Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate Science not settled

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Nice smear attempt, Baldy, but you'll convince no-one so long as you insist on attacking fully referenced, detailed, readily verifiable sources, nor while you constantly duck the inconvienent facts such as (in this case) the fact that your paid-off blogger continues to claim credentials which he not only never had, but which don't even exist at the institution he once worked for.

Smear attempt, coming from you Tannin - and you said that with a straight face!

Not trying to convince anyone.

People can View the links and make up their own minds.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:20 pm

^ Not refuted because you can't refute it 'coz it's true.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:03 pm

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Cool. Do they have one about the gravity cult? Or the quantum physics cult?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

David wrote:

Show me all the people profiting from gravity or those who are disputing it? Show me even one scientist who disputes gravity and I'll look into his work and get back to you.

Ditto quantum physics, but don't come at me with dissenting scientists (no idea if there are any) because I don't want to spend the next 3 days researching quantum physics to win an internet argument.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Gravity was discovered* 300 years ago. It took quite a while for the knowledge to be accepted.

Evolution was discovered about 170 years ago. It took quite a while for the knowledge to be accepted and, as usual, those former "experts" who were unable to modify their ideas in the face of strong new evidence had to die off and be replaced by younger, more flexibly minded men. Even today, there are still loony die-hards bravely denying overwhelming evidence - many of these loons are also prominent climate deniers - but very few scientists, and practically no scientists with relevant expertise.

Germ theory was discovered about 150 years ago. It took quite a while for the knowledge to be accepted and, as usual, those former "experts" who were unable to modify their ideas in the face of strong new evidence had to die off and be replaced by younger, more flexibly minded men. It has slowly won broad acceptance amongst the general public, but to this day there are weird people who still don't get it.

Continental drift was discovered about 100 years ago. It took quite a while for the knowledge to be accepted and, as usual, those former "experts" who were unable to modify their ideas in the face of strong new evidence had to die off and be replaced by younger, more flexibly minded men. It wasn't fully accepted by scientists until about 30 years ago, and still hasn't fully percolated through into the popular mind. These things take time.

Quantum physics was discovered less than 100 years ago. It took quite a while for the knowledge to be accepted. It was massively controversial for the first 50 years or so and remains disputed to this day, albeit to a rapidly diminishing extent. Partly this can be ascribed to the overwhelming success of all manner of technologies which depend on the understanding of quantum interactions for their very function (including, for example, the screen you are reading these words on), but as always, a very large part of the modern consensus stems from the mere passage of the years and, one by one, the death of the old guard physicists who couldn't get their minds around it. (Einstein himself, despite having possibly the finest mind of the century, was just a little bit too old for quantum theory and never quite managed to come to terms with it.) Practically no-one without scientific training is able to understand erven the basics of quantum physics and it is perhaps unreasonable to expect it to ever enter the public consciousness unless we somehow dramarically improve the standard of secondary science education.

Climate science was discovered less than 50 years ago, and only accepted by most scientific experts around 20 years ago. Some - a remarkably small number given the recent nature of the discoveries - continue to hold fast to their old views despite the mountain of evidence and, as always, we will have to wait for them to die off. As with so many other great discoveries, the public understanding lags well behind that of the experts.

* I'm using the term "discovered" as shorthand for "first understood in terms recognisably similar to modern scientific understanding".

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Wokko wrote:
Show me all the people profiting from ....

Quite so. Compare with climate science, where it's hard to get a low-paying job researching it (lots of other applicants gunning for those same appointments), and piss-easy to get a very high-paying job pretending that it doesn't exist. There are massive amounts of money on the table from dozens of extremist lobby groups like the Heartland Institute (just to mention one example among many), and it's very encouraging to see, given the huge temptations on offer, just how very, very few scientifically qualified individuals are prepared to take the money and deny what they know is true.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm

There is an insane amount of money in climate change. Here's some graphs on the amounts spent only by the US Government.

http://joannenova.com.au/2009/07/massive-climate-funding-exposed/

Anything provided by oil companies or whoever the latest bugbear may be is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions poured into climate change science and tech from governments. Do you think any scientist working for an institution that receives millions in government funding to prove anthropogenic climate chage is going to come out and say "nope, not happening".

Are climate scientists who have received these millions and built careers pushing this stuff going to come out and say "oops, I was wrong". No, because science is a field that is full of money, ego and corruption just like any other.

Meanwhile skeptics, dissenters and questioners are shut out of funding, ridiculed for even studying and questioning and fired from positions.

I don't usually bring up this stuff because I'd rather play the ball than the man, but this "deniers funded blah blah" shit keeps being trotted out and the money flows much more freely towards those toeing the line.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Sigh. You really need to do your research before you repeat rubbish like that. May I recommend this article as an introduction"

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/05/accusations-that-climate-science-is-money-driven-reveal-ignorance-of-how-science-is-done/

Or this: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-money-changes-climate-debate/

Or this: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dark-money-funds-climate-change-denial-effort/

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Exxon. In the words of Eric Idle "say no more".
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:10 am

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:

Show me all the people profiting from gravity or those who are disputing it? Show me even one scientist who disputes gravity and I'll look into his work and get back to you.

Ditto quantum physics, but don't come at me with dissenting scientists (no idea if there are any) because I don't want to spend the next 3 days researching quantum physics to win an internet argument.

You want to know who profits from the theory of gravity. Let's see: firstly, you have the scientists purely engaged in that field, teaching physics or researching it. Secondly, you have the people who devote their professional lives to researching and developing technology dependent on the theory of gravity, such as employees of NASA. Then you have people in the corporate sector working on projects that depend upon acceptance of the theory of gravity. It's a lucrative business.

You want to see the dissent? Well there isn't any, of course, because gravity is accepted as fact in the mainstream scientific community, and there are no powerful industries or interest groups who would gain from it being disproved. Of course, things were very different back when the idea of the Earth revolving around the sun or humans evolving from fish challenged the authority of the church, but there's not much to be gained from challenging such a universally accepted truth now. Contrast with the relatively new science of climate change, and the entire industries whose very survival depend on it being false, and you can see the motivation.

The cartoon above notes the supposed similarities between a religious cult and contested scientific fact, but it fails to acknowledge that all science works like that. Of course consensuses are eventually reached, and of course cranks who oppose them are mocked. But of course the same people who mock 'libtards' for defending the established science of climate change (or evolution, or any science that conflicts with their interests) would be the first to mock someone doubting 'round earth theory' or gravity. It's because people who do that are crazy.

Last edited by David on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 am

You'll never get the politics out of science. Galileo had some problems of that nature, as did Socrates. In a sense, it does not matter if different views and hypotheses are tested, as long as data is accurate and as long as there are scientists whose prime loyalty is to science and not to the political interests of their funding source. Happily, the truth will out, and lots of people I trust say that this is a real risk. Even people I know who work for large oil companies accept that it's very likely, and accept that they need to develop strategy in light of that fact (eg by getting out of coal and into natural gas).

I'm doubtful that governments want to see climate change proven. Most politicians woudl be delighted to clear their desks of an issue that presents no end of possible headaches re energy, economic, and international affairs etc. I am sceptical of the tendency for government to enlarge itself at the citizen's expense, but I don't sense that govt funding on this issue demands a one-way answer.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 am

The pressure on dissenters to conform is enormous, here's an article about a scientist whose views I largely subscribe to (Earth warming, humans have some impact, earth has been warmer in the past, worry about dealing with that, not trying to stop it).

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/us/skeptic-of-climate-change-john-christy-finds-himself-a-target-of-suspicion.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1&referrer=

Money and grants are incredibly important to established sciences, both in University, government science institutes like the CSIRO. Those who question global warming orthodoxy are harrassed, ostracized, defamed (always accused of accepting money from Big Oil...always) and often fired or have their contract not renewed.

Denying that scientists are under enormous pressure NOT to question the Climate Change orthodoxy is exactly like denying Gravity or a spherical Earth because unlike climate science, we're not relying on computer models or flawed and tweaked data sets, we have the scientists themselves telling us what is happening. The green brigade just don't want to hear it.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 am

thebaldfacts wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I think we should all disprove global warming by going outside and recognizing that its only 21 today.

Actually that is evidence for global warming. If it is too hot, too cold, just right, flooding, drought, more hurricanes, less hurricanes, it all proves global warming.

One day we may even get the IPCC model's get a prediction right.

Aint that the truth. Every cyclone season we hear how big, bad and extreme the cyclone season is going to be .... well, I'll be fcut .... it's nearly over and how many have we had ...... not even one!
Yep, it's coz of global warming Laughing

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:41 am

David wrote:

The cartoon above notes the supposed similarities between a religious cult and contested scientific fact, but it fails to acknowledge that all science works like that.

Well, except for the bit about "you believe in things you can't see or prove"... that's quite a difference between a religious cult and science.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13   

Jump to: