Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Harry for Mitch: how it would effect us

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:24 pm
Post subject: Harry for Mitch: how it would effect usReply with quote

Seems like a straight swap of Heritier for Mitch Clarke is on the cards. Mitch obviously comes with baggage, but he showed at Melbourne he could be a seriously good marking forward, in the mold of Tippet.

I'll be sad to see H go, as he's been one of my favorite players throughout his career, but he's shat in his own nest once too often.

Anyway, it made me wonder what impact such a swap would have on our side. I suspect Marsh and Seedsman would be used as our fast running rebound defenders. Marsh has similar X factor qualities as H, but is faster.

Having Clarke at full forward would allow Cloke to be used out at CHF, with Grundy the resting ruckman as our 3rd marking forward. This would allow us to move Reid (assuming he gets fit again) back to CHB where he was all Australian 2 years ago.

The way I see it, it would strengthen us all over the field and force White to play in the VFL as a reserve ruck/forward.
axl13 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they would need to give us another pick or player. Clarke is a huge risk for the pies but could very well pay off. Moving Cloke to CHF would be awesome and he would play better footy there.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Don't want Clarke.He made fun of Taz a few years ago,and nobody puts Taz in the corner! Mad Mad Mad
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:48 pm

not sure what the effect on the club would be or how it would affect the club.
what obligation does clark have to see the best outcome for melbourne?
am not overly thrilled about the prospect of clark joining the club.

derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:49 pm

How would we feel as a club if a key player "walked out" after being given leave on compasonate grounds? I don't trust mitch as far as i could throw him....i say we keep well clear and let someone else get him.

He seems "fair weather" to my mind...and if Bucks is trying the build good team culture he is not the kind of guy you want around.

And hey, i am not even takingh into account his history with injury....how many games did he play for Melbourne? with the rest of the time spent in the medical rooms!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:09 pm

In my view:

1. H is a required player at Collingwood.
2. I want H to remain at Collingwood.
3. However, if H wants to go & we do not fight to keep him (for whatever reason) & wants to be transferred to Melbourne then I think Clark could well be a great fit at our club providing due diligence is done on his fitness, health & injury record (as it should with any other player).
4. Assuming the Dees want to trade Clark then I'd be in it providing his cost is not too high & I'd also discuss this with the Leadership group.

Clark upside for Collingwood:

Can kick goals
Can mark & run
Can provide a strong contest (more than White has shown this year)
Can provide relief ruck work if required ( & is far better when fit than Lynch & White combined IMO)
Provides an excellent forward option / alternative to Cloke.

Given the above & in the above circumstances I would nab him & quickly.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:19 pm

I think its a win/win. H..as much as I like him is past his use by date. He needs a change and the Club has obviously tired of his ways. Mitch would free up a range of positions and will be the perfect foil for Cloke. Less stress and reliance on Reid who will play swingman , as required, fwd/back. Combo of Reid/Cloke/ Clarke, maybe White, will have other teams stretched. Really salivating the thought of Clarke at Pieland. Pies will get it right contract wise. Perfect fit and with the sleeve, fits the part to a tee! Smile
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:23 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Is he? He's form has been terrible. He isn't what he used to be...and even then, he only offered that form for a couple of seasons. He's replaceable.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Joel wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Is he? He's form has been terrible. He isn't what he used to be...and even then, he only offered that form for a couple of seasons. He's replaceable.

H was probably not as consistent in 2014, or as flashy, but he did bring some very good football at times.

Don't particularly want to see him leave but if he's going and it's confirmed he wants to go to Melbourne, I'd have a few other players ahead of Clark. Not because he's got/had mental health issues or there is some doubt about how sound his body might be, purely based on what I see as list needs.

Top of the list would probably be Howe but can't see the Dees letting him go. Can't see Hogan being on the table either, again I don't see that he'd fill a need but definitely a long term Cloke replacement. The kids like Salem, Viney and Tyson aren't going to be available.

So that means your down to Watts. Got some baggage/issues but definitely got some talent.

Failing that, draft picks. Can't see them giving up their 1st pick (2) for H, but maybe their 2nd (20) and 3rd (3Cool round picks or an exchange of 3rd for our 3rd (44) or 4th pick (62). That all assumes no compo picks allocated and doesn't factor in a possible 1st (3) or 2nd (21) round pick compo they'd get for Frawley.

Ideally, H would decide Sydney is the city for him, and that he'd love to be reunited with Heater. GWS have a few kids rumoured to be wanting a return to Vic.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Mal Michael did it to Brisbane. A player doesn't have an obligation to the club beyond playing good football for them and acting professionally while they're there. Clark's contract expires in Oct and the Demons aren't playing anymore football. The only obligation he has to them is to accept a trade deal from a club he wants to go to, otherwise he's off to the PSD.

If he wants Collingwood and we're happy to give something up for him rather than risk him getting taken in the PSD before us then we offer something up and see how it goes. Seems both clubs supporters aren't thrilled with the idea of either player (H to Melb assumed) so that tells me it's probably a fair trade.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:43 pm

watt price tully wrote:
In my view:

3. However, if H wants to go & we do not fight to keep him (for whatever reason) & wants to be transferred to Melbourne then I think Clark could well be a great fit at our club providing due diligence is done on his fitness, health & injury record (as it should with any other player).
4. Assuming the Dees want to trade Clark then I'd be in it providing his cost is not too high & I'd also discuss this with the Leadership group.

Can kick goals
Can mark & run
Can provide relief ruck work if required ( & is far better when fit than Lynch & White combined IMO)

Yep, almost a perfect response for mine

Any chance we change the OP title though? I thought we were considering swapping H for Mitch Robinson who is also 'available'!

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:04 pm

That way trouble lies; his mind and heart are in Queensland and make no mistake

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Great swap.
Neither player has much currency.
Either one or both could play a few very
good years of footy for their new clubs.
We have nothing to lose.
And if we are very lucky we may
get an excellent player.
If not then it is not the end of the world.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:27 pm

double post
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:38 pm

watt price tully wrote:
In my view:

Can kick goals
Can mark & run

A very balanced appraisal but I would have to say that H's currency has been devalued due to him being somewhat of a distraction from a team perspective.

If this deal evolves I believe it is worth the risk for all concerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: