Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Port scum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the jumpers really look alike, watch this and decide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2pX_zLuV_o

Our Black on White Vs their White on Black!
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 pm

1061 wrote:
Do the jumpers really look alike, watch this and decide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2pX_zLuV_o

Our Black on White Vs their White on Black!

Seen worst clashes. Only watched the first 4 mins but gee big Sav was enjoying it in the ruck wasn't he.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:32 pm

1993 Confused Brad Rowe starts in the guts, Mark Fraser on a wing, and Damien Houlihan kicks the first goal! Confused Practice match. Very Happy

And Port Adelaide still wore lace-up jumpers.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
BUT weren't Port the Magpies before us, they formed around 1880 I think, we didn't get started till 1892 ??

There's actually a secondary argument that the Port Adelaide Power that plays in the AFL is not the same club, but a commercial offshoot of the original that was created solely for the purpose of playing in the AFL, but that get's too messy for most people so lets leave it.

I don't think the argument is messy at all. It's the misguided linkage on the creation of the Power that was messy. There is no reason whatsoever for a state based team to have any relevance in the AFL.

To note: I didn't care about this in the slightest till the idiocy of it was highlighted to me by Power wearing black & white against the Tigers.

Except for the fact that all the Victorian state based VFL teams kept their history Wink

The AFL is a continuation and an expansion of the VFL not a merger with other state leagues.

Sav 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:23 am

Port have a couple of good years and their bandwagon supporters start thinking they can rewrite history.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 am

stui magpie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
BUT weren't Port the Magpies before us, they formed around 1880 I think, we didn't get started till 1892 ??

Sigh. Mate, they didn't start in black and white and weren't called the magpies. the club might be older than us but we wore the black and white stripes before them and were called the magpies before them.

There's actually a secondary argument that the Port Adelaide Power that plays in the AFL is not the same club, but a commercial offshoot of the original that was created solely for the purpose of playing in the AFL, but that get's too messy for most people so lets leave it.

Basically, we were the Magpies before they were, documented historical fact.

Quote:
As surprising as it sounds, the players did not always wear the traditional black and white in its SANFL days. For its first game back in 1870, the players donned a blue and white guernsey with a pink cap!

Someone must have come to their senses however, as they changed to the famous black and white colours in 1902, which Port Adelaide still wears in the SANFL today.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/club/history

Thankyou stui, nice history lesson, actually, I may have confused them with the emblem of south Australia, it is the Magpie, is it not Question

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:12 am

No its the pipeing shreik or murray magpie which is smaller with more white, though their state colours was black n white in the early years
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:12 am

No its the pipeing shreik or murray magpie which is smaller with more white, though their state colours was black n white in the early years
E 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:20 am

loki04 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Port-Uniform-1870.gif
http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Port-Uniform-1877.gif
http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Port-Uniform-1883.gif
http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Port-Uniform-1902.gif

it is in fact likely that they stole our mapie name and colors after some bufoon from Adelaide rode a horse and cart to melbourne and came back with news of an amazing powerhouse football club called collingwood who he suspected would doninate the football landscape forever.

How was he to know that the club would later get a disease called the Colliwobbles.......

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:54 am

Sav wrote:
Port have a couple of good years and their bandwagon supporters start thinking they can rewrite history.

Exactly!

It was just a couple of years ago they would put that plastic cover shit on the seats, FGS!!!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Port Adelaide as a football side on the field in the past two years have been excellent considering their development and the experience of the list. They have some great players coming through the ranks like Wines, Wingard and Gray and I wouldn't be surprised to see them contending for a Premiership for the next few years.

However the arrogance of their supporters in the past two years since their rise under Ken Hinkley has been almost unbearable. Three years ago they were barely attracting 20,000 people at their home games in AAMI Stadium and now they have 50,000 at the Adelaide Oval every second week and yet they claim that they're the most passionate and loyal supporters going around. Some claim that as many as 15,000 to 20,000 Port Adelaide members didn't renew their memberships between 2008 to 2012 because of issues with the board but that's disgraceful to not stick with the club through thick and thin and which reeks of supporters that are fair-whether. At least we back our side no matter how dire the circumstances may be.

Port Adelaide is almost like a football club in an identity crisis. The claim to be known as the 'Port Adelaide Football Club' rather than 'Port Adelaide Power' and yet they believe they're entitled to wear black and white that our club proudly wears even though they gave up that right in doing so when they entered the AFL competition at the end of 1996 and signed various contracts which gave up their right to do so. It's bizarre that they don't like to be referred to as 'Port Adelaide Power' yet their club mascot is a theme of a 'Power' and their club song features the word 'Power' in its lyrics quite often.

What annoys me even more is that Port Adelaide fans claim that they've won 37 premierships, yet in reality 36 of those were under a different club called the 'Port Adelaide Magpies' who participated in the SANFL and yet they have the nerve to include those flags on their premiership tally. They say today's Port Adelaide in the AFL is the same club from the old SANFL days, but I don't understand how Port Adelaide Power and Port Adelaide Magpies can be the same club. One plays in the AFL and the other is now a reserves team in the SANFL. The logic of Port fans is mind-boggling to be honest.

I acknowledge that Port Adelaide is an older club than Collingwood as they were formed in 1870 as opposed to us in 1892 but they never became the Magpies until 1902 which was ten years after Collingwood was founded. Collingwood have always been the Magpies from the moment the club was born until the present day. We've always had the same identity that club supporters can relate to and understand so I'm proud of what our club stands for and who we are as a whole as opposed to Port who have conflicting identities and don't know who they are.

I've had an argument with Port Adelaide fans who say that we're only jealous of them because they have more premierships (36/37 in the SANFL), they supposedly have a better black and white jumper which is a load of nonsense and they've done the black and white guernsey more proudly than we have. No wonder Port fans shouldn't be taken seriously based on that logic.

If Port Adelaide fans want to look back on their history here it is:

1870-1876

1877-1882

1883-1901

1902-1913 (The first black and white guernsey)

Here's Collingwood's history:

1892-1896 (Our first ever jumper which demonstrates that we've always been the black and white from the moment of our foundation)

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:46 pm

They were down and out just a few years back and were even being talked about as folding. Got a gun coach and some young gun players, new fitness guru, playing at the Adelaide oval and now they're flying. It can turn very quickly and good on em I say.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Seems they got confused in 1877 and became Port Melbourne rather than Port Adelaide.!
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Just wondering where the term "prison bars" on the Port magpies jumper comes from?
When I was young I always heard the striped jumper referred to as the "picket fence" jumper. Never heard of prison bars until recently.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Jezza wrote:
Port Adelaide as a football side on the field in the past two years have been excellent considering their development and the experience of the list. They have some great players coming through the ranks like Wines, Wingard and Gray and I wouldn't be surprised to see them contending for a Premiership for the next few years.

However the arrogance of their supporters in the past two years since their rise under Ken Hinkley has been almost unbearable. Three years ago they were barely attracting 20,000 people at their home games in AAMI Stadium and now they have 50,000 at the Adelaide Oval every second week and yet they claim that they're the most passionate and loyal supporters going around. Some claim that as many as 15,000 to 20,000 Port Adelaide members didn't renew their memberships between 2008 to 2012 because of issues with the board but that's disgraceful to not stick with the club through thick and thin and which reeks of supporters that are fair-whether. At least we back our side no matter how dire the circumstances may be.

Port Adelaide is almost like a football club in an identity crisis. The claim to be known as the 'Port Adelaide Football Club' rather than 'Port Adelaide Power' and yet they believe they're entitled to wear black and white that our club proudly wears even though they gave up that right in doing so when they entered the AFL competition at the end of 1996 and signed various contracts which gave up their right to do so. It's bizarre that they don't like to be referred to as 'Port Adelaide Power' yet their club mascot is a theme of a 'Power' and their club song features the word 'Power' in its lyrics quite often.

What annoys me even more is that Port Adelaide fans claim that they've won 37 premierships, yet in reality 36 of those were under a different club called the 'Port Adelaide Magpies' who participated in the SANFL and yet they have the nerve to include those flags on their premiership tally. They say today's Port Adelaide in the AFL is the same club from the old SANFL days, but I don't understand how Port Adelaide Power and Port Adelaide Magpies can be the same club. One plays in the AFL and the other is now a reserves team in the SANFL. The logic of Port fans is mind-boggling to be honest.

I acknowledge that Port Adelaide is an older club than Collingwood as they were formed in 1870 as opposed to us in 1892 but they never became the Magpies until 1902 which was ten years after Collingwood was founded. Collingwood have always been the Magpies from the moment the club was born until the present day. We've always had the same identity that club supporters can relate to and understand so I'm proud of what our club stands for and who we are as a whole as opposed to Port who have conflicting identities and don't know who they are.

I've had an argument with Port Adelaide fans who say that we're only jealous of them because they have more premierships (36/37 in the SANFL), they supposedly have a better black and white jumper which is a load of nonsense and they've done the black and white guernsey more proudly than we have. No wonder Port fans shouldn't be taken seriously based on that logic.

If Port Adelaide fans want to look back on their history here it is:

1870-1876

1877-1882

1883-1901

1902-1913 (The first black and white guernsey)

Here's Collingwood's history:

1892-1896 (Our first ever jumper which demonstrates that we've always been the black and white from the moment of our foundation)

Nice one Jezza, interesting, reckon H would have loved the pink one. (jeez, I better not go there eh.??). Just on us, I have seen photos of our players from around 1904, and the jumper is basically exactly the same as it is now, bar the advertising and the stripes are a little bit wider. But almost the same, which is why I never want us to change to an alternate strip, like even the dons have done, stick to our guns on our colours and design, bugger the League. Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: