Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Waylen Manson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
I have a preference for footballers over celebrities. This bloke was on some talent show I take it?

Yes, a show to allow young footballers who were passed over by the draft to have another crack. He's a footballer not a "celebrity" and he's a damn fine footballer at that, just lacks belief in himself.

As said on The Recruit he was trying to adjust to the new surroundings as he'd never been around that. Once he was back home on a challenge he thrived, once you got him on the field he showed A LOT of skill.

Had he not kept putting himself in the bottom three towards the end of his journey he would have gone close to winning it.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage

Last edited by The Prototype on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I have a preference for footballers over celebrities. This bloke was on some talent show I take it?

Correction there inky. This young bloke is the real deal. A few years ago when Fevola played a few games in Darwin the media followed him, but soon discovered there was this skinny kid from the Kimberley, kicking bags of 10 goals every week, completely overshadowing Fev's efforts. Waylon was overlooked in the draft, probably because clubs had become overly cautious following Liam Jurrah's demise from the AFL. The kid has enormous potential, but needs a club professional enough and committed enough to give him the support he needs to make the adjustment from life in a remote community to the world of professional football. With all the resources spent developing overseas players, I'd like to think a club (hopefully ours) would recognise the potential with this kid and give him a go.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:30 pm

They mentioned a couple of times during the show where they were voting the bottom three what he had to overcome to get to where he was, and I think his lack of self belief was also a major issue, as well as trying to adjust. He didn't believe in himself, and it took a lot of work for them to change his mindset to play a couple of times.

But once they did he could play, he showed that against the NT Thunder, and in another game he played I think against Victorian Police. A minor project player but if you get him firing there's a lot of upside there.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Rather take a punt on a kid like this than a fringe player from another club.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:28 pm

I hope they give this kid a chance on the rookie list. His physical tools and skills are top notch but mentally he needs to find a bit of mongrel (I've only watched a couple of episodes and he seemed a really, really nice, gentle kid but lacks that competitive, aggressive edge that most AFL players possess) to make a go of it.

Collingwood hasn't had feel good story for a bit and this young kid would be a beauty if it came to fruition.

That said the whole Dayle Garlett scenario is something that will hang over recruiters heads for quite a while but given a rookie spot what's to lose?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Correction there inky. This young bloke is the real deal. A few years ago when Fevola played a few games in Darwin the media followed him, but soon discovered there was this skinny kid from the Kimberley, kicking bags of 10 goals every week, completely overshadowing Fev's efforts. Waylon was overlooked in the draft, probably because clubs had become overly cautious following Liam Jurrah's demise from the AFL. The kid has enormous potential, but needs a club professional enough and committed enough to give him the support he needs to make the adjustment from life in a remote community to the world of professional football. With all the resources spent developing overseas players, I'd like to think a club (hopefully ours) would recognise the potential with this kid and give him a go.

As an 18 year old then, he admitted on the show and elsewhere that he seriously struggled when he came over to Melbourne to draft camp. Came over as a probably cocky kid and pulled his own head in in a massive hurry as the whole deal was utterly foreign to him, so he shot off back to the west real quick.

A couple of years down the track, he's more mature and being part of this program will have given him a decent concept of what is needed to succeed. He is now far better equipped to cope with the system than he was then. Doesn't mean he can or will, but he's in a better place now to do it.

I'd like to think we are in a position to support a kid like this, if we can get the best out of him it would be very good for all concerned.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 pm

So what's his vitals? Position, height, playing style?
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:36 am

AN_Inkling wrote:

Quote:
WAYLEN "WAYLO" MANSEN
DELISTED IN EPISODE SIX
FORWARD/ON-BALLER
FROM BILLILUNA COMMUNITY, HALLS CREEK, WA

Waylen hails from a remote Aboriginal community in WA. In 2011, Waylen was touted as a top 5 draft pick. At the AFL draft camp in Canberra, the pressure got to him, and he decided to return home to his family in Billiluna.

Three years on; Waylen has grown into a stronger, more determined man. With his family and community behind him, Waylen is desperate to make his AFL dream a reality the second time around.

Waylen grew up with three other brothers, so he’s built tough. If you needed any extra proof, just look at his back. He still wears scars from knife wounds that he obtained in a hunting accident when he was just 14.

Despite his grit, Waylen loves a laugh and is considered to be a bit of a joker by the people that know him well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI3cGVAzgck

I cannot find much of his other stats though.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:07 am

The Prototype wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Quote:
WAYLEN "WAYLO" MANSEN
DELISTED IN EPISODE SIX
FORWARD/ON-BALLER
FROM BILLILUNA COMMUNITY, HALLS CREEK, WA

Waylen hails from a remote Aboriginal community in WA. In 2011, Waylen was touted as a top 5 draft pick. At the AFL draft camp in Canberra, the pressure got to him, and he decided to return home to his family in Billiluna.

Three years on; Waylen has grown into a stronger, more determined man. With his family and community behind him, Waylen is desperate to make his AFL dream a reality the second time around.

Waylen grew up with three other brothers, so he’s built tough. If you needed any extra proof, just look at his back. He still wears scars from knife wounds that he obtained in a hunting accident when he was just 14.

Despite his grit, Waylen loves a laugh and is considered to be a bit of a joker by the people that know him well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI3cGVAzgck

I cannot find much of his other stats though.

BigFooty draft watcher Knightmare's draft profile of him, from 2011 (which for some reason calls him Zyrus Manson, but it's definitely Waylen he's talking about)...

Quote:
#22 Carlton - Zyrus Manson (WA – KPF)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 24/04/1993
Recruited from: Claremont
Style:
Player comparison: Zephaniah Skinner/Lance Franklin
Range: 10-rookie
Profile: The talent is there as is the production which makes Manson a deserving 1st round prospect. Has a massive running vertical jump as his draft combine score would indicate. Ability to take over games like probably no other talent in this draft outside of maybe Patton. But doesn’t yet understand team structures, and hasn’t played much serious team football so it is a big time high risk, high reward selection because he could be anything if he can apply himself, but could also become nothing very quickly. Also there is the go home factor.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks for the info guys. I think if he's anything like Franklin then we should take a chance on him Wink.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:39 pm

some team with a lot more imagination than us will draft him before we would consider it
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:15 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
some team with a lot more imagination than us will draft him before we would consider it

Sadly, I suspect that's the case.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I guess in the end it depends on whether or not he fits our requirements, I am sure if he does we'd certainly take a look.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:57 pm

If you can get him as a rookie then why the hell wouldn't you take him?

Little cost in both draft picks and salary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: