Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welfare

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should all citizens be granted a minimum standard of living?
Yes, unconditionally.
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
Only if they are pulling their weight or are physically/mentally incapable of doing so.
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
No. We are not entitled to anything from our government.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please specify in post).
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:40 am
Post subject: WelfareReply with quote

Following the budget, and a somewhat heated argument with Stui and Jo on Facebook, I thought I'd put this here for further discussion.

To be clear, this is not a thread about the budget or the specific measures contained therein. We already have a couple of threads on that. What I want to discuss is a basic principle that, to be honest, I thought was enshrined in modern Australia: the concept of social security. I didn't think we would reach a stage in my lifetime where we would be seriously debating this, but here we are. Let's discuss it.

'Welfare' seems to be a bit of a dirty word, but I was discussing this with a friend this evening and it came up that people very rarely think about what the word means. Here's the opening line from the Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare

Quote:
Welfare is the provision of a minimal level of well-being and social support for all citizens

I have always viewed this as a fundamental concept in modern liberal democratic societies. What it says is this: it does not matter who you are. It does not matter what you've done. It does not matter how much you contribute to society. It does not matter how much we think you 'deserve' it. You are guaranteed a minimum standard of living—entitled to it, if you like.

Now, we might debate what a minimum standard of living is (I would hazard a guess that it comprises at the very least regular meals, a roof over your head and access to medical services), but that's beside the point. For me, it's a pretty clear question: should such a guarantee be universal, or should there be provisions where it can be removed?

If you argue the latter, then you need to accept the consequences of that. If there are real provisions for a person to be offered no support, then that means that there will be cases where people receive no support. And that will mean—unless they can accept charity from friends or family, not something that everyone can count upon—that they go without.

An issue that is close to my heart is the welfare of prisoners. Now, I don't know of any time in our history where prisoners have been denied a minimum standard of living. Even under much harsher regimes than today's, they were fed, clothed and sheltered (and, as with social welfare, we paid for it with out taxes). Remember, this includes people who have actually gone out and broken our society's basic codes: people like murderers, rapists, thugs and armed robbers.

After a particularly horrible crime, people will say stuff like "lock him up and throw away the key", but it's not something that most of us would actually endorse: as far as I know, there are no political campaigns out there (even on the far right) to stop feeding prisoners.

I ask you this: if you believe that there are certain conditions where citizens ought to be denied welfare support—because they can't find a job, or keep getting fired, or just can't be bothered looking—how can you justify treating 'lazy' people worse than murderers and rapists?

People talk about incentives. I agree with that principle: our society has to provide some kind of financial incentive for working. That to me is the whole point of a minimum standard of living. It is not, by definition, a comfortable or easy life. It's a life where you have just enough.

I also agree that the prospect of not being fed makes for a jolly good incentive. For that matter, the prospect of not being subjected to mediaeval torture devices would make for an even better incentive. But we need to ask ourselves this: is there a point where incentives need to take a back seat to a commonly agreed upon minimum standard of living?

My view is this: I do not want to live in a country where the unemployed—'deserving' and 'undeserving' alike—are left to fend for themselves. I believe strongly in the principle of welfare and a minimum standard of living for all. Do you?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add some context to this poll.

The specific situation that was being argued by David, TP and myself was about people who do not want to work being eligible for welfare. Let me say that again so there's no misunderstanding, people who DO NOT WANT to work.

Not people who are injured, ill, have a disability or any of the myriad other reasons why people may find themselves unable to work, but people who actively choose that they do not want to work.

Our welfare system is geared toward supporting people who are unable to work. To get unemployment benefits people are required to provide some form of evidence that they are actively seeking employment, even if it is bullshit. While the test has changed over the years the principle has not in my lifetime.

Now I'm not going to unpack all the potential consequences both economically and societal that David's proposal could lead to, I'll let people mull that over and come up with their own thoughts.

But, for those people who check the box saying that everyone deserves a minimum standard of living, unconditionally, that means that you agree with David that people have no responsibility to even try contribute to their own standard of living. It is perfectly valid for a person who is perfectly capable of working and supporting themself to simply say that they don't want to work, put out their hand and we will pay them welfare. I don't believe that.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:06 am

Stui, in theory I agree with you. But in practice, it's probably cheaper to just pay a very low minimum living allowance to anyone who asks for it. I'm not talking luxury here, I'm talking a very basic at-or-below subsistence payment. No hordes of public servants to administer it - that saving alone is huge - and because the payment is set so low you can be very confident that close to 100% of it will be spent each week, which is good for the retail sector. We also save money through somewhat lower crime rates, and improve the education system by allowing disruptive, uninterested students to drop out and let the ones who want to learn get on with it. Remember, this is a very low payment, not really enough to live on, but anyone can have it if they want it. The only requirement is that you prove your identity so as to prevent people claiming it twice under different names. Because it is so low, not many people will want to stay on it for any length of time.

For those who can't work (because of, for example, illness, disability, or really want to get a job but none is available), the payment should be enough to live on. No ifs, no buts, enough to live on.

As a rough guide, the current unemployment benefit level is about right for the as-of-right payment, and the current old age pension level about right for the other one.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:23 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'd like to add some context to this poll.

The specific situation that was being argued by David, TP and myself was about people who do not want to work being eligible for welfare. Let me say that again so there's no misunderstanding, people who DO NOT WANT to work.

Not people who are injured, ill, have a disability or any of the myriad other reasons why people may find themselves unable to work, but people who actively choose that they do not want to work.

Our welfare system is geared toward supporting people who are unable to work. To get unemployment benefits people are required to provide some form of evidence that they are actively seeking employment, even if it is bullshit. While the test has changed over the years the principle has not in my lifetime.

Now I'm not going to unpack all the potential consequences both economically and societal that David's proposal could lead to, I'll let people mull that over and come up with their own thoughts.

But, for those people who check the box saying that everyone deserves a minimum standard of living, unconditionally, that means that you agree with David that people have no responsibility to even try contribute to their own standard of living. It is perfectly valid for a person who is perfectly capable of working and supporting themself to simply say that they don't want to work, put out their hand and we will pay them welfare. I don't believe that.

Well you are happy for people to live on the Streets and have no support what so ever and If they Die well Bad Luck.

I agree they don’t deserve as much as some who is Injured or has a Disability but they still need a bit of help/

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:24 am

Go ahead, Dave The Man, try to say that so there's no misunderstanding people who DO NOT WANT to work.
Museman 

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm

People actively seeking work deserve a whole lot better than they are getting for a start, if the protypes figures are somewhere near right, $400 per fortnight.
I want to meet the idiot who come up with this number and thinks somehow a person could survive on this.

And whats an MP take home? near enough 200k annually.

Are we fooked in the head?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks Stui, I think that's more or less the crux of the argument.

It's interesting that you say that welfare has always been conditional. I understand that you can be suspended from Newstart for short periods, but I'm pretty sure that that's not an indefinite thing, and that Centrelink would still give you an advance if you were to claim hardship. But perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can explain whether Australia's pre-Abbott welfare policy was more 'conditional' than 'unconditional'.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm

I'd have to look it up David but my recollection is it has always been similar, they will cut you off if you don't meet the compliance requirements and they don't just suspend you, they cut you off and you may need to re apply. Bugger all has changed at Centrelink under Abbott in the 6 months or whatever since the election.

At the risk of railroading the thread, the amount payable currently varies quite a bit depending on individual circumstances. Newstart for job seekers is currently up to $510 fn for a single with up to another $120 for rent assistance. Obviously people who live at home with mum and dad get less.

For those interested you can figure out the rates here https://www.centrelink.gov.au/RateEstimatorsWeb/publicUserCombinedStart.do

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Obviously people who live at home with mum and dad get less.

Not if they're smart and get Mum and Dad to write out a rent receipt!
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:51 pm

What do you have that is it?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:25 pm

David wrote:
It's interesting that you say that welfare has always been conditional. I understand that you can be suspended from Newstart for short periods, but I'm pretty sure that that's not an indefinite thing, and that Centrelink would still give you an advance if you were to claim hardship. But perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can explain whether Australia's pre-Abbott welfare policy was more 'conditional' than 'unconditional'.

Wow!

David, you can and do get suspended from unemployment benefit, and have it canceled, and if you get canceled you then face a very long wait for it to restart with no income of any kind at all (apart from prostituting yourself or turning to crime) and there is no back-pay. Special hardship payments are made, but they are very rare and always miniscule relative to the need. The details change a bit now and then, nearly always to make it even harder, but this basic system was in before Abbott came to power, it was in before Gillard came to power, it was in before Rudd came to power, it was in before Howard came to power, it was in before Keating came to power, and it was in before Hawke came to power. It was probably much the same under Whitlam, McMahon, Gorton, Holt and Menzies, but my memory doesn't go that far back.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:05 pm

OK, well I'm happy to take your word for it. The question is, then, should this be the case?

Personally, I think we are a wealthy enough country to afford to ensure a universal minimum standard of living. As a taxpayer, it's a privilege I'd be happy to help subsidise.

Last edited by David on Mon May 19, 2014 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:19 pm

1061 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Obviously people who live at home with mum and dad get less.

Not if they're smart and get Mum and Dad to write out a rent receipt!

What Happens if they help pay the Bills with there Pension or Wage?

HAL 

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:21 pm

[quote] What Happens if they help pay the Bills with there Pension
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:21 pm

To add to what Tannin said on the cost of administration, if you were to genuinely assess the mental health of people who "don't want to be productive" (a more rational economic term than "work") you'd end up paying far more for medical treatment or training anyhow.

The vast bulk of people who "don't want to be productive" are highly likely to have some sort of mental malady, even if mild and eminently treatable. The urban mythology surrounding "laziness" is simply too ignorant of human psychiatry to recognise it. There are forms of narcissism, for instance, which look like "laze" or "snobbery", but are in fact representations of a seriously damaged self.

Also, people often confuse "paid work" with "productivity". People who stay home and look after children, or those who volunteer in the community, are being "productive", which is all that matters to the economy as a whole.

If you want to move certain people into specific forms of productivity, you have to train them and/or run campaigns to do that. That's a different story again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11   

Jump to: