Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Season 2015 Prediction

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The public comments over the last day or so by Brereton and Wallace serve to illustrate the dilemma Geelong has reached: Dermie says they need to lose the older guys who have hung on a little too long and Wallace says, roughly put, "well, yes, but only if they have ready made replacements - and they don't". All season they looked to me like a team that was dependent upon their ever-decreasing number of ageing stars and they looked like that again in the finals.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The public comments over the last day or so by Brereton and Wallace serve to illustrate the dilemma Geelong has reached: Dermie says they need to lose the older guys who have hung on a little too long and Wallace says, roughly put, "well, yes, but only if they have ready made replacements - and they don't". All season they looked to me like a team that was dependent upon their ever-decreasing number of ageing stars and they looked like that again in the finals.

And boy does that make the sun shine a little brighter!

Big T 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:37 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Big T wrote:
...Buckley also picks up Ceglar from the Hawks and he blossoms into the best ruckman / forward in the league...

This is the point where I realised your post should be classified under fantasy Wink.

I did that for you, Ink. As u well know. Wink

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:53 am

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

And boy does that make the sun shine a little brighter!

Smile Yes, once Dads Army pussies lose the likes of Lonergan, Enright, taylor, bartel, Kelly, stevie J, stokes, etc the rot will set in, they wont make the finals for a fair while, thank the Lord. Basically, they could be rooted for years to come, like Brizzie Lions were, when all their oldies retired after hanging around far too long, the same as the Scum, when Kernahan and co all left around the same time. We are the direct opposite to the ageing Pussies, a young an vibrant team, really going places in the next few year, lock that one in. ! Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:28 pm

collie dog wrote:
One thing is certain about next season Hiss. Collingwood will finish lower on the ladder than they did this year. But don't expect the BB (Blind Brigade) to accept that. They buy all the spin that Buckley and Eddie pour over them.

If the problems this year were just about injuries, and surely we can see that it was more than just bad luck that caused them so they are likely to occur again in similar numbers unless training methods are altered, then we might believe in a recovery at Collingwood. But we all know the problems go much deeper than that. We are still waiting for an effective game plan and a side structured (like Hawthorn and Freo who had plenty of injuries themselves this year) so that any player who steps into a role can play it.

But Buckley believes blind effort alone by players will win the day. Well effort might have worked in his personal playing career, but it didn't necessarily help his teammates, and it sure won't turn us into a footy powerhouse. You need top coaches to do that. Ken Hinkley is the perfect example of what a REAL coach can do to turn a footy club around. I would think we should be considering exactly what coach we want to replace Buckley so that we can pull off a coup. Eddie has done it before when he got Malthouse. Come on Eddie. Wake up and smell the roses. Buckley is the worst coach at Collingwood since Murray Weideman - and that ended in tears for a club legend too.

is he a worse coach than MM was considered to be in 2008. Is he worse than Thompson was considered in 2006? all coaches are terrible coaches until they aren't.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:39 pm

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Scribe wrote:
All of the reasons and excuses given for our poor second half to 2014 are only exasperated coming into 2015.

We will go in with less experience.

We will go in with an incredibly-shallow leadership group.

The following players carry significant injury histories and are no guarantee to play any football, let alone play consistently:

Clinton Young (hamstrings)
Ben Reid (every muscle in his body apparently)
Nathan Brown (numerous shoulder operations)
Nathan Freeman (hamstrings)
Ben Sinclair (hamstrings)
Alex Fasolo (feet)
Brent McCaffer (ACL)
Matthew Scharenberg (ACL)

Should we get Mitch Clark, you can add his feet and mental issues to the list.

For a number of reasons, Collingwood has failed in its attempt to have a 'mini-rebuild' while contending in finals (like your Geelongs and Hawthorns have successfully done) and now must commit to going through the slow, painful process of a proper long-term plan.

Bucks has said we will emerge in a premiership race with the Bulldogs, GWS and Gold Coast. Take a look at the respective young talent and high draft picks in our list compared to those clubs and you'll get an idea of the future ahead of us.

Expectations need to go down in 2015 chaps. I have us finishing 14th. If we make the finals, I'll happily jump in the Yarra.

The club will do a good job of controlling the narrative of another disappointing season and Buckley will comfortably keep his job.

You might like to go back and review end of season ladder positions since 2004 (Pies last significant lapse after 02-03 GFs) and just see how successfully Hawthorn and Geelong have gone in terms of their rebuilds on the run. Since 2003 the Pies have missed the 8 three times (04, 05, 14), Hawks 4 times (04, 05, 06, 09), and Cats once (2006). All teams experience some level of drop off after a sustained crack at GFs.

Geelong are in more trouble than we. They rely on their stars more than any other team and those stars really looked like they were on the back end of the bell curve. still good players but I think they are in decline and I don't think they have enough quality coming through.

Don't be surprised to see the pies topple the cats next year in the bottom of the 8.

We've been saying that for a couple of years though haven't we. Cats still have 7-8 players 30+ and they are all at the pointy end of their team. Sooner or later their form/fitness has to start to wane, may 2015 be it. They do have some good kids, problem again has been older players keeping them out of the senior side denying them much needed experience.

They seem to be a bit unique in keeping their old players playing. I remember Barry Bonds was able to play baseball for a very long time. I wonder if there is a similarity.....

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 am

I mostly try to be positive about most things - not as positive as TP, but mostly positive.

Having put up with the Cat-fellating crap for years however, I won't be enjoying their decline in silence like I probably should.

We've been putting up with constant unfair comparisons for years, I look forward to sending some back the other way.

They have their three flags, just as the Lions do, and from here theirs will be similar tales.

They are gone and the climb back out of the gutter will take most of a decade. They have been existing only in the present for far too long without any thought for the future.

They only made the top four thanks to umpire charity and this was evidenced by their straight sets exit. Wait till the umps get off them next year, which they undoubtedly will. It will be a hard landing.

They are bloody lucky they lost Ablett. It gained them Caddy and forced them to give more midfield time to Christensen and Varcoe. In other words, the only decent bit of forward planning (sacrificing the present for the future) was against their will.

They've been bloody stupid. All they've achieved in the past three years is digging a deeper hole. And all the while we've had to hear how great they are and what a great coach Scott is.

He inherited a grand final team and in his first year he went one better. Happy to give him that. Since 2011, though, Buckley's record as a list manager and forward planner outshines Scott's by an exponential factor.

The Cats are about to start reaping what they have sown and I am going to get my schadenfreude on bigtime Smile

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:08 pm

The dog's pin up boy used to be Chris Scott.

Now it's Ken Hinkley.

Who will it be next year?

Even if we win the flag, it won't be Buckley.

It's cool how you can just jump from hero to hero - you don't need to defend Chris Scott's hundred bad decisions in the last three years because you aren't a fanboy any more. It's all about Hinkley - for now.

Devilishly cunning

derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
I'm predicting more of the same - or lower. Coach Spudley's clayton's game plan and lack of coaching intelligence won't do our increasingly confused list any favours. I'm predicting we will continue to bleed talent also with more valuable talent seeking greener and more flexible pastures by the end of 2015.

I also predict that by the end of 2015 Coach Spudley will be eyeing off yon Cassius' lean and hungry look with increasing nervousness before his inevitable trip to the forum. Beware the Ides of November! Laughing

Who's the Brutus to be?

I'm predicting Eddie as Brutus will guide him to the forum to stand under the statue of Mick Malthouse. Later Eddie will appear as Mark Anthony to give the funeral oration. Laughing

I spent many years studying classics at uni, Tacitus (the second century Roman historian) tells us of two stories of how Julius Caesar supposedly learnt of his fate before he want to the faithful meeting of the senate. These shall be retold with Buckley.

"Buckley awoke from a horrid dream in which he had foreseen his demise at the Temple of Jupiter (Wespac center), this vision troubled him for many days"

"Buckley visited his favorite soothsayer (Sports Medical Scientist) to gain an insight on auspicious months to come... He was told that his demise would come in the ides-of March.....when the Ides had come Buckley went back to his Sports Medical Scientist and said ..."The ides have come and i am still here" ...to which the scientist replied "Aye, they have come, but they have not yet gone". Smile these are not direct quotes as i could not be bothered pulling out my copy of the Annals of Imperial Rome . A great read for anyone interested in a book that is 2000 years old!

Last edited by derkd on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
I mostly try to be positive about most things - not as positive as TP, but mostly positive.

Having put up with the Cat-fellating crap for years however, I won't be enjoying their decline in silence like I probably should.

We've been putting up with constant unfair comparisons for years, I look forward to sending some back the other way.

They have their three flags, just as the Lions do, and from here theirs will be similar tales.

They are gone and the climb back out of the gutter will take most of a decade. They have been existing only in the present for far too long without any thought for the future.

They only made the top four thanks to umpire charity and this was evidenced by their straight sets exit. Wait till the umps get off them next year, which they undoubtedly will. It will be a hard landing.

They are bloody lucky they lost Ablett. It gained them Caddy and forced them to give more midfield time to Christensen and Varcoe. In other words, the only decent bit of forward planning (sacrificing the present for the future) was against their will.

They've been bloody stupid. All they've achieved in the past three years is digging a deeper hole. And all the while we've had to hear how great they are and what a great coach Scott is.

He inherited a grand final team and in his first year he went one better. Happy to give him that. Since 2011, though, Buckley's record as a list manager and forward planner outshines Scott's by an exponential factor.

The Cats are about to start reaping what they have sown and I am going to get my schadenfreude on bigtime Smile

mate, you sell yourself short!

that's all the positive thinking I need!

and I hope your spot on, because I bloody detest the scats!! and Scott!!

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:05 pm

derkd wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
I'm predicting more of the same - or lower. Coach Spudley's clayton's game plan and lack of coaching intelligence won't do our increasingly confused list any favours. I'm predicting we will continue to bleed talent also with more valuable talent seeking greener and more flexible pastures by the end of 2015.

I also predict that by the end of 2015 Coach Spudley will be eyeing off yon Cassius' lean and hungry look with increasing nervousness before his inevitable trip to the forum. Beware the Ides of November! Laughing

Who's the Brutus to be?

I'm predicting Eddie as Brutus will guide him to the forum to stand under the statue of Mick Malthouse. Later Eddie will appear as Mark Anthony to give the funeral oration. Laughing

I spent many years studying classics at uni, Tacitus (the second century Roman historian) tells us of two stories of how Julius Caesar supposedly learnt of his fate before he want to the faithful meeting of the senate. These shall be retold with Buckley.

"Buckley awoke from a horrid dream in which he had foreseen his demise at the Temple of Jupiter (Wespac center), this vision troubled him for many days"

"Buckley visited his favorite soothsayer (Sports Medical Scientist) to gain an insight on auspicious months to come... He was told that his demise would come in the ides-of March.....when the Ides had come Buckley went back to his Sports Medical Scientist and said ..."The ides have come and i am still here" ...to which the scientist replied "Aye, they have come, but they have not yet gone". Smile these are not direct quotes as i could not be bothered pulling out my copy of the Annals of Imperial Rome . A great read for anyone interested in a book that is 2000 years old!

Mine's pretty much limited to The Bards play, as I never did ancient history, but they are pretty interesting points; obviously the second one gets a reference in JC; I got to play the part of the Soothsayer once!

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Wokko wrote:
Then how were we 8-3 this year?

The same reason we won the flag in 2010. A fluke. Razz

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Big T wrote:
It is possible we can do a Port.

No. We have neither Hinkley nor Kochie.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Kochie - oh please!

Hinkley had a lot of things going his way that Bux and Scott have had to deal with or are going to need to address - that is, a group of senior players just past their peak who have had premiership success.

Hinkley was able to recruit a team from the absolute bottom and build his team from the start - Bux has taken a while to get there and might get the best chance next year and in 2016 to demonstrate his coaching nous.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:42 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Kochie - oh please!

Hinkley had a lot of things going his way that Bux and Scott have had to deal with or are going to need to address - that is, a group of senior players just past their peak who have had premiership success.

Hinkley was able to recruit a team from the absolute bottom and build his team from the start - Bux has taken a while to get there and might get the best chance next year and in 2016 to demonstrate his coaching nous.

Heaven forbid - its next year or the highway.

PS: We already know the answer but yeah... some people are slow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: