Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should Cloke be placed on the table?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What about trading Pendles inky? Rolling Eyes
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Pendlebury is almost a year younger and we do need to retain some older players. I vote for Scott and Clinton Wink. I think Pendlebury's the one untradeable player on our list, other than the kids who've not even had a chance yet.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:11 pm

And hey, I was ahead of the curve on dealing Beams before his contract is up. So who knows, Cloke could be next.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:41 pm

Absolutely, but first let me load up on Collingwood for the wooden spoon before we trade him because we will be top of the betting markets once we do
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:44 pm

What's wrong with that though? We aren't challenging for 3 years or so. The short term is longer our concern.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Well I don't think our list is so bad we need to bottom out for a couple of years.

If there was 1 player on the list who may still have some currency and very unlikely to feature in another Pies premiership it is Swanny, what do you reckon we could get form him?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Inky, time for a good lie down.

Cloke signs for 5 on less money than other clubs offered.
He initially chose Collingwood over Richmond too.
He's also had a disproportionate amount of focus from opposition as we've not had alternative marking targets.
We may have Reid and Clark to support him next season, making us a competitive threat again.
In the meantime, who teaches Darcy Moore the art of forward play?

Trading your good, loyal players out is a good way to slide down the ladder and lose members/support. Buckley wouldn't survive another poor year of performances. No way is this a viable option.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:20 pm

Albert Parker wrote:

Trading your good, loyal players out is a good way to slide down the ladder and lose members/support.

This argument I can accept, and it's a large part of why I'm not actually advocating a deal, just that it could be considered under certain circumstances. I really do think we're in a position where we need to be bold though. Morale and the fabric of our club already seems pretty low. Tearing it a little further with a clear plan of revitalisation is not going to do us much harm.

Watching the Grand Final today, talls are important, but not as important as a quality running midfield. Right now we are a long way from having one and need to be aggressive in improving. Moving Beams out will help if we can get the right replacements, but more needs to be done.

Unless we get a superstar for Beams, Cloke will be near the end of his career when we are ready to contend again. He is the highest value tradeable asset we have and a deal could elevate our list from young with good potential, to young with Premiership potential. Put it this way, if Cameron was on offer, dealing goes from maybe to mad not to (and yes I know he's not a midfielder Wink).

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:39 pm

I understand the logic An_Inkling but if we don't have Cloke up forward next year then we're in serious trouble and we'll be heading for a bottom four finish especially if Beams leaves as well.

I like the fact that most of our supporters realise the dominant era of 2010-2011 is over and we can't go back to those days with the current squad unless we plan and prepare for the future. It's important we keep evolving our list and adding youth to the list but at the same time it's crucial that we retain experienced players along the way like Cloke, Pendlebury and Swan to lead the way for these young guys or else culling too many experienced players at once could do greater damage than many may anticipate as we saw with Melbourne a few years ago for example.

I still think if everything goes according to plan Cloke could still be in our next side when we're contending in 4-5 years even if he hits the 30s by then.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm

I started the exact same thread on the main board only hours after the birth of this thread, great minds think alike.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Jezza wrote:
I understand the logic An_Inkling but if we don't have Cloke up forward next year then we're in serious trouble and we'll be heading for a bottom four finish especially if Beams leaves as well.

I like the fact that most of our supporters realise the dominant era of 2010-2011 is over and we can't go back to those days with the current squad unless we plan and prepare for the future. It's important we keep evolving our list and adding youth to the list but at the same time it's crucial that we retain experienced players along the way like Cloke, Pendlebury and Swan to lead the way for these young guys or else culling too many experienced players at once could do greater damage than many may anticipate as we saw with Melbourne a few years ago for example.

I still think if everything goes according to plan Cloke could still be in our next side when we're contending in 4-5 years even if he hits the 30s by then.

You say it like finishing bottom 4 is a bad thing, IMO we need to take our medicine now to best position ourselves for the future, I for one don't want to hang around the 8 for the next 3-4 years with no chance at a flag, I want the dynasty we were robbed of.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Defender wrote:
Jezza wrote:

You say it like finishing bottom 4 is a bad thing, IMO we need to take our medicine now to best position ourselves for the future, I for one don't want to hang around the 8 for the next 3-4 years with no chance at a flag, I want the dynasty we were robbed of.

Think 2004 and 2005, that enabled the 2006-2013 period to eventuate. Bottom 4 in 2015 isn't the end of the world.

We may well need it again given our age profile. We don't yet have the Port youngster quality to rebound quick, but we can by 2016.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:52 pm

They club aren't planning for bottom 4 in 2015 so let's put that to bed right now. They expect to be heading in the other direction straight away.

We've brought in a lot of young talent the last two seasons already and will do so again this season should Beams leave.

We've sacrificed our short term hopes on the promise of a brighter future, we're so young already and Christ it's not like our list was in such bad shape at the end of 2011 that a major rebuild was needed.

We've got to get better with our drafting of recycled players and be prepared to put our hands in our pockets for some quality free agents.

Salary cap doesn't seem to be a concern for the cats or hawks, hell even Essendon so where the **** is all our money going?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:59 pm

^^A sound alternative plan. It will all come down to a detailed assessment of exactly where our list is at and where it could potentially be at the end of the trade period.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:10 am

Defender wrote:
Jezza wrote:

If we finish bottom 4 it won't necessarily be a bad thing as long as we draft well, but if we stay down there with little improvement like Melbourne or Richmond for so many years then I'll be worried.

We haven't even reached this stage so maybe I was a little premature on my behalf.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: