would be a safe solid selection at 5 but his highlights package isn't quite up to the level of the other 4 IMHO.

Still if Hine takes him then it's good enough for me.

P.S-I never thought I'd say this but even despite the concerns over his knee I'm warming to Lever. If it wasn't for him missing this season he could well have been the likely No.1 pick. His highlights package screams A grade talent to me.

spot on. Like langford at a bottom age player and Im also really warming to Lever. I think he is exactly what Melb and GWS need. Would not be surprised if either of these teams take him early.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Toby McLean.

Fair mark.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-07-14/chargers-incredible-tac-cup-screamer

You'd take him at 48 without question but he's unlikely to last till then.

At pick 30 there will be plenty of other quality players still available that might fill a more immediate need and aren't going to add to our midget brigade.

I think I'd take Rainbow or Gore ahead of him as an example.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 17 of 22   

Jump to: