Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mexico's Gang Wars: 80,000 dead, 22,000 missing since 2006

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:30 am
Post subject: Mexico's Gang Wars: 80,000 dead, 22,000 missing since 2006Reply with quote

As a preface, all I ask is that folk broaden their world knowledge before forming broad theories about nations, religions, peoples, political systems and violence. Moreover, the sooner we stop tolerating fearmongering and vilification based on extremely abstract, almost entirely creative mental constructs such as "Western civilisation", "the Chinese", "Islam", "the direction the world is heading in", "our way", "them", and so on, the better.

The world is a very complex place. Despite being 90% Christian—that's 90% Christian, not 90% Muslim, Latin America bears an horrific extent of global violence. I mention this not to burden people with even more dark news, but to challenge some of the very targeted irrational and ill-disciplined conclusions being drawn about what is a great diversity of Muslim peoples.

In case you missed some of the more horrific recent killings in other parts of the world, 43 university students went missing late last year in Mexico, believed to have been abducted and incinerated or dumped in a river, possibly at the behest of a mayor and his wife, but no one really knows given how corrupt the government is.

abc.net.au wrote:
If all 43 are confirmed killed, it would rank among the worst mass murders in a drug war that has killed more than 80,000 people and left 22,000 others missing since 2006 in Mexico.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-07/one-of-43-missing-mexican-students-identified-among-charred-rem/5949530

The 43 having gone missing is bad enough, but those numbers since 2006 are beyond comprehension. And to think, this barely rates a mention in many parts of the world. Please factor it into your theories, is all I'm saying.

More on this story (links from the bottom of an abc.net.au page):

Attorney general makes massacre gaffe
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-09/mexican-students-riot-over-missing-43-feared-massacred/5877642

Mexico says missing students likely burned to ashes
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-08/mexico-says-missing-students-likely-burned-to-ashes-by-gang/5876922

Former mayor and wife arrested in Mexico City
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-05/mexico-catches-mayor-blamed-for-students-disappearance/5866932

Mexico catches gang leader in missing students case
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-18/mexico-catches-gang-leader-in-missing-students-case/5823958

Some bodies unearthed in Mexico graves 'not students'
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-12/some-bodies-in-mexico-graves-are-not-students/5807390

Militia searches for 43 missing Mexican students
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-09/militia-searches-for-43-missing-mexican-students/5800282

Mexican president vows justice over massacre
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-07/mexican-president-vows-to-bring-massacre-culprits-to-justice/5794498

Security staff 'conspired to kill missing Mexican students'
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-06/hitmen-admit-killing-17-of-43-missing-mexico-students/5792612

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Are yes, I can see this turning into a USA problem!

22 years ago we popped over the border for a day, $£$%^%%$ scary place even back then. Last 2 visits travel warnings said don't go, so we didn't! No different to any of the other countries we argue about, they just don't use religion as the excuse to kill each other. It's about power, money, evil. And they generally don't try to take their reach around the globe.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:31 am

^Well, actually, Christianity has long tried to take its ideas all around the world, while drugs also seem to travel quite well Wink

The point I would focus on here, though, is that simply noticing a proximate relationship between a vague category (e.g., "Christian") and some complex phenomenon (e.g., "high gang homicide rates"), very likely tells you nothing meaningful about the world.

To go from that to vilifying people, or formulating theories about the fate or state of "civilisations"—as if you've just discovered something so sure and so meaningful that you can even run calculations off it—is incredibly undisciplined, and in many cases extremely unethical and/or dangerous and violent.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 am

Interesting, just completely irrelevant to the fact that Islamists are now regularly trying to overthrow our way of life by murdering uninvolved civilians in our country, and that's a subject for serious public policy. When the Mexican gangs and the notoriously corrupt Mexican state starts doing that here, i reckon there might be some serious thinking about how to deal with that problem, too.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:38 am

Mugwump wrote:
Interesting, just completely irrelevant to the fact that Islamists are now regularly trying to overthrow our way of life by murdering uninvolved civilians in our country, and that's a subject for serious public policy. When the Mexican gangs and the notoriously corrupt Mexican state starts doing that here, i reckon there might be some serious thinking about how to deal with that problem, too.

So, analysing culture and religion is irrelevant to analyses about culture and religion? Or have I misunderstood you?

I also would have thought drugs and crime related to Latin American drug gangs have had an enormous impact on a lot of people's lives in a lot of countries. Or does that not qualify as "here" or perhaps not impact "your way of life"?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 am

pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

So, analysing culture and religion is irrelevant to analyses about culture and religion? Or have I misunderstood you?

I also would have thought drugs and crime related to Latin American drug gangs have had an enormous impact on a lot of people's lives in a lot of countries. Or does that not qualify as "here" or perhaps not impact "your way of life"?

Keep drawing that bow as long you like, it'll never be long enough to hit the false equivalence you seem to be striving for.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:18 am

ah, the perfect solution, stick a bunch of hard line muslims in the middle of cartel country, could be a hell of a movie there!!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:19 am

So you understand. Good. Is that a fact.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 am

Mugwump wrote:

Yeah, good point. Why don't we just let the problem grow and fester for another decade or two until it's too big to stop and spreads into our own back yard? Wouldn't that be more sensible?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 am

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Yeah, good point. Why don't we just let the problem grow and fester for another decade or two until it's too big to stop and spreads into our own back yard? Wouldn't that be more sensible?

you mean like we did we the jihads?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:32 am

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

you know, that might never happen, but if there's a solution to it out there, I'll chip in a tenner.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:35 am

And then what happened?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 pm

Mugwump wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Keep drawing that bow as long you like, it'll never be long enough to hit the false equivalence you seem to be striving for.

Unfortunately, comparative analysis is the main tool we have when analysing mass, nebulous phenomena that cannot be dragged into a laboratory.

This is why when analysing, say, narcogangs or narcoterrorism, you would look at Latin America, Central Asia, West Africa, Southeast Asia, and so on, to try to get a feel for the general phenomenon.

The same applies to the study of religion and culture; this is standard practice and beyond that about the best we can do.

So, please tell me why you believe theories of religion, culture, civilisation and violence—and you do often talk about such things—would not benefit from studying one of the most violent and strongly religious regions on the planet?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 pm

think positive wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

you mean like we did we the jihads?

Exactly!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Why don't we just let the problem grow and fester for another decade or two until it's too big to stop and spreads into our own back yard? Wouldn't that be more sensible?

you know, that might never happen, but if there's a solution to it out there, I'll chip in a tenner.

I think the Libs call that the "direct action" approach to narcoterrorism.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: