Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tough decisions need to be made now!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:59 pm
Post subject: Tough decisions need to be made now!Reply with quote

With us losing Beams IMO there's no way we'll be contending in the next 4 years, with the age of our next crop of guns due to peak in around 5-6 years (and the very strong possibility we'll be adding another kid with the Beams compo) I think we need to seriously consider trading Cloke, make no mistake about the fact we're in full rebuild mode now.

It is very unlikely Cloke will ever play in another Collingwood premiership, and if he does he'll be over 30 and in decline, why not trade him now for a primo DP and a young mid who we'll get 12 years service out of?

Tough times lay ahead folks, tough decisions need to be made now to best position ourselves for the future IMO.

I'll be happy to back Buckley 'if' he decides to take this path.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.

Last edited by Bob Sugar on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think losing Beams adjust the flag chances at all (I currently believe we're 3 seasons from being a top 4 contender anyway, if we recruit well). He's only one player, and as good as he is I do feel he's replaceable.

I don't however feel that it would be anywhere near as easy to replace Trav. For all his flaws he's still one of the most dangerous forwards in the comp and probably one of the best contested marks of the modern era. Whilst he could potentially be 30 by the time we're a serious threat again I think he could still consistently produce. Aging won't seriously effect his game as much as it would some others.

I'd hold onto him.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:06 pm

King Malta wrote:
I don't think losing Beams adjust the flag chances at all (I currently believe we're 3 seasons from being a top 4 contender anyway, if we recruit well). He's only one player, and as good as he is I do feel he's replaceable.

I don't however feel that it would be anywhere near as easy to replace Trav. For all his flaws he's still one of the most dangerous forwards in the comp and probably one of the best contested marks of the modern era. Whilst he could potentially be 30 by the time we're a serious threat again I think he could still consistently produce. Aging won't seriously effect his game as much as it would some others.

I'd hold onto him.

Beams hasn't peaked yet though, he's going to get better, so when you factor that into our forecast window it does hurt it.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:07 pm

King Malta wrote:

I'd hold onto him.

Yes, it will be much harder to replace Cloke than Beams. We need Cloke around until Darcy Moore takes Cloke's place down the track.
As much as I would hate to lose Beams, we can get fabulous value for him at this stage of his career to make it a win - win situation.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Defender wrote:
King Malta wrote:

I'd hold onto him.

Beams hasn't peaked yet though, he's going to get better, so when you factor that into our forecast window it does hurt it.

True, I think it definitely hurts it, don't get me wrong but I don't feel that it's enough to derail it so to speak.

I'm currently reserving judgment until I see what we get for him. We could potentially be better off long term if we play this right but we could also end up moon walking away from flag contention if we don't.

Maybe I'm higher on Cloke than some but I think he's a genuine beast who doesn't come along very often and that you should hold onto until he's finished.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:36 pm
Post subject: Re: Tough decisions need to be made now!Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
With us losing Beams IMO there's no way we'll be contending in the next 4 years, with the age of our next crop of guns due to peak in around 5-6 years (and the very strong possibility we'll be adding another kid with the Beams compo) I think we need to seriously consider trading Cloke, make no mistake about the fact we're in full rebuild mode now.

It is very unlikely Cloke will ever play in another Collingwood premiership, and if he does he'll be over 30 and in decline, why not trade him now for a primo DP and a young mid who we'll get 12 years service out of?

Tough times lay ahead folks, tough decisions need to be made now to best position ourselves for the future IMO.

Port Adelaide probably thought they were out of contention two years ago. Funny things can happen in football. Fewer injuries, players coming good, fresh recruiting and just an ounce of luck can change things. Worse thing we could do is trade Cloke, because trading Cloke would be illustrating that the club has no idea what it doing.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:40 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Defender wrote:

Port Adelaide probably thought they were out of contention two years ago. Funny things can happen in football. Fewer injuries, players coming good, fresh recruiting and just an ounce of luck can change things. Worse thing we could do is trade Cloke, because trading Cloke would be illustrating that the club has no idea what it doing.

I disagree, I'd go further.. trade out anyone older then 25 worth anything - don't kid yourself, we should now be in full rebuild mode.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:44 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Defender wrote:

SO true. It will be just like that weird decision by St. Kilda to trade Dal Santo and McEvoy last year..... Rolling Eyes
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Look, next year our Baby Pies are gonna be so young, some of us may have to go on Nanny duties down at the Club. ! What we really need, IMHO, is to recruit 2 senior guys, too help guide the young fledglings Pies. Now, if brad sewell misses out on the GF this week, hed be one id definitely want on, say, a 2 year deal, hed take over from Ball. We really need some experienced guys now, what wiith Beams leaving too, we will be the Leagues youngest Creche. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Az 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Look, next year our Baby Pies are gonna be so young, some of us may have to go on Nanny duties down at the Club. ! What we really need, IMHO, is to recruit 2 senior guys, too help guide the young fledglings Pies. Now, if brad sewell misses out on the GF this week, hed be one id definitely want on, say, a 2 year deal, hed take over from Ball. We really need some experienced guys now, what wiith Beams leaving too, we will be the Leagues youngest Creche. !

What a magnificent spit in the face to Bally that would be. Thanks Luke, but you're too old and you'll be playing a lot of VFL next year. Oh by the way, we'll be picking up your 30 year old mate Sewell who is also a slow paced insider with dodgy calfs and hamstrings.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

Agree we need experience which is why we will not trade Cloke or sack everyone over 25
Disagree on Sewell too frigging old
How many still want to get rid of Brown?

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:31 pm

neil wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Agree we need experience which is why we will not trade Cloke or sack everyone over 25
Disagree on Sewell too frigging old
How many still want to get rid of Brown?

Is he older then 25? Wink

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Mate Beams might have several reasons for leaving, but one of them is surely that he wants to play in another premiership. That is not likely to happen for a very long time at Collingwood.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:44 pm

I like Cloke, I think he will stay
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:46 pm

King Malta wrote:

KM didn't you want Aloisi out at Heart? Weren't you the one who appeared on TV and said he couldn't coach. You were right then of course. Why can't you see that Buckley = Aloisi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: