Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Journalists and whistleblowers to be jailed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

1061 wrote:
David wrote:
Here's the link for anyone who's interested (which really should be everyone):

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2014B00166

27D is also relevant.

The thing is not everyone thinks Journo's are gods.

If a journo releases information that puts someone at risk of harm then they should have to pay for that.

It's called Consequence!

YEP

I take everything I read with a grain of salt, because all of them, every last one taints their work with their own opinion. So do you want the truth, or someone else's opinion?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am

^ No human being ever born is able to do anything other than that, so where is your problem?

It seems that you need to think a bit harder about what you mean by "truth" and how you might approach it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 am

HAL is always thinking.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:48 am

1061 wrote:
David wrote:
Here's the link for anyone who's interested (which really should be everyone):

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2014B00166

27D is also relevant.

The thing is not everyone thinks Journo's are gods.

If a journo releases information that puts someone at risk of harm then they should have to pay for that.

It's called Consequence!

As the Ackland article states, the prospect of imprisonment for journalists—and no, they don't need to put anyone at risk to be prosecuted—is only a small part of what makes this bill so terrifying. I encourage you to check out the scope of the data retention laws.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:56 am

Sorry but I'm just a simple person.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:08 am

You're also a citizen with a vote. Better for it to be an informed one than an uninformed one, surely.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:12 am

I try to improve a little every day.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ No human being ever born is able to do anything other than that, so where is your problem?

It seems that you need to think a bit harder about what you mean by "truth" and how you might approach it.

No I don't even need to think about it cos I truly don't care!

I'm happy with my own truths, and any truth I have doubts about I will truthfully try to find out the whole truth, and all the juicy bits besides the truth

Gods honest truth

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:55 pm

David wrote:
You're also a citizen with a vote. Better for it to be an informed one than an uninformed one, surely.

Oh yeah, really gunna change a vote because some journo, or parisite who lives off feeding the general public bullshit, half truths or just what he thinks everyone wants to hear, might pay for their sins.

Nup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Actually will this apply to Footy Journo's?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:09 pm

1061 wrote:
Actually will this apply to Footy Journo's?

Hopefully!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:59 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Oh yeah, really gunna change a vote because some journo, or parisite who lives off feeding the general public bullshit, half truths or just what he thinks everyone wants to hear, might pay for their sins.

Nup

How would you—or anyone—even know who to vote for if it wasn't for journalists? For the vast majority of us city-dwelling folk, at least, we only learn about the political parties and their policies through the news media. Beyond that, there's really just websites and advertising campaigns, both of which are 100% spin and neither of which anyone pays much attention to.

In this case, it's only the brave work of journalists that has allowed us (well, those of us who care) to learn about the extent of these anti-terror laws. This stuff can't be grasped through mere intuition; unless you're well-versed in law, it can be difficult to navigate through the online transcripts. Seriously, how else can you possibly know what's being done in our name? Without journalism you have no meaningful democracy.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 pm

[quote="David"]Richard Ackland on why there seems to be so much apathy in Australia about this issue (the response on this forum so far being a case in point):

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/08/stasi-like-data-retention-laws-shouldnt-progress-without-a-mass-uprising

Quote:
One of the charming, yet perplexing, Australian qualities is that most of the time we pay little to no attention to what politicians say or do.

Even though enormous screeds are written about what goes on in the nation’s capitals, generally speaking they are of supreme disinterest to people who decide the outcomes of elections. Maybe, this is natural for a country that for a couple of hundred years has largely been populated by sheep.

I get as far as the bolded bit before deciding he's a self important tool.

My understanding, and please feel free anyone to provide a concise rebuttal, is that the information required to be kept is already kept voluntarily and for varying lengths of time, and is already available to the feds.

What the legislation does is standardises that.

Your ISP already knows what web pages you visit and has them all recorded. FFS so do many private commercial entities based on the cookies their site leaves on your computer.

Your mobile phone provider knows who you sent and received texts and calls from, at what time and where you were when you did it (even if you turn off the GPS on your phone, your telco can map you to the nearest base station)

What's new?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Nup

How would you—or anyone—even know who to vote for if it wasn't for journalists? For the vast majority of us city-dwelling folk, at least, we only learn about the political parties and their policies through the news media. Beyond that, there's really just websites and advertising campaigns, both of which are 100% spin and neither of which anyone pays much attention to.

In this case, it's only the brave work of journalists that has allowed us (well, those of us who care) to learn about the extent of these anti-terror laws. This stuff can't be grasped through mere intuition; unless you're well-versed in law, it can be difficult to navigate through the online transcripts. Seriously, how else can you possibly know what's being done in our name? Without journalism you have no meaningful democracy.

David I'm all for strict anti terrorist laws, better to be safe than blown up by a nail bomb!

As for figuring out who to vote for thanks to 'brave (hahaha, unless they are in a war zone) ' journalists, bullshit, I just read nicks! For instance, I don't think we will vote to simular very often! Razz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Think I'd rather be blown up than survive a nail bomb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: