Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Professor Dumpster - A year in a 2mx2m bin

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:12 am
Post subject: Professor Dumpster - A year in a 2mx2m binReply with quote

Great experiential experiment:

news.com.au wrote:
JEFF Wilson became known as Professor Dumpster after he moved into a bin for a year.

The environmental science lecturer has now left his unusual, 2x2m living quarters — but he says it wasn’t rubbish at all.

Prof Wilson, from Austin, Texas, claims he was liberated by living in the cramped dumpster on campus at Huston-Tillotson University.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/professor-dumpster-is-home-after-a-year-spent-living-in-2x2m-bin/story-fneuz5ql-1227233957030

Aside from just being a cool (or very warm!) test, this part really resonated with the culture shock of moving from between an Aussie or US suburb to very high-density parts of Asia:

news.com.au wrote:
“Having less space clears a lot of noise in your life. I spent more time in the community and on campus. I cut my commute from 30 minutes to 30 seconds, and my rent was almost nothing. I found myself thinking outside the box from within the box.”

When it comes to major cultural differences, people usually can't imagine in advance the upsides which have to be included in calculations. I've spent many hours preparing folk to brace themselves for the loneliness of the suburbs, because that geography and lifestyle just doesn't give you the same warm urban atmosphere and sense of belonging (often leading to depression, disappointment and isolation). Or, conversely, preparing folk to deal with others in their Western-defined personal space when they head from the suburbs to urban Asia (those pushes on the streets are neither malicious, nor insulting, even if hard to endure!).

And no, I'm not recommending 2mx2m spaces or dissing the pleasures of ensuites, walk-in wardrobes, walk-around kitchen benches, and backyard pool parties! I am pointing out the hidden positives we usually fail to add to our assessment of other ways of living.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a friend in the USA that posts a lot of "small space" houses, and container houses. Make a great holiday home, don't know if I could live in one! Not as part of a family anyway! I like my own space. Good to see the professor doing it since that's his subject. But it's really a small bedroom, he's not "living" in it, any more than students living on campus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: