Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Age Profile

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:37 pm
Post subject: Age ProfileReply with quote

Back to bore you with more statistics. This time I'm looking at the age profile of teams in 2014. The "Profile Rating" is based on the first table, ie. how many games were played by players in each age range (it's a simplistic calculation and should be used as a guide only - do not use it as a basis to sack your club's coach).

Percentage of total games played in 2014 by age range.

Age range of players who played 5 games or more in 2014.

Our age profile's looking pretty good for a team on the build, especially if you consider we had two highly rated teenagers miss the whole season. We've got a good number of games into players below 24 and have not wasted too many spots on players over 28. We'll lose at least Maxwell and Ball for next year, and I'd hope to see Dwyer play less games as well. At 28 he's not going to be part of our future.

The interesting thing for me with these stats is that despite common thought there are only three teams that have not been adequately planning for the future: Fremantle, Sydney and Carlton. The Hawks and the Cats have been getting quite a few games into players under 24 (the Cats with exactly the same percentage as us), so they have a definite plan for the future. The thing that they'll have to manage is the loss of the players over 28. This is more of a problem for the Cats (10) than the Hawks (8) at this stage.

If we're looking at which team is about to go over a cliff, Freo is clearly the one with most to be concerned about. The range of profile rating is fairly small but Freo are a massive 6 points behind the next worst team in Sydney. We know Ross doesn't like to play kids but I had thought there was a better mix at the Dockers than that.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, let us get back to business.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Good analysis INK and pretty much backs up my feelings on a number of sides.

1. That Port Adelaide are showing that age is no excuse if you have some talented and hungry players all united behind a good coach with a sound game plan and an excellent fitness and recovery system in place.

For the second year running Port ended the season with little of there best 22 on the sidelines and full of run.

They are who we need to aspire to become next season.

2. That Geelong are far from a spent force.

Yes they lack for players in the mid range age bracket so there list is somewhat unbalanced but with F/A and smart recruiting they should be able to minimise the damage to a degree. Hard to replace genuine champions of the game though. They had 13 players aged 23 and under in there semi-final loss so they've got an eye on the future no doubt yet remain good enough to finish top 4. Respect.

3. That Hawthorn are the new Geelong.

A perfectly balanced aged list that like Geelong before them is successful at both AFL and VFL level. Despite some genuine A graders in Hodge and Mitchell nearing the end you'd be a fool to think they wont be in serious contention for years to come. Only weak link perhaps lack of young key position talls especially in defence.

4. That Sydney are striking while the iron is hot.

The COLA swans have a distinct advantage that's helped them secure Franklin and Tippett the last two seasons running but it would be selling them short to believe that was the only reason there playing off for the flag. They're a quality run club with an excellent coach and a culture the envy of most. They appear to be able to make average players good and good players great. If they win the flag for the second time in three years next week I don't think they'd be to worried about there age profile. They look to me to still have plenty of quality young kids coming through anyway.

5. That Fremantle may have missed there window.

Going to be hard for Lyon to find that something extra next season to take his side all the way with such an aging list.
They've probably got one more chance to win the flag next year but would need everything to go right on the injury front.

6. That Carlton are no chance in the short to medium term.

Bottom of the ladder with one of the oldest lists is a double whammy for good old Mick and the scum. Isn't it great.

It's fair to say that the top 4 teams I've talked about above have all outperformed the pies on and off the field the last 2 seasons, there in the position most imagined we would be capable of at the end of 2011.

No doubt we've fallen behind the leading pack now and need to start making up ground again in 2015.

Over to you bucks.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:30 am

Two great posts. Thanks guys. Unless major steps are taken, Freo in a few years time will be fighting MM's Blue for the wooden spoon.

It is obvious when watching the final series so far that we have a massive job ahead of us if we are going to turn things around and be at the Swans/Hawks standard in a few years times. A bit of luck with injuries would not go astray.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 am

swoop42 wrote:
Going to be hard for Lyon to find that something extra next season to take his side all the way with such an aging list.

And the year after that, it's going to be hard for Lyon to find a job after coaching two successive teams to failure the exact same way, and leaving both with lists so age-imbalanced that they face years at the bottom of the table and a long, slow, painful rebuild.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Good post Swoop. I agree that the Hawks and the Cats aren't as finished as some thing. They have invested in the future and will not necessarily bottom out in the next few years. The trick will be in replacing their stars though. I think the Cats with Selwood and Hawkins are ahead of the Hawks, but both teams will need significant good fortune to remain real contenders rather than be stuck in mid table mediocrity.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Good post Swoop. I agree that the Hawks and the Cats aren't as finished as some thing. They have invested in the future and will not necessarily bottom out in the next few years. The trick will be in replacing their stars though. I think the Cats with Selwood and Hawkins are ahead of the Hawks, but both teams will need significant good fortune to remain real contenders rather than be stuck in mid table mediocrity.

Biggest issue I see for the cats and dawks is not that they have so many aging stars, it's that these aging stars are currently so critical to their performance on match day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: