Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Long and the Short of It

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

collie dog wrote:
Forget size. it doesn't matter (although a tall never gets shorter as the game goes on).

The real issue is SKILLS.

In 2011 we were considered the most skilled side in the AFL. Just look back at some of the replays and see for yourself. Somehow in three years under a rookie coach we have lost every single one of those skills. Even Pendlebury is nowhere nearly as effective as he was.

Yet Pendlebury was just voted best kick inside 50 in the league by his peers.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Averages disguise the fact that there is not the spread of height through the field that there is with other teams, especially at the centre bounces where Pendles is our only tall midfielder. If you take one of our short midfielders out, say Blair, the spread looks a lot better.

You're right but these stats aren't averages. Ok, except the average height in the last one Wink. I disagree that Pendles is our only tall mid. If you're including Blair as a midfielder you also have to acknowledge Lumumba, Macaffer and even Young and Seedsman as mids at times.

As you suggest we are a bit hollow in the middle though:

Games played in 2014 by players over 179cm and under 190cm tall.

I tend to agree with others that we may have 1 or 2 more players under 180cm than we should. For mine though, and as Stinger pointed out, height is not a major problem in itself (Hawks have the same number). I think we looked our worst this year when playing all of Adams, Ball and Thomas. Not because they're short but because they're all slow and none are elite runners. Playing Kennedy, who is shorter than all three, would have made for a better balance. I wouldn't be making height a major focus, our main focus ahead of height, skills or anything else should be running power.

To this end, Martin should be delisted. He's short, not quick, and most importantly lacks running power. I just don't see a spot for him. That leaves six midgets on the list and while I have question marks on Thomas and Dwyer (don't see a point in playing the latter in a rebuilding phase, given he's 28 and not overly good), I don't think playing any one of them really hurts us.

There's one other interesting stat I came across: Blair is only 24, just 6 months older than Martin. He has a lot of footy ahead of him and some posters may have to get used to that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: