Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Darren Jolly on SEN this morning.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkmate !!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
The concern with Jolly wasnt whether he was finished ... general consensus is he was. The concern is with how we terminated him.
I think he was entitled to a face-to-face which he didnt get. Its the manner he was sacked that has pissed him off.

That said he did not accept or show respect for Buckley being the incoming coach and continuously white anted him. He has not even attempted to hide his contempt for Buckley as evident in his SEN interview.

Jolly's termination had as much to do with his attitude as it did with his worn out body. If his attitude was better he may have been kept on for a further year to assist with Witts and Grundy.

Sometimes you need to show some respect to earn it. In the end he was treated with the same degree of accommodation as he had offered to others.

P.S. It is not up to a player to approve or sanction the appointment of a new coach. He is a payed employee and is expected to do his best and not voice an adverse opinion in this area. If you do not agree try it next time at work when they appoint a new GM or CEO. If they have the required management skills they will soon sort you out.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:10 pm

^ correct
He got the one on one just didn't agree or like what was said.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/nathan-buckley-eddie-mcguire-hit-back-at-darren-jolly/104o9a0r5vew91q75i2yj4z0ik

Can't stand stories getting changed over time.

He was done.
There were two under 22 year old players with the ability to hold down the number one ruck position with White, Lynch and Hudson in support.
As it turns out the two young blokes are 5 years ahead of most ruckmen's ability including Jolly - imagine where they will be at 25 !!!

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
Joel wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
Its the manner he was sacked that has pissed him off.

Can you please point out where this has been stated?

The Age 28/11/2013:
''I'm not stupid. I accept that everyone's footy career comes to an end one day, but if 'Bucks' had just sat me down that day and said, 'Look, 'Jolls', you've given us fantastic service, but unfortunately the direction we want to go in, you don't fit into those plans' ... if he'd just treated me with a bit more respect, it would have been a lot easier to stomach.''

Darren Jolly on Nathan Buckley- The Age
''Just the excuses he gave me in that meeting were all bullshit and that was the hardest thing to stomach, that he was a coward, really. We had a problem. He had an issue with me and I had an issue with him.

so the meeting DID happen he just wasn't happy with what was said.
If he thought he could play and Bucks (supported later by 17 other clubs) thought he couldn't then no shit he wasn't happy.

"Most damning for Jolly, his former understudy at Collingwood Cameron Wood, who had been delisted by the Pies 12 months earlier, found a home when Jolly couldn't. That was at former Magpies coach Malthouse's club Carlton. "

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Jolly's an absolute sook.

The club deemed he was finished and just about everyone agreed, as demonstrated by the fact that he couldn't get a gig at another AFL club. If he was simply disagreeing and disappointed Collingwood didn't see it the same way then I could understand his point of view, but calling out Bucks as a coward and labeling his reasoning as bullshit is Jolly making a professional issue personal to serve his own agenda.

Collingwood has been good to it's ex-players over the years, going out of it's way to find them work within the club where possible and acting as a launching pad for some that decided they wanted to move into the media. If Darren wants to burn his bridges and appear on reality TV shows to make his money then he's more than welcome to.

He'll realize his mistake in a few years.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:28 pm

its a damn shame he reacted like that. and as usual, Bucks responded with pure class.

funny, I thought id hate him on the block after all the crap that went down, but gees, theres a lot less likeable folk on it this time than him!! at least he gets his hands dirty!!

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Sorry, I didn't realise it was 100% a problem with Jolly.
I somehow got the strange idea we have had some people management issues over the last few years. My mistake.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
Joel wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
Its the manner he was sacked that has pissed him off.

Can you please point out where this has been stated?

The Age 28/11/2013:
''I'm not stupid. I accept that everyone's footy career comes to an end one day, but if 'Bucks' had just sat me down that day and said, 'Look, 'Jolls', you've given us fantastic service, but unfortunately the direction we want to go in, you don't fit into those plans' ... if he'd just treated me with a bit more respect, it would have been a lot easier to stomach.''

however, that quote came from Jolly.... who's to know if that's the truth in how things went. Maybe it's 'his' truth.

As for his wife..... maybe she's the one in his ear all the time, maybe she's the ghost writer for all his articles.

Stinger 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:04 pm

What an ungrateful prick!
On top of this he gets a gig on channel 9. Now I'm not suggesting Eddie had anything to do with the final casting decision but you could bet your bottom dollar that he had some part, be it direct or indirect, in getting Jolly on the show.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Said he was a ungrateful prick 12 months ago when he first had a public tanty, and nothing has made me change my mind since

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:01 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Jolly's body was heading south at a quick rate - Bux was probably keen to keep a big guy around with experience to back-up the kids however jolly had been very patchy since 2011 and Bux made the right call.

Yes, the same call he made on Luke Ball. I gather from the interview on AFL360 last night Ball did not rule out fielding offers from other clubs. So much for a "voluntary" retirement. Bucks loves the cull with the passion of a big game hunter.

Oh well, you live by the cull you die by the cull. His day is coming.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:04 pm

MAGPIEAVENGER wrote:
Mason Cox COULD be anything.

Does the name Shae McNamara mean anything to you at all?

The odds of a total newbie succeeding at our game is probably 500 to 1. It may come off, but we will more than likely loose our shirts. There would have to be 500 Aussie kids close to his height that would be a better bet than an American.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:05 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
Didn't the other 17 teams also agree he wasn't up to scratch? They all choose not to draft his as well.

I hate that train of thought, just because the other 17 teams passed doesn't make the decision the right one.

I think he's a parrot BTW and I'm glad he's gone, he hasn't done himself any favours the way he handled his dismissal.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
The concern with Jolly wasnt whether he was finished ... general consensus is he was. The concern is with how we terminated him.
I think he was entitled to a face-to-face which he didnt get. Its the manner he was sacked that has pissed him off.

The Pies have always been a bit like that, just ask Peter Daicos ! In the early 40s, so I have read, one of the Colliers turned up for pre season training, had been told nothing. and he went to look at the final team sheet. Unbeknown to him, his name wasn't on it. He went to Mchales office, and asked old Jock how come his name wasn't on the list, "OH said ol Jock, sorry, but you've been delisted, thanks anyway for your service. Bye !" And with that, Harry Collier turned and left Vic Park, no longer required after 4 six flags and a Brownlow medal. Shocked

And the club has never been the same since!!!

Since the 1940s we have won exactly 4 flags. Before then we had won 11. The Colliers and Coventries won 4 in a row remember.

Obviously we can see that karma has a big part to play in Collingwood's modern history.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Most of you in this thread should be ashamed of yourselves.

fact 1. we won a flag in 2010 that we wouldn't have won without Darren Jolly.
Fact 2. He wore the black & white stripes with distinction in many games.
Fact 3. Any player who plays only one game for Collingwood deserves your respect.
Fact 3. None of you have ever played for Collingwood and everyone of you would love to have (tell me if I'm wrong on that one)
Fact 4. Many people find it difficult to come to terms with the end of their career and some handle it better than others.
Fact 4. When there is a 10 yr and 20 yr premiership reunion he will be welcomed with open arms, and should be.

I'm totally disgusted with the tripe in this thread. And for the record I think the right decision was made also. Yes Luke Ball accepted his demise with the grace that we all should. But everyone is different. For one second, Put yourself in the shoes of someone who is told that their dream is over. It would be shattering and might take years to get over.

D Jolly will always be a Collingwood immortal to me because he's a premiership player. Think of that when you are watching your 2010 GF Dvd's and enjoying his opening goal.

The end.

Last edited by Damien on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: