Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Effect on magpies from Essendon decision

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:30 am
Post subject: Effect on magpies from Essendon decisionReply with quote

I know this topic has been flogged in several threads but I thought it'd time to revisit it.
This coming Friday the high court will hand down there decision in regards to the Essendon doping saga.
If as predicted by many commentators the high court find in favour of ASADA the legal ramifications will be felt through the league including at collingwood.
If the court finds ASADA can use all evidence discovered through the joint investigation the players have the right to take court action to rescind there current contracts opening a pandora's box.
How does this effect collingwood ?
It means we would be free to approach any player currently contracted to Essendon without breaching any AFL laws.
In our case with room in our cap and our need to fill a couple of positions we could go hard at a couple players.
The current stays quo for any club we couldn't offer any player who has been handed a show cause notice due to the uncertainty of any punishment yet to be determined by ASADA.
Once the decision is handed down the players and other clubs will have clarity of where they will stand. The players (who I expect will be led by Paddy Ryder) can challenge there contracts seeking an immediate release and then offer ASADA further information or assistance thus gaining a reduced penalty (down to 3 months if the reports are correct)
This would free up the players to be available early 2015 to commence careers at another club.
In Ryder's case he has indicated by his actions he wants out and is only waiting this decision. While he hasn't said directly he wants to go to sydney or Brisbane they appear to be the leaders in gaining his signature.
Other players may well decide taking similar action they may avoid a more harsh punishment from ASADA and look to get out and try there luck else where.
Players like Heppell, Hooker, Hurley & Carlise who have strong bargaining positions to test there market value could become targets of rival clubs.
Personally I would love to see us make a huge play for a Essendon player if only to send the cats among the pigeons so to speak.
Interesting as well Bomber Thompson as delayed an announcement on his future with Essendon until later in the week or early next week. Is he waiting to see what the fall out is before deciding or is he waiting to see the outcome of the suns review (I linked him to the suns job over a month ago) or is he just waiting on Essendon to come up with w position he wants.
He is a coach not a back room guy or a scout type guy.
Personally I can't wait for the decision and I hope the high court finds in favour of ASADA not because of Essendon but on the basis that Australian sports and athletes need to be accountable for providing supporters, members and fans with a clean sporting environment and a governing body with the power to ensure this happens.
The Weed 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be open slather on any Essendon player. Any player who joined after the injecting would be off limits as probably would any player who was there and resigned in the last 2 years as they would have harder time proving they were upset about the injecting regime. Realistically I would be surprised if more than Ryder left.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:50 am

What's the bet nothing will come of this & ESS will get off?

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
E 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 pm
Post subject: Re: Effect on magpies from Essendon decisionReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I know this topic has been flogged in several threads but I thought it'd time to revisit it.
This coming Friday the high court will hand down there decision in regards to the Essendon doping saga.
If as predicted by many commentators the high court find in favour of ASADA the legal ramifications will be felt through the league including at collingwood.
If the court finds ASADA can use all evidence discovered through the joint investigation the players have the right to take court action to rescind there current contracts opening a pandora's box.
How does this effect collingwood ?
It means we would be free to approach any player currently contracted to Essendon without breaching any AFL laws.
In our case with room in our cap and our need to fill a couple of positions we could go hard at a couple players.
The current stays quo for any club we couldn't offer any player who has been handed a show cause notice due to the uncertainty of any punishment yet to be determined by ASADA.
Once the decision is handed down the players and other clubs will have clarity of where they will stand. The players (who I expect will be led by Paddy Ryder) can challenge there contracts seeking an immediate release and then offer ASADA further information or assistance thus gaining a reduced penalty (down to 3 months if the reports are correct)
This would free up the players to be available early 2015 to commence careers at another club.
In Ryder's case he has indicated by his actions he wants out and is only waiting this decision. While he hasn't said directly he wants to go to sydney or Brisbane they appear to be the leaders in gaining his signature.
Other players may well decide taking similar action they may avoid a more harsh punishment from ASADA and look to get out and try there luck else where.
Players like Heppell, Hooker, Hurley & Carlise who have strong bargaining positions to test there market value could become targets of rival clubs.
Personally I would love to see us make a huge play for a Essendon player if only to send the cats among the pigeons so to speak.
Interesting as well Bomber Thompson as delayed an announcement on his future with Essendon until later in the week or early next week. Is he waiting to see what the fall out is before deciding or is he waiting to see the outcome of the suns review (I linked him to the suns job over a month ago) or is he just waiting on Essendon to come up with w position he wants.
He is a coach not a back room guy or a scout type guy.
Personally I can't wait for the decision and I hope the high court finds in favour of ASADA not because of Essendon but on the basis that Australian sports and athletes need to be accountable for providing supporters, members and fans with a clean sporting environment and a governing body with the power to ensure this happens.

one of my best friends is the judge in the case (Middleton). bombers are dusted I reckon based on his indications in the trial to date. he is giving the bombers a really hard time.

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Another scenario ... ASADA wins so Essendon appeals to Full Bench of Federal Court. From there they appeal to High Court.

Given no co-operation, ASADA seeks to apply full 2 year bans.

Any player trying to leave under "breach of contract" would almost certainly result in court action by Essendon.
I expect if Ryder really want to go, there will be a game of brinkmanship but then there will be a trade done so court action is avoided.

We might be able to steal someone for nothing and get them to play in the 2019 season.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
Another scenario ... ASADA wins so Essendon appeals to Full Bench of Federal Court. From there they appeal to High Court.

Given no co-operation, ASADA seeks to apply full 2 year bans.

Any player trying to leave under "breach of contract" would almost certainly result in court action by Essendon.
I expect if Ryder really want to go, there will be a game of brinkmanship but then there will be a trade done so court action is avoided.

We might be able to steal someone for nothing and get them to play in the 2019 season.

Another unknown factor is the response of the players association. They are there to support their players and any club would be very silly to alienate them.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Well I read that Peptide Bombers asked about Mitch Clarke chance of going to them.

He told them to Bugger Off

Quote:
There have been rumoured reports that Mitch Clark has turned down Essendon as a possible destination club before talks have begun, signalling the drugs saga as something he wants nothing to do with.

https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Its not the High Court its the Federal Court
After this Essendrug can appeal to the full bench of the Federal court and after that fails the High Court.
But not on the facts of the trial but on the procedures of the trial and then (High Court) the consitutional aspects

Good luck with that

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:10 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
What's the bet nothing will come of this & ESS will get off?

Yep, the sods will get slapped with a wet lettuce leaf, and get three games suspension, tops. Rolling Eyes Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:57 pm

So E, when you've been sitting in the Melbourne Club with your good friend Justice Middleton, enjoying a snifter of Brandy and pawing over the Financial Review whilst lazing on the leather chesterfields has the judge given you any juicy tid bits of info or are you just going on what you've read like you said? (I'm Assuming it's what the rest of us have read too)

If Ryder is successful in the breach of contract stuff I don't think it necessarily means all of them will be. His might be seen as special given the unborn baby stuff etc.

Essendon reckon they'll challenge it either way.

I reckon if ASADA win it's curtains for Hird. Even though there will be an appeal, the board will say that it's too much distraction and it's in the best interests of the club that Bomber continues as coach.

Who do you reckon Bomber is barracking for in the court case if he was honest?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 pm

The Weed wrote:
It wouldn't be open slather on any Essendon player. Any player who joined after the injecting would be off limits as probably would any player who was there and resigned in the last 2 years as they would have harder time proving they were upset about the injecting regime. Realistically I would be surprised if more than Ryder left.

Pretty sure Ryder re-signed in the last two seasons.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Damien wrote:
So E, when you've been sitting in the Melbourne Club with your good friend Justice Middleton, enjoying a snifter of Brandy and pawing over the Financial Review whilst lazing on the leather chesterfields has the judge given you any juicy tid bits of info or are you just going on what you've read like you said? (I'm Assuming it's what the rest of us have read too)

If Ryder is successful in the breach of contract stuff I don't think it necessarily means all of them will be. His might be seen as special given the unborn baby stuff etc.

I reckon if ASADA win it's curtains for Hird. Even though there will be an appeal, the board will say that it's too much distraction and it's in the best interests of the club that Bomber continues as coach.

One would imagine he'd be barracking for Essendon. Not exactly sure that a guilty verdict would be great for his reputation or ongoing career in the AFL.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:01 am

David wrote:
Damien wrote:

One would imagine he'd be barracking for Essendon. Not exactly sure that a guilty verdict would be great for his reputation or ongoing career in the AFL.

I disagree David. Hird will wear all the flack if they lose and Bomber keeps his job.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:11 am

All of it? Hasn't Thompson already been sanctioned by the AFL for his role in the affair?

I have no idea what the extent of his knowledge was or whether he was even entirely innocent, but one would think that even the slightest deliberate collusion would be enough to make him persona non grata at the AFL. That's the way things should be, at least.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:15 am

David wrote:
All of it? Hasn't Thompson already been sanctioned by the AFL for his role in the affair?

I have no idea what the extent of his knowledge was or whether he was even entirely innocent, but one would think that even the slightest deliberate collusion would be enough to make him persona non grata at the AFL. That's the way things should be, at least.

I agree that's how it should be but Bomber Thompson has escaped pretty much unscathed. He knew about the program and even expressed reservations which, strangely, is both damning and mitigating.

It seems that Bomber has become the acceptable face of the scandal while Hird is the villain of the piece.

In my opinion Hird should never be allowed to take any role at any level of sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: