Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Paisley dead

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:30 am
Post subject: Paisley deadReply with quote

This guy was a prick. May he rot in hell
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he can do that. How difficult is rot in hell ?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:37 am

Why do you dislike him so much? Can't say I know a lot about Northern Irish politics.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:39 am

HAL wrote:
Perhaps he can do that. How difficult is rot in hell ?

AND YOU CAN RUST IN HAL
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:41 am

Enough about me, let's talk about the Pies.
SweatyPie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:49 am

NO SURRENDER 🇬🇧
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:54 am

Can you speak any foreign languages?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:58 am

"This guy was a prick may he rot in hell" is probably a statement that sums up much of what is wrong with our degraded youtube, soundbite culture.

I knew only a little of Ian Paisley until today, and what I knew was largely derived from my Catholic mother, who regarded him as a tribal enemy - not too far from the view above, in fact. So, primed with hostility, I started listening today to his various obituaries.

Instead of the bellowing bigoted ogre I expected, I found a man with an extraordinarily chequered life - a man who fought bitterly for his tribe, and caused undoubted suffering. At times, probably a bigot. And yet, too, a man of private courtesy even to his enemies, who looked at this Christian faith as he got older and realised that his past actions were not always compatible with that faith ; a man who ultimately made the painful decision to cross from his own beliefs and joined with hated enemies who had themselves done equally hateful things, or worse ; a man who was repudiated by large numbers of those who he had fought for, because he finally paid the price for a hard-won peace.

His farewell speech in the House of Commons is a kind of bittersweet last post to the compromises and painful understandings that maturity and mortality bring to those of us with the moral courage to criticise our actions and beliefs against higher standards. It is strange that a life which seemed to embody evil, can ultimately be transfigured by personal courage into a thing of inspiration.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for telling me your taste in men.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:57 am

There's a word often bandied about for people who;
organise, promulgate, foster, promote & encourage, politically motivated acts of violence. Violence that lead to scores of deaths. We seem to call prople like that terrorists.
This guy however, gets a Life Peerage from Westminster instead. He dies as a 'Baron of the Realm'.
You may have been welcomed through the doors of the House of Lords, but you're going to find it a much tougher job at those other gates when you attempt to explain yourself to St Peter.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Mugwump wrote:
"This guy was a prick may he rot in hell" is probably a statement that sums up much of what is wrong with our degraded youtube, soundbite culture.

I knew only a little of Ian Paisley until today, and what I knew was largely derived from my Catholic mother, who regarded him as a tribal enemy - not too far from the view above, in fact. So, primed with hostility, I started listening today to his various obituaries.

Instead of the bellowing bigoted ogre I expected, I found a man with an extraordinarily chequered life - a man who fought bitterly for his tribe, and caused undoubted suffering. At times, probably a bigot. And yet, too, a man of private courtesy even to his enemies, who looked at this Christian faith as he got older and realised that his past actions were not always compatible with that faith ; a man who ultimately made the painful decision to cross from his own beliefs and joined with hated enemies who had themselves done equally hateful things, or worse ; a man who was repudiated by large numbers of those who he had fought for, because he finally paid the price for a hard-won peace.

His farewell speech in the House of Commons is a kind of bittersweet last post to the compromises and painful understandings that maturity and mortality bring to those of us with the moral courage to criticise our actions and beliefs against higher standards. It is strange that a life which seemed to embody evil, can ultimately be transfigured by personal courage into a thing of inspiration.

My father too was from Belfast, and the amount of angst Paisley caused my father was not a pretty sight. In fact the 'troubles' and previous conflicts resulted in his whole family leaving Ireland, with a few uncles having links with the IRA, no violence though, mainly smuggling ciggies and stuff like that.
I could never grasp that this guy known as a Reverend could incite so much hatred.
Nothing to do with youtube I might add.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:04 pm

This always reminded me of Ian Paisley: has it down pat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpYW_w5pgo

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:25 pm
Post subject: Re: Paisley deadReply with quote

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
This guy was a prick. May he rot in hell

+ 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: