Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate Science not settled

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:47 pm
Post subject: Climate Science not settledReply with quote

Interesting article highlighting the complexities and uncertainties inherent in this issue.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/climate-science-is-not-settled-1411143565
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the first half. Interesting, seems sensible, I'll take the stats for granted.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Rupert Murdoch prints climate change denial opinion of a former global oil company executive who has no qualifications in climate science.

What could possibly go wrong? Well, lots actually. See for yourself: http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2014/09/20/on-eve-of-climate-march-wsj-publishes-call-to-wait-and-do-nothing/

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:14 pm

As usual Tannin plays the man and blames Murdoch - nothing new there.

Koonin's analysis is far better than the response linked by Tannin.

People can read both and draw their own conclusions.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Read the first half. Interesting, seems sensible, I'll take the stats for granted.

Could you please explain what strikes you as sensible about it?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:28 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
As usual Tannin plays the man and blames Murdoch

I made three key points in bold. Let's review them.

1: Published by Rupert Murdoch, notorious climate denying newspaper baron. Undeniable fact.

2: Written by a former global oil company executive. Undeniable fact.

3: The writer has no qualifications in climate science. Undeniable fact.

Three points, each one a simple, undeniable fact; each one readily verifiable. But this, according to TBF's hysterical response, is "playing the man".

Yeah right.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
As usual Tannin plays the man and blames Murdoch - nothing new there.

Koonin's analysis is far better than the response linked by Tannin.

People can read both and draw their own conclusions.

It's childish idiocy, that's why.

For a start, to refer to your purposefully misleading thread title, no science is certain at all whatsoever. But that's doesn't stop us acting in accordance with assumptions derived from it. This is because the word "science" is irrelevant; basically it's the best thinking we have as a collective species on a topic, and the best thinking we have as a species is all there is.

To quote the response Tannin refers to:

The only uncertainty in climate projections concerns the difference between harmful warming and catastrophic warming.

Second, the author employs a long list of fraudulent implicatures as your own which no one serious would publish (don't confuse well-written by a PR agency with serious rational problem solving on a specific question), as if our current knowledge is not far better than chance, which it is. Better than chance is, again, the best thinking we have as a species beyond tea leaves and witch doctors.

1. Here is John and friends. They represent the best thinking we have as a species on a certain topic which has been studied deeply for half a century or more (and beyond).

2. Here is Rupert and a few stragglers and the odd eccentric, but mostly with people sponsored specifically by the fossil fuel industry for the task. Rupert knows how to make money from irritating gossip media that excites extremists and upsets everyone else.

3. As a responsible human, subject to the constraints of professionalism and my own personal pride (and of course wanting to avoid being charged with the crime of gross negligence for violently harming others!), I will....

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Why waste your time? Nobody is going to change their minds here.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:06 am

As usual TBF leads with an incorrect premise on which to base a silly thread (again).

The title to the thread ought to read:

Climate Science not settled for non climate scientists & in reality only for a very small section of the science community.

Quick, lets get Murray Newman, Dick Warburton & Pastor Pete Curtis for their expert opinions Rolling Eyes

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:36 am

TBF will still be doubting this science when average night-time winter temperatures at Mawson Station reach 150C: "Don't worry, it's all cyclical...."
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:19 am

I wonder if Tannin bothered to read any of the responses in the link he posted? Like this one...

PhysicistDave says:

September 21, 2014 at 7:55 am

I am a physicist -- Ph.D. from Stanford, 1983. I have followed Steve Koonin's career as a highly respected computational physicist for four decades.

It is relevant that Prof. Koonin was "undersecretary for science in the Energy Department during President Barack Obama's first term [emphasis added]." He is not some crazy anti-science right-wing kook. (Indeed, I suspect the wing-nuts will soon be attacking him as a left-winger who has failed to reveal the true secrets behind the climate-change conspiracy!)

Those of us in the scientific community who are by no means "denialists" are going to take seriously Koonin's analysis that the global-climate models are not as definitive as often claimed.

You may not care what actual scientists think, but Koonin's column is going to have a significant impact among working scientists.

Dave Miller in Sacramento

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:24 am

Did you think he was some crazy anti-science right-wing kook?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Skids wrote:
I wonder if Tannin bothered to read any of the responses in the link he posted? Like this one...

PhysicistDave says:

I am a physicist -- Ph.D. from Stanford, 1983. I have followed Steve Koonin's career as a highly respected computational physicist for four decades.

It is relevant that Prof. Koonin was "undersecretary for science in the Energy Department during President Barack Obama's first term [emphasis added]." He is not some crazy anti-science right-wing kook. (Indeed, I suspect the wing-nuts will soon be attacking him as a left-winger who has failed to reveal the true secrets behind the climate-change conspiracy!)

Those of us in the scientific community who are by no means "denialists" are going to take seriously Koonin's analysis that the global-climate models are not as definitive as often claimed.

You may not care what actual scientists think, but Koonin's column is going to have a significant impact among working scientists.

Dave Miller in Sacramento

Given at last check Tannin had a pulse, I am sure he and the KFC Car Park Carnivorous Fanged Gulls he was photographing carrying off entire unsuspecting families to craggy lairs on the coast yesterday would've noticed that industry appointments from British Petroleum to the Imperial Department of Energy, particularly high-ranking appointments who were British Petroleum's Chief Scientist from 2004-2009, with a doctorate in computational physics earned in 1975, are not also divinely bestowed with "working" expertise in climate science, and certainly not "working" expertise free of the taint of brent crude.

Or does Dave Miller in Sacramento have the version of Koonan's resume which was stolen from the dusty basement of a secret Greenpeace training camp in Yemen where it was hidden in the skull of the once last living Queen of Sheba's Gazelle, shot dead by Greenpeace founder Irving Stowe who started the organisation solely as a public relations front and conscience salve to cover his dastardly deed?

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Skids wrote:

PhysicistDave says:

Tannin wouldn't bother reading all of the responses in the link because...

Errr is this ""PhysicistDave" you mentioned, I reviewed him.

This is just under the homepage heading.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man".

(The church would never tell/order people what to do, think, say or what happens to them if they deviate from doctrine/dogma).

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 23, 2009
http://homeschoolingphysicist.blogspot.com.au/search/label/climate%20change
The End of American Hegemony?
Bye-Bye, Copenhagen and Obama; Hello, Beijing!
Much of the discussion of the collapse of the Copenhagen Climate Summit has missed the real story: the collapse of the climate conference symbolizes a significant turning point in world history, not simply because of the issue of global warming, but rather because it represents the collapse of American leadership in the world.

More from the same article by "phyidsicistDave".

Twenty years from now, the whole Copenhagen fiasco, possibly the whole issue of global warming, will be a distant memory, rather like earlier environmentalist frauds such as the supposedly disastrous population explosion.

Climate change is NOT the real prob.
Not when US leadership and prestige is at stake.

Here is his election prediction from 2012.

"Election-Day Prediction: Romney With A Substantial Win (I Think)
A Romney win: 53 to 47 in the popular vote; 295 to 243 in the Electoral College".
I give Romney the obvious states plus Colorado, Ohio, New Hampshire, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Im a reluctant Romney supporter: I favored Ron Paul in the primaries, and I am doubtful that Romney and Ryan understand the magnitude of the task they face an unsound monetary system, a dependency society that cannot possibly survive long-term.
A culture vehemently opposed to serious learning, a chattering class committed to fads ranging from Waiting for Superman to catastrophic climate change (yes, as a physicist, I know that the globe has warmed, but it is an open scientific question as to how large future warming will be), etc.

This bloke considers himself a political and climate change expert.
Strange he couldn't predict which way the political wind was blowing.

His "homeschooling sounds more like what you'd read in a seminary on Capital hill.

Quote;
There is also a tendency nowadays to view natural rights as simply an old-fashioned religious concept, inappropriate to our modern secular age.
Again, the Founders disagreed.
Of course, anyone who believes in God will believe that everything from natural rights to quarks and neutron stars are, ultimately, due to God.

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by 3.14159 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:08 pm

3.14159 wrote:

This bloke considers himself a political and climate change expert.
Strange he couldn't predict which way the political wind was blowing.

:

He's Tannin Question

Who is Climate science watch?... at least the author of the link I posted had a name you could google.

On eve of climate march, Wall Street Journal publishes call to wait and do nothing

Posted on September 20, 2014 by Climate Science Watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13   

Jump to: