Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Leadership Group: Opinion

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:16 am
Post subject: 2015 Leadership Group: OpinionReply with quote

We need to realign our leadership group for next year and remove the likes of L Keefe (not in best 22 and dropped twice this year) and Clinton Young for similar reasons.

We need our best and most influential players having a say on the direction we take match day re gameplans etc. .. plus assisting the off field culture push. That being the case I hope the following occurs:

S. Pendlebury (Captain)
D. Beams (Vice Captain): had a taste in 2012 and did great and shouldn't let 2013 injuries deter him from being reinstated

Deputy Vice Captains from:

S. Sidebottom: excellent this year

B. Reid: time to stand up & speak up!

T. Goldsack: reward the loyalty and he is an 8 year heart and soul player whom can pass on a build the Pies cultural expectation

T. Cloke: wildcard and left field choice I know but you can't take $800,000 and be hit & miss on/off the field. CONTRIBUTE TRAVIS.

Sorry J Blair, C Young and L keefe: but if I am N Freeman, J Elliot or T Langdon, I know a spray or 1 on 1 with my list would affect my improvement far greater than L Keefe for example!!

Again it's just my opinion.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pendles and Beams (assuming he wants to get back into the leadership group) are givens. I'd be looking at kids beyond that to try and fast track them.

Keeffe may well have struggled at times to retain his spot in 2014 but hopefully with a solid preseason he can establish himself in the 22 in 2015. He demonstrates lots of leadership around the playing group on match days so he has to be retained.

Langdon and Adams are apparently leaders in the making. I'd add them. I also wouldn't mind them adding Scharenberg to the group. Give him something else to think about throughout his rehab and start grooming him for the longer term.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:04 pm

With respect adding Scharenberg is akin to D Pagan putting Bryce Gibbs into the leadership group before he had played a game. Hard for Scharra to lead when he hasn't a fitness platform to back it up!

Insofar as keefe is concerned, we can't have Lachie barking up about standards and accountability in a leadership meeting when he has been told he is dropped due to Josh Jenkins running him ragged again!! Just doesn't work.

It's like Elizabeth Taylor giving marriage advice or Nickleback explaining what makes a great Rock album.

mavs5 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:57 pm

How is this for a novel idea:
Let's have:
Captain: Pendelbury
Vice Captain: Beams
Deputy Vice Captain: Cloke
And leave it at three.
Not this 8 man leadership group. What a load crap.
The club seems to make this more complicated that what it should be.
Use the KISS principle.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:38 pm

inxs88 wrote:
With respect adding Scharenberg is akin to D Pagan putting Bryce Gibbs into the leadership group before he had played a game. Hard for Scharra to lead when he hasn't a fitness platform to back it up!

Insofar as keefe is concerned, we can't have Lachie barking up about standards and accountability in a leadership meeting when he has been told he is dropped due to Josh Jenkins running him ragged again!! Just doesn't work.

It's like Elizabeth Taylor giving marriage advice or Nickleback explaining what makes a great Rock album.

With respect, adding Scharenberg is nothing akin to the Pagan - Gibbs example you've cited and any suggestion aligning Scharenberg to Gibbs should attract significant sanctions. Gibbs is definitely not the type of individual you'd want in a leadership group. Scharenberg however has been lauded for his future leadership potential and if you'd read my post, you would have noted I said "I also wouldn't mind them adding Scharenberg to the group. Give him something else to think about throughout his rehab and start grooming him for the longer term."

As for Keeffe, if you actually watch him during the telecasts or at VFL, he is one of the few who actually gets around all the playing group. The kid exudes leadership. As to the suggestion that you'll write him off for 2015 because his form was a little up and down in 2014, just ludicrous. And were not talking about making him captain FFS and I'm sure the entire playing group would respect enormously the attitude he brings to that role regardless of whether its at AFl or VFL level.

And contrary to accepted social norms, an individuals capacity to lead is not determined by age or experience.

With respect....
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:40 pm

I thought the leadership group was voted on by the players?

If that's the case I doubt there's an individual in that group who doesn't have the respect of his peers, otherwise he wouldn't be there.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Congratulations to the OP. This may be the first thread ever started in the DTM forum that should have been in General Discussion - generally all the traffic is in the other direction.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:54 pm

mavs5 wrote:
Let's have:
And leave it at three.
Use the KISS principle.

I will go one more.... whatever happened to just having a Captain and two Vice Captains?

All this deputy vice-captain crap ...feel like primary school footy where everyone has to "feel important". and we wonder why the quality of leaders feel degraded...too many chiefs no Indians.

How long before Deputy's need Deputy's? Hell, why not make the whole team one giant leadership group?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 pm

derkd wrote:
mavs5 wrote:
Let's have:
And leave it at three.
Use the KISS principle.

I will go one more.... whatever happened to just having a Captain and two Vice Captains?

All this deputy vice-captain crap ...feel like primary school footy where everyone has to "feel important". and we wonder why the quality of leaders feel degraded...too many chiefs no Indians.

How long before Deputy's need Deputy's? Hell, why not make the whole team one giant leadership group?

Don't disagree with keeping it simple, just think with the demise of a lot of our recognised on field leadership, we need to be developing the next generation.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:34 pm
Post subject: Re: 2015 Leadership Group: OpinionReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
We need to realign our leadership group for next year and remove the likes of L Keefe (not in best 22 and dropped twice this year) and Clinton Young for similar reasons.

We need our best and most influential players having a say on the direction we take match day re gameplans etc. .. plus assisting the off field culture push. That being the case I hope the following occurs:

S. Pendlebury (Captain)
D. Beams (Vice Captain): had a taste in 2012 and did great and shouldn't let 2013 injuries deter him from being reinstated

Deputy Vice Captains from:

S. Sidebottom: excellent this year

B. Reid: time to stand up & speak up!

T. Goldsack: reward the loyalty and he is an 8 year heart and soul player whom can pass on a build the Pies cultural expectation

T. Cloke: wildcard and left field choice I know but you can't take $800,000 and be hit & miss on/off the field. CONTRIBUTE TRAVIS.

Sorry J Blair, C Young and L keefe: but if I am N Freeman, J Elliot or T Langdon, I know a spray or 1 on 1 with my list would affect my improvement far greater than L Keefe for example!!

Again it's just my opinion.

you miss the point of keeffe being in the leadership group. keeffe is very much a young leader in the club and needs to be nurtured along. clearly, his peers and the executive support his place in the group.

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

May have been mentioned, but do we get Ryan O'Keeffe from Sydney, put him on the the primary list on a modest amount and ask him to:
1. help fill the leadership void,
2. nurture the young players,
3. be a part-time coach with a eye to the future, and
4. Do what he does as a hard nut on-field for 10-15 games

We may get 2 years out of him if we are lucky, but even 12 mths will fill a role we have a serious need for! A big ask, but maybe worth a shot.

kellrk 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:58 pm
Post subject: 2015 leadership group opinionReply with quote

Ryan okeefe great footballer , hard nut , but in my opinion is very slow thats why he struggled this year
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:41 pm

mavs5 wrote:
Let's have:
And leave it at three.
Use the KISS principle.

Got some sympathy with this view. Leading Teams means they all have a voice anyway.
I thought the number of players in our leadership group this year was a little embarassing and smacked of not knowing who to pick.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:37 pm

The problem with having a large leadership group is that if you're not in it you can feel undervalued.......perhaps that contributed to Heritier's disenchantment?

I like the simpler captain and 2 vice captains model.
think better 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:41 pm

I would not be at all surprised if Williams was in the leadership group
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: