Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Nails it - It will be a long time in the wilderness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prototype wrote:
I assume the club know what they are doing, if they have faith in Buckley then we have to sit back and watch what happens. People can call for Buckley's sacking until they are blue in the face, but at the end of the day Buckley is the coach and I am sure if finals are not reached next season he won't be anymore.

Buckley has made mistakes, but I guess in a way a lot of the decisions that were made were really forced upon him in the end. I think the main mistake was not grabbing some added experience to help the younger players we have, but I also can see where it can be hard.

Next season is do or die no doubt, I reckon after figuring out some problems things will be better fitness wise, recruitment wise I think we just need a couple of more experienced bodies out there and should be back playing finals.

It's not all doom and gloom we have a decent young list, just now gotta develop it more.

I just can't work out where the wins to get in the finals would come from...

I can't think who we're better than (in terms of being better than 10 teams)

But the trade/draft might repair some of those doubts, even though I'm skeptical

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:55 pm

The_Staunton wrote:

But the trade/draft might repair some of those doubts, even though I'm skeptical

The draft is one thing - the jury is still out on Hines' genius. But one thing is certain, we won't trade for or entice any big name players to our club. In all the talk about possible trades involving Frawley, Ryder, Carlisle and half the Essendon team, we don't look like we will hook a single one of them. But no doubt we'll pick up the odd VFL reject from Carlton to fit the bill. Razz

Just think people what we might have done with a player of Paul Chapman's nous if we got him last year. He was supposed to be over the hill, but Geelong are sorry now they let him go. Just imagine what Chapman could have done on our forward line this year. But then we passed on Stevie Johnson some years ago too. And Tony Lockett!!!

And don't get me started on all the premierships we have gifted some of our former players since they moved to other clubs. Either Rhyce Shaw or Jon Ceglar will join their ranks next week. Actually Rhyce is going for his second with the Swans in three years after we were supposed in 2010-11 to be the dynasty club of the 2010s. Oh boy. Rolling Eyes

And here's a bet I'll take on: Heath Shaw will win a premiership with GWS before Collingwood win another one. Oh yes we are brilliant in trades. Razz

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Well Rhyce wanted to be traded under Mick, so I guess somehow that will comeback to being Buckley's fault too no doubt.

I don't think GWS will get to a premiership while Heath Shaw is there, they're still someways off even playing finals. While I miss Heater at the club, it was hard to see him remaining there. It was probably a good idea for him to be moved on.

Ceglar might come down as a mistake, but guess we all make them.

Without injuries I'd think the Pies would be close to top eight, still a long way off a flag though.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:11 pm

ceglar certainly showed a little bit when playing in our vfl but hardly set the world on fire. amazing what a second chance can do. perhaps it was the wake up call he needed. so many talented players don't take their opportunities and end up getting moved on. good luck to the lad for getting games ahead of mcevoy but he was behind grundy and witts. at the time, most observers would have agreed with this pecking order.

this one is getting boring.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Everybody knows that big men take time
to develop.
I always thought ceglar could play and was
surprised he was let go.
We should have kept him because of his
age profile (23 and 7 months ). Two young guns, ceglar and huddo.
I'm not overly rapt with his ability, but having no
ruck in his age bracket wasn't smart thinking.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 pm

John Wren wrote:
ceglar certainly showed a little bit when playing in our vfl but hardly set the world on fire. amazing what a second chance can do. perhaps it was the wake up call he needed. so many talented players don't take their opportunities and end up getting moved on. good luck to the lad for getting games ahead of mcevoy but he was behind grundy and witts. at the time, most observers would have agreed with this pecking order.

Ceglar is a very ordinary footballer and will be dropped from the Hawks team this week. He would not get a game at Collingwood.
toovmeister 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Quote:

Maintain the faith. Earlier in 2014 we comprehensively took the swans to the cleaners in syd, and got within 11 pts of the cats who were flying early doors. We dismantled north on easter saturday, and reeled in ess after giving them a 6 goals start on anzac day, not to mention the annual slaughtering of the tiges that took place. Later in the year, we also beat port. In summary, we comprehensively beat 5 of this year's finalists at some point in 2014, including 3 of the 4 prelim finalists. On any given day we can clearly beat the cats. the hawks are our obvious bogey side, and freo are a problem

However, the moral of the story is that our best is actually still pretty good. We just could not get any continuity into the 22 sent out each week in 2014 due to injuries and untimely suspensions such as sidebottom's. Esp in defence, we basically had to deal with not having our 3 best tall defenders all year (brown, reid, maxwell) plus a late start for williams, 15 weeks out for sinclair, toovey missing a few with inj, seedsman having hip surgery pre season, and heritier being what i'll term 'unsettled'. Result was we had to rely on 2 rookies in keefe and frost to hold down the key posts, and had to send one of our early season forward success stories in goldsack to the back half once maxwell went down. Don't underestimate the impact this latter decision had, as goldy's role was just so vital early in the year inside 50

i am not saying we will win the flag in 2015, because clearly we won't - but there will no doubt be a chorus of disapproval about the pies chances in 2015 over summer, and i suspect we are going to surprise a lot of the pundits with a kinder run with injury in 2015. Can easily finish 5-8
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:07 pm

toovmeister wrote:
Quote:

Maintain the faith. Earlier in 2014 we comprehensively took the swans to the cleaners in syd, and got within 11 pts of the cats who were flying early doors. We dismantled north on easter saturday, and reeled in ess after giving them a 6 goals start on anzac day, not to mention the annual slaughtering of the tiges that took place. Later in the year, we also beat port. In summary, we comprehensively beat 5 of this year's finalists at some point in 2014, including 3 of the 4 prelim finalists. On any given day we can clearly beat the cats. the hawks are our obvious bogey side, and freo are a problem

However, the moral of the story is that our best is actually still pretty good. We just could not get any continuity into the 22 sent out each week in 2014 due to injuries and untimely suspensions such as sidebottom's. Esp in defence, we basically had to deal with not having our 3 best tall defenders all year (brown, reid, maxwell) plus a late start for williams, 15 weeks out for sinclair, toovey missing a few with inj, seedsman having hip surgery pre season, and heritier being what i'll term 'unsettled'. Result was we had to rely on 2 rookies in keefe and frost to hold down the key posts, and had to send one of our early season forward success stories in goldsack to the back half once maxwell went down. Don't underestimate the impact this latter decision had, as goldy's role was just so vital early in the year inside 50

i am not saying we will win the flag in 2015, because clearly we won't - but there will no doubt be a chorus of disapproval about the pies chances in 2015 over summer, and i suspect we are going to surprise a lot of the pundits with a kinder run with injury in 2015. Can easily finish 5-8

THINGS can turn around fast tho mate, look at Port, a basketcase two yrs ago, just missed a GF by lousy cheating umpires, it can change fast !! Idea Wink

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:58 pm

I guess we wait until the draw that should give a better gauge on things, I'd think if we got the top sides twice again it might be difficult again.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:54 pm

The Prototype wrote:
I guess we wait until the draw that should give a better gauge on things, I'd think if we got the top sides twice again it might be difficult again.

That is an absolute given. Collingwood is the AFL gravy train. You can be certain we'll play all the top sides in the first 13 rounds. We'll get no favours with the AFL fixture.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:36 am

Just have to see how the draw goes, and how we play, etc.

It's not a certainty that even with a 'soft draw' that we'd come out with the perfect out come either... just have to see how we go I guess. Looking at how this season went there were games where the easybeats shouldn't have won but did.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:56 am

toovmeister wrote:
Quote:

Our midfield minus Beams is going to be one of the weaker in the competition - Ball gone, Swan on the way done, Beams gone. We're losing an elite rebounding defender (on the back of losing another one in Shaw). Our forward line is Trav and Jamie or nothing - and we're taking an ENORMOUS punt on a bloke who has physical and mental injuries. Not to mention we've got two fragile blokes (Brown and Reid) to rely on and two top ten picks who can't step forward bar they get injured. Our ruck division is still two kids...

I just can't see anything but a disaster of a season looming...there's no strength in the side you can point to and claim it's going to carry us forward? We're better than Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton and can compete with the Cats because they are pretty slow - the rest? Can't see us beating too many other side sorry.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:17 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Ceglar is a very ordinary footballer and will be dropped from the Hawks team this week. He would not get a game at Collingwood.

ceglar named an emergency. break the news gently to spindog.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:21 pm

How about Cyril?

Bruce has been abstaining all this week in the hope he can have a monster orgasm on GF day.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:42 pm

swoop42 wrote:
How about Cyril?

Bruce has been abstaining all this week in the hope he can have a monster orgasm on GF day.

I guess Bruce will be having to watch replays of years gone by.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: