Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Swoop42's avatar and the ethics of looking

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
I'm a lot more concerned about teenagers having pics released by friends/boyfriends and they end up killing themselves than I am for a few hyper wealthy, privileged actresses who are happy to put themselves out there for a dollar. This all such a storm in a teacup. The outrage comes from the same media that buys Brittney upskirt pics and publishes them.

Once again, I think we're talking different media outlets. Any handwringing from The Herald Sun or The Daily Mail would obviously be hypocritical, but I don't think that's where most of the commentary is coming from.

I do feel sympathy for them, I have to say. These are human beings who have so little in the way of privacy already, and they've just had their privacy violated on a whole new level. What they do for a job or how much money they earn doesn't necessarily make that any less harmful or upsetting.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Celebrities comparing people viewing nude photos of said celebrity, that said celebrity did not intend to be made public, to said celebrity being raped need to be slapped vigorously across the face with a 5kg fresh halibut until they get over themselves and attain a sense of perspective.

Said that again please

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:02 pm

think positive wrote:

Said that again please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKrvLFYtzE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Geez, sorry. I was trying to be concise.

Not your post ya bozo Very Happy
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:45 pm

TS;DR
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:56 pm

^ ! Smile
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:05 pm

This is stolen property. You are using it. If it were an iPad which has been stolen from her house, we'd all clearly see that this was wrong. It's doubly wrong because sexuality is more private to most of us than most other things.

That said, swoop's avatar is tamer than most of the things that you see in movies and consistent with her chosen public image. To that extent, i think it's ok. But looking at her private photos naked photos of herself? That's using stolen property completely against the generator's will. It's wrong.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 pm

^ Agree totally with that.

For me - after nursing for 30 years I have no desire to spend my time away from work looking at naked bodies - boring!!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Mugwump wrote:
This is stolen property. You are using it. If it were an iPad which has been stolen from her house, we'd all clearly see that this was wrong. It's doubly wrong because sexuality is more private to most of us than most other things.

That said, swoop's avatar is tamer than most of the things that you see in movies and consistent with her chosen public image. To that extent, i think it's ok. But looking at her private photos naked photos of herself? That's using stolen property completely against the generator's will. It's wrong.

I'm definitely inclined to agree with you. Out of curiosity, though, did you feel the same about the St. Kilda pictures that were leaked? Why or why not?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:24 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I'm definitely inclined to agree with you. Out of curiosity, though, did you feel the same about the St. Kilda pictures that were leaked? Why or why not?

I can't recall the specific context of those photos being taken or published, but I remember feeling similarly at that time, yes. I didn't look at the pictures, I felt they had nothing to do with their public status as footballers, and I felt it wrong that anyone should be embarrassed publicly that way. It may be marginally less serious insofar as we attach less cultural value to male modesty than female, but that's of course a matter for the subject of the photo. I'm disinclined to locate the thread, but i'd be surprised if i did not say something along those lines at that time, if i commented at all.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Fair enough, Mugwump. I think you would have been well in the minority, though. Here was the initial Nick's thread for anyone who's interested. Not a great deal of sympathy in there, to say the least!

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=60517

Of course, the general online reaction to this current story hasn't been much better. But it would be interesting to compare the Fairfax op eds then and now. From memory, the harm done to Riewoldt and Dal Santo was kind of just brushed off by most columnists, who were much too busy getting sucked in by the teenage "victim".
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:08 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I can't recall the specific context of those photos being taken or published, but I remember feeling similarly at that time, yes. I didn't look at the pictures, I felt they had nothing to do with their public status as footballers, and I felt it wrong that anyone should be embarrassed publicly that way. It may be marginally less serious insofar as we attach less cultural value to male modesty than female, but that's of course a matter for the subject of the photo. I'm disinclined to locate the thread, but i'd be surprised if i did not say something along those lines at that time, if i commented at all.

Embarassed

Still on my puter!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:08 pm

Whatever happened to Kim Duthie?

I must say I was worried for her when I heard Nixon and Ablett had teamed up for God knows what.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:11 am

^ Hopefully grew up a little and is doing her best to live a normal life. I think the less we hear about her the better...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:30 am

Didn't she get engaged and move to Queensland?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: